JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
Ad Type
  1. For Sale
  2. For Trade
Price
$850
Manufacturer
Century Arms
Caliber
7.62x51mm
City
Aloha
State
Oregon
Zip Code
This is a basic FAL in .308 Winchester / 7.62x51mm NATO. Not a fancy one. It was built by Century (CAI) from a parts kit on an Imbel receiver. Some of the parts were used. Everything works fine, but the gas piston is a bit under-size (read: worn) and under-powered ammunition will frequently fail to cycle the action. Full-power ammo works fine. It shoots 3 to 4 minute groups with 147/150gr ball ammo. I never tried handloads in it so I can't say what it will do with better quality ammo. I bought it on a whim several years ago and have fired a total of about 250 rounds through it. Includes two 20 round magazines (metric pattern), an operation/maintenance book and a partial case (~750 rds) of ball ammo. The plastic forend is an aftermarket one. The rifle came to me with an aluminum forend with an integral folding bipod, all that hardware is also included.

I have extra magazines and ammo for it but I'll be selling those separately.

I'll consider trades, but the only things I'm interested in currently would be a Winchester 1873 or an older (pre-Remington) Marlin 1894 in .45 Colt with a 20" octagon barrel, or a nice CZ 457 AT-One or Tikka T1-x .22LR with a threaded muzzle (1/2-28). Prefer a Portland-area buyer as I'm not interested in shipping guns.

DSC_0194.png
DSC_0195.png
DSC_0214.png
DSC_0216.png
DSC_0217.png
DSC_0212.png
DSC_0208.png
DSC_0209.png
DSC_0211.png

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
Last Edited:
Sorry, but what's in the ad is all I know about it. I bought it fully assembled. I'm not enough of an FAL guy to know what to look for. The rifling looks good and sharp though.

Do you know what parts kit? Barrel condition and MFG?

The pics provided are less than optimal but I can say this.....

Appears to be an early Stg trigger housing (lower)... could also be G-1...Barrel is bipod cut, but unfortunately neutered....maybe Stg?? Definately has an Stg gas plug up front.. removing the handgards to expose the gas system and barrel markings would help ALOT...a serial number is telling also..
Charging handle knob looks to be G-1..Rifle might be mish mash of both, the Angry Beavers of Canada were never very discerning...

OK, I updated the photos with higher res ones including some new shots of the gas port/plug area and the left side of the barrel. After I put the camera away I noticed another stamping on the right side of the barrel: "48199". That is, I presume a serial number for the barrel. I hope these help you decide what you're looking at.

The barrel is definately an early Belgian produced Stg.
And as was already said, the Imbel receiver even used, is worth 600...probably get more in the Fal Files marketplace. Its too bad the sites down at the moment...

You're right, I don't actually see anything on it that says CAI. That was probably just an assumption on my part. Like I said it was an impulse buy (sexy looking rifle at what seemed a reasonable price), not something that I did any research on.

You're right, I don't actually see anything on it that says CAI. That was probably just an assumption on my part. Like I said it was an impulse buy (sexy looking rifle at what seemed a reasonable price), not something that I did any research on.

So it has no CAI markings anywhere??

I'm not actually sure. If you look at the 5th photo above, with the PAC serial number, you can see the remains of a stamping right above the SN. Two of them actually. The upper one says "308", which I take to be a caliber marking. The other (lower) one seems to be poorly stamped but the last three characters in it MIGHT say CAI. If I had to guess, that's probably where I came to the conclusion that it's a CAI build. I bought it at a gun show and don't have the receipt for it any more, so no help there. No idea why the obvious PAC engraving didn't strike me as odd for a CAI rifle.

Well worth the asking price in todays climate. Why do you think the gas piston is wore out, have you taken it to a smith? Set for full power ammo it is very common for a fal to not cycle lower power ammo a simple adjustment of the gas system is all that is usually needed. GLWS

I did some searching and found the specs for the gas piston. The one that came in the gun mic'd under the minimum diameter, and even some full power ammo failed to cycle with the gas vent closed down all the way. I found another used piston online, it measured on the small side of spec but still in spec, so I installed it and now full power ammo cycles the gun reliably (as long as the bolt carrier is adequately lubricated) even with the gas vent opened up a couple clicks.

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.