JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK, it's finally gotten so bad that I've decided to go for cataract surgery. I can't shoot a decent group even with a good scope, much less iron sights. They can't correct my vision to any better than about 20/50 on my right side, which is my dominant shooting eye.

So the thing is there are several choices as to what kind of lenses they install. I can get near sighted lenses and use glasses for far vision (not very appealing), or I can get far sighted lenses and use reading glasses for close work (probably my choice), or I can get radial bifocal lenses that take some getting used to, and that some people find that they hate (after it's too late, of course).

Now, for everyday stuff, yeah, there's no question. Get the far sighted lenses and use reading glasses like I've been doing for 20 years. But for various sighting systems and the firearms they are used on I'm not so sure. If I get the far sighted lenses what happens to iron sights with both rifle and pistol?

Which lenses will work best with a scope? Scopes can be adjusted to accommodate the user's vision, but which vision, far or near are we adjusting it for when we adjust the ocular lens at the eyepiece?

I want to make the right choice here, because it's kinda permanent. I was once a pretty good competition shooter, winning many matches. Not being able to effectively use a decent scope has really been an irritation for me, but with iron sights out of the question there aren't many alternatives. Anybody out there have experience with this? Thoughts? Observations? I mean, I'm going to bring this up with the surgeons, but I'm not sure they are going to know what I'm talking about.

My mom had cataract surgery and now has better vision than she ever had before. She always wore corrective lenses and now nothing! She's 78 and has better vision than me! I can ask her what specifically she had done if you want. Convo if so. Either way I wish you luck my friend! :)

My mom had cataract surgery and now has better vision than she ever had before. She always wore corrective lenses and now nothing! She's 78 and has better vision than me! I can ask her what specifically she had done if you want. Convo if so. Either way I wish you luck my friend! :)
Thanks! Do ask her what she got please.

I have had both eye done and had them done for distance. I see through a scope just fine. And shooting a pistol at arms length is good also. I prefer distance just because if I ever break my glasses I can still drive just fine. I had RK done some 15 years ago so that kind of made getting the lenses dead on not possible do to fluctuation in vision due to having RK but boy she did a good job. Dr. Rebecca Armour she is rank pretty high in the field of eye surgery.

I have had both eyes done. 20/20 dominant right eye 20/30 left eye. Need to use 1.5 reading glasses for close work and iron rifle sights. Glases not needed for pistol iron sights, but helps. On scopes glasses not needed and the ocular lens is adjusted out a little more then before.
For me it was worth every cent.

I have had both eyes done. 20/20 dominant right eye 20/30 left eye. Need to use 1.5 reading glasses for close work and iron rifle sights. Glases not needed for pistol iron sights, but helps. On scopes glasses not needed and the ocular lens is adjusted out a little more then before.
For me it was worth every cent.
Thank you! That really helps.

Optometrist here. A scope is set up for distance, so if your lenses are set for distance that will be fine. If you are used to having good distance vision and needing reading glasses I would strongly recommend sticking with that set up. The majority of my patients go this route and are very pleased. Typically I don't recommend bifocal type lenses for most people. Having your dominant eye set for distance and non dominant eye set slightly near sighted can be a good way to go as well, and will make you feel a little less dependent on reading glasses day to day, and a little more comfortable on iron sights. This usually would slightly compromise distance vision. (Might be how ar addict is set up).

I did nearsighted for both eyes figuring that's what I have been use to for sixty years.

Hindsight, I may have rather had farsighted. Jury is still out since I can't try that.

Regardless of choice, I believe there will be collateral issues one will have to deal with Like I still need magnifying lenses for up close hands on detail work. On the other hand, when I am in the shop, reading or on the computer, I don't need my glasses up to about eight feet which is a vast improvement for me (when I was younger I still needed reading lenses as I could only see out to about 14 inches really clear)

Tough making choices when you can't take the options out for a spin before hand.
For me now, Iron sights are not viable unless they are really large like on BP guns, Scopes and red dot solve all other problems just fine and maybe even better while point and shoot practice @ 7 yards leaves me comfortable for self defense.
Good luck
What ever you choose will be better than seeing a fuzzy world!

I had both done farsighted. I don't need glasses at the range or hunting except to read something. Scopes and open sights don't give me any problems. Peep sights are a bit fuzzy but doable in good daylight. I really thought having it done would help my golf game but apparently there is something called skill involved:D.
Good luck!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads