JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
are Case length/head space gauges all about the same/equal I am looking to get a Lyman's length/head space gauge for $18 (looks like normal price is $21-27) But was seeing others for like $30ish
Range Dillon jp oh except hornady was also $18ish down from $21

are Case length/head space gauges all about the same/equal I am looking to get a Lyman's length/head space gauge for $18 (looks like normal price is $21-27) But was seeing others for like $30ish
Range Dillon jp oh except hornady was also $18ish down from $21
Do you mean quality wise?

I couldn't/wouldn't say one brand vs the next has a "better" tolerance. I'd hope that they were all made to the SAAMI specs. But, QC of one brand vs another and one dies vs. another even from the same mfn....Ok, ok, ok.....ME, I'd just choose a brand and buy it. WARNING: You'll still need to be aware of the chamber "differences" of your own rifles.

STORY TIME.....

My reloaded .308 Win ammo fit my M1a easily. But, when I tried the same ammo in my bolt action Rem 700 (.308 Win)....well, it didn't chamber. Humm.....ok, so I screwed down the re-sizing die down a bit more. The new ammo is just passing, in the gauge test. Remember, there is a high and a low cut, to test for re-sized brass to still be acceptable. Now, the ammo would work in both rifles.

Bottom line: chambers vary and a little bit could be all the difference.

Aloha, Mark

Yesterday I ordered a Lyman gauge should get it tomorrow. But when I was ordering it I saw a ammo checker which checks to make sure your case will fit the chamber (sammi spec) not head space but it seems if you have your die adjusted low enough on the case you should be ok but with that being said wouldn't that also apply to head space

I have the Lyman set that has multiple calibers per block.

I haven't had any issues on the calibers I check. In fact they have saved my bacon a few times.

C18B628F-4C6C-4DC0-B31F-2C42FAEE6551.jpeg
Yes, I use all three and it's glorious.

Yesterday I ordered a Lyman gauge should get it tomorrow. But when I was ordering it I saw a ammo checker which checks to make sure your case will fit the chamber (sammi spec) not head space but it seems if you have your die adjusted low enough on the case you should be ok but with that being said wouldn't that also apply to head space

The Lyman gauge shouldn't really be called a "headspace gauge" by definition. It's checking the cartridge dimensions against SAAMI min/max dimensions, but does not measure the cartridge dimensions compared to your chamber dimensions.

Another way to go is the Sinclair system. The inserts go by body 'family' so they can be used for more than just one caliber.
SINCLAIR INTERNATIONAL SINCLAIR BUMP GAGE INSERT | Sinclair Intl

This tool, the Hornady headspace comparator, or an RCBS precision micrometer would be the best way to actually check the headspace of your rifle.

You take a once-fired case that was fired out of your specific rifle, measure it with the comparator or micrometer, and then set your sizing die to set the shoulder back 0.001-0.003". This may or may not fit your cartridge checker or case gauge, but it is properly headspaced for that rifle.

If your rifle has a very generous chamber, this may be larger than SAAMI specs. If you were to resize brass to SAAMI specs for a rifle with a generous chamber, you are actually creating unnecessary and excessive headspace for that rifle, which will likely shorten the lifespan of the brass.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, a rifle might have a chamber that is right at minimum SAAMI dimensions, or possibly even undersized, especially if it is a match chamber. In this case, you can size the brass to match the chamber, but then may have slightly more headspace when using that ammunition in a standard SAAMI chamber.

Where the Lyman case gauge and equivalent comes in handy is when loading for multiple rifles, where you are better off loading to SAAMI dimensions rather than specific chamber dimensions.

If you're looking to check the actual headspace of your cartridges to your rifle, the Lyman case gauge is not the right tool for the job.

I use that style of gauge (described in Post #16). Checks the "headspace" of my resized brass and also checks for case length.

Yes, there are more precise ways of getting things done. Post #11

Aloha, Mark

PS.......I believe that the picture of the gauge in post #8 (I don't own one) is for measuring loaded ammo. It does NOT do the "same thing" as the gauge in Post #16.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads