Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Cap forest gravel pit

Discussion in 'Outdoor Shooting Areas' started by slugman, Feb 20, 2011.

1. slugman

slugman Tacoma New Member

:thumbup:hello all;
    Gravel pit is a great place to shoot. When is the next clean up. My daughter and I are in.Slugman

2. olydemon

olydemon Olympia Active Member

I've been meaning to get out there to shoot... need to get a few more guns first ...

3. DavinFelth

DavinFelth Olympia Member

I went there for the last time today. Every time I'd been there, poor firearm safety was used. Today, I had a gun pointed my direction within two minutes of getting out of the car, so I got back in the car and left.

4. olydemon

That sucks. I tried going last month to shoot a .22 pistol I got at the gun show. As I pulled up a group of kids were getting out of a lifted 4x4. They had a few rifles and one girl was walking with it with her finger on the trigger and pointed out, not down or out. There were enough other yahoos that it just didn't feel good so I left. There is an organized shoot coming up on the 25th put on by the WAguns guys that could be a lot of fun. They will have range control calling cease fires and I would guess general attendance will be a lot more safety minded. I want to go to that but have a family reunion and soccer the same day...

5. Spikele

Spikele Bellevue Member

What is up with the...old guy and brass collecting?

6. olydemon

He is a volunteer that probably has helped keep the pit open. I know some people say he is pretty aggressive, you can just tell him you reload and he will leave you alone.... or so I read on other forums. Ive never met him as I avoid the pit generally except for last weekend with the WGO/SGN group shoot that was held there.

See more about Frank here:
    Volunteer spotlight: Frank Venske | Cleaning up Triangle Pit one shell casing at a time

7. DavinFelth

DavinFelth Olympia Member

Anyone know if the new DNR Discovery Pass is required there now? If so, I have friends to warn so they don't get a ticket. :)

8. olydemon

From my understanding, yes. It is DNR managed land and roads. Sucks too because the pass is tied to the vehicle so you can't just swap them between rides.

9. sowatnao

sowatnao seattle Member

where is this pit? do you need 4WD to get there?

10. olydemon

Go to WaGuns.org - Index page and check out the shooting areas map. It's listed as capitol forest, wadell creek, or Google capitol forest triangle pit.4x4 not needed, but it is DNR managed land so now you need the $35 Washington discover pass or face $99 ticket.