JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I got my ar back from a gunsmith, after a month wait I have to say the work is quite dissapointing. The front sight post was suppose to have taper pins and instead the "gunsmith" used roll pins because in his words it was "difficult" as he said. And the fsp is canted slightly to the left, any way to remedy the cant while reaming out the pins? The cant is hard to see in pictures but is there. The pin and weld wasnt very good either but that's easy enough with a file and a little cold blue.

20200625_100914.jpg 20200625_101109.jpg 20200625_161107.jpg

Looks like he also drilled them to high. I center the pin holes in the square. I also use a fixture so nothing is canted.
It's most likely drilled for 1/8" roll pins.
It's kind of a tricky fix now that it's got canted thru holes.
I would set it up in the mill on the fixture. Drilled it with a carbide endmill to get a straight thru hole.
Then use an over size 3/0 taper reamer and team it to size. BUT it's drilled high near the bore. So i would do a little math before doing anything.

More importantly, when you brought up the issues, what did the gun smith say?

What a lame. Properly installing an FSB is no small task, fixing a screwed up one is an even more difficult job. This guy has potentially ruined your barrel for it's intended purpose*, and at minimum has cost you money for the not so easy fix. Also, he should have use taper pins. Did the placard on the door read "Bubba's Gunsmithing"?

*You can always LPGB it, would be a cheaper "fix".

P.S. When I build an AR with a FSB, the barrel comes with it preinstalled, I'm not sending it to nobody.

What a lame. Properly installing an FSB is no small task, fixing a screwed up one is an even more difficult job. This guy has potentially ruined your barrel for it's intended purpose*, and at minimum has cost you money for the not so easy fix. Also, he should have use taper pins. Did the placard on the door read "Bubba's Gunsmithing"?

*You can always LPGB it, would a cheaper "fix".

P.S. When I build an AR with a FSB, the barrel comes with it preinstalled, I'm not sending it to nobody.

I would of bought it with the fsb already installed but bcm didnt have any pre assembled uppers so I bought the parts seperately. A lo-pro gas block would defeat the purpose of what I was going for. I know the job isn't easy which is why I thought to bring it too a "professional"

IMO he should be paying Tim's gunsmithing fees.
Depending on what it takes to fix this mistake, I'm going to try to fix it or risk having another gun smith fix it. At that point I will be sending him a bill or have him order me a replacement. Who is Tim? I haven't talked to any gunsmith locally that has been willing to even look at it now.

Depending on what it takes to fix this mistake, I'm going to try to fix it or risk having another gun smith fix it. At that point I will be sending him a bill or have him order me a replacement. Who is Tim? I haven't talked to any gunsmith locally that has been willing to even look at it now.

Tim Copeland @Velzey

He posted above, if he can't take of you I doubt you'll find any one else locally that can.

My point with the LPGB is it may be a cheaper path to go with for this particular barrel.

Last Edited:
I've only had one pin and weld done in the past. No crush washed was used. He timed it, added a correctly sized shim and done. Looks weird to see a crush washer instead of a shim.
BCM sent it with the flash hider, that one I wouldnt blame the gunsmith as it was what I supplied him with

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top