JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm trying to change my night sights and I can't get the front night sight off. It's not the screw on type. I'm not sure how to get it off. I seem to have managed to loosen it a little trying to get it off with a punch from inside the slide, however; still can't get it off.

Not sure how to get it off, it doesn't have a screw to unscrew on the inside like most do. I don't remember the brand but I think they are old Trijicons 10+ years old.

If it isn't the newer screw-post style, simply grab the front sight with pliars and rock it side to side since you say you have it loosened already. You might need to use vise grips for a solid grip. Staked on sights are a pain.

If it isn't the newer screw-post style, simply grab the front sight with pliars and rock it side to side since you say you have it loosened already. You might need to use vise grips for a solid grip. Staked on sights are a pain.

Yeah, I've tried that several times. It doesn't seem to be helping. It is however marring the sight pretty bad. I did plan to resell the sight (heard you can get $30 for steel sights on egay)

Yeah, I've tried that several times. It doesn't seem to be helping. It is however marring the sight pretty bad. I did plan to resell the sight (heard you can get $30 for steel sights on egay)

Not sure that you'd be able to re-use a staked in sight anyway - but if there's anything protruding from the hole the sight is staked into, can you take a flat blade screw driver and tap the sides inside the hole to make them narrower, so you can tap it out with a punch? If that doesn't help, you might have to take it to a gunsmith to get it out.

Not sure that you'd be able to re-use a staked in sight anyway - but if there's anything protruding from the hole the sight is staked into, can you take a flat blade screw driver and tap the sides inside the hole to make them narrower, so you can tap it out with a punch? If that doesn't help, you might have to take it to a gunsmith to get it out.

You are right, I read that on google search results. Stacked sights can't be reused, bummer. OK, going to try the screwdriver suggestion, BRB.

Well, the screwdriver can't get enough angle in such a tight space, though I tried it with needlenose pliers sqeezing the crap out of it to try to narrow it, no luck. This sucks! Who on earth invented such a stupid set of sights! I now have a new pair of night sights on the rear, and a slightly loose pair of front sights that I can't get off.

Well, the screwdriver can't get enough angle in such a tight space, though I tried it with needlenose pliers sqeezing the crap out of it to try to narrow it, no luck. This sucks! Who on earth invented such a stupid set of sights! I now have a new pair of night sights on the rear, and a slightly loose pair of front sights that I can't get off.

Staked sights have been used a long time - but Glock could've gone with screw-post sights, or dovetailed sights and saved a lot of gun owners some headache a long time ago.

Good luck getting it off.

You could have placed a towl over a slighly opened bench vise, place the slide upsidedown on top of it so that the sight post is between the jaws of the vice, then smacked it out with a hammer and punch.

That's how I removed my Glock factory front sight in order to install a new set of Trigicon tritiums, then I used a hammer and punch to drift the rear sights in and out, using the jaws of the vice in similar fashion.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top