JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can you or not carry canceled on COCC campuses I have been told yes and no it is posted on their doors no firearms but what is the real scoop? I have read the regs
Found this in one of the local papers
Though gun bans posed by the Oregon Board of Higher Education have been challenged, Central Oregon college students will still have to leave their guns at home, whether they have a permit or not.
The Supreme Court ruled in September 2011 that the ban of guns on University campuses imposed by the Oregon Board of Higher Education was in violation of the Concealed Carry Act. Though universities have had to revise their rules, Central Oregon Community College and Oregon State University-Cascades are so far unaffected. Community colleges are under the jurisdiction of local boards, and so are exempt from the rule changes made by the Oregon Board of Higher Education.
Though OSU-Cascades is technically a university campus, it too is exempt from the lift of gun bans because the building is owned by COCC, and when the campus formed it was agreed upon that they would follow COCC rules and regulations.
"It's not really a shared campus as far as rules go," said Ron Paradis, head of college relations.
Currently, COCC's policy states that "no firearms, ammunition, or fireworks of any kind are permitted to be carried or used on campus except by authorized civil authorities in charge of their duties.

166.170 State preemption.
(1) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, the authority to regulate in any matter whatsoever the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition, is vested solely in the Legislative Assembly.

(2) Except as expressly authorized by state statute, no county, city or other municipal corporation or district may enact civil or criminal ordinances, including but not limited to zoning ordinances, to regulate, restrict or prohibit the sale, acquisition, transfer, ownership, possession, storage, transportation or use of firearms or any element relating to firearms and components thereof, including ammunition. Ordinances that are contrary to this subsection are void. [1995 s.s. c.1 §1]

As you can see, the state board of higher education does not have the authority to regulate firearms. That said, they do have the authority to piss on your grades if they decide that you are no longer in compliance with some stupid illegal administrative rule.

I'm no longer in college, and I have no problem carrying a firearm in any public building such as a school with a valid CHL. However, since it would appear that you are a student, just be aware that if they ever found your legally concealed firearm, they may or may not take administrative action against you.

Last Edited:
I have heard that there are a lot of military veterans going to colleges that may have carried despite what the rules say. Something about being armed around large groups of people and having the ability to take out the crazy son of a botch who decides to shoot the place up.

I carry ever day I attend Portland Community College. I carry OWB, and during the winter I got 'made' by staff at some point....not really sure, but I don't really try too hard to stay concealed. Security came up, asked a few questions, bugged me for 10 minutes and left. They did it again the next 3 times I visited campus just to waste my time though, got some names, mentioned that it's bordering harassment now and I haven't seen them since.

My stand on it is, if they receive state funding then they are a state property and fall under the ORS'. No ones probably challenged them on the 'rule' they have posted so why change it?

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top