JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Which of the companies that are producing AR-15's is the best one?

I have seen many on the web, I want to get one but I don't know what should I look for?

I have now one made by Eagle Arms it is a rifle not a carbine (long barrel -- 12" handguards)...

Just give me your opinion ???

Colt has parts in their AR's that dont fit other rifles. I say bushmaster, because I had one. ORC is my best bet. I personally think AR's are made to have a scope on them. I couldn't for the life of me figure out the iron's.
Colt
bushmaster MIL SPEC.
RRA

It all kind of depends on how much you are looking to spend. You could spend close to $2000 on one from a high end manufacturer like Lewis Machine & Tool, who I understand is top notch, down to a $500 Bubba special built in his basement with baling wire and some duct tape. Somewhere in between you have several good options. If you have a budget in mind, that would go a long way towards finding the right rifle for you.

Colt has parts in their AR's that dont fit other rifles.
HAMMER TRIGGER SEAR because of pin size BIG DEAL!

bushmaster MIL SPEC.RRA
WRONG
the only ar that is mils spec is a M16 mostly made by colt

the only ar that is a ar15 is a colt all others are clones

bushmaster is fine colt is better out of the box if you want to install a RRA into a colt no it wont work but Colt makes a comp trigger and other companies like JP do make some that fit colt

the only things that wont fit a colt from the clones are the hammer trigger and sear unless you are refering to older pre89 colts which had the large take down pins .

the sear block in later models do not affect what parts go into it that can legally be installed

colt uses better quality parts than most others this has been very will covered by wichita in another post

yes some of the newer makers are making some high quality high priced items now a days but in general will cost more than colt

colt has produced more of ar rifles than any other maker

there are coffee stains in colts office older than RRA

if you don't want or can't afford a colt, from my personal experience with bushmaster rra oly dpms model 1, del-ton, alexander arms and stag arms , i prefer Stag.

stag is also coming out with a piston driven rifle. Personally now that piston systems are coming down in price i would recommend one. should have been done 40 years ago

lots of new kids on the block now producing some really fine stuff hard to keep track of them all.

It all kind of depends on how much you are looking to spend. You could spend close to $2000 on one from a high end manufacturer like Lewis Machine & Tool, who I understand is top notch, down to a $500 Bubba special built in his basement with baling wire and some duct tape. Somewhere in between you have several good options. If you have a budget in mind, that would go a long way towards finding the right rifle for you.

Let's say $1,000 (I like round figures ... ) Where should I look ?

OK ... If I paid $700 on this Eagle Arms that was pretty basic but in tip-top shape (very clean, no jams ...good groups @100 yds) -- wa sit too much? How much should I expect to pay on a Colt, Bushmaster or Stag???

Well, you could easily spend that much on a (new) Bushmaster. Other manufacturers like S&W, Rock River, DPMS, and Olympic (a little cheaper) will be about in the same ballpark. Being in P-town, you would do well to take a look around and see what that kind of money could get you. Also think about any accessories you want. If you want to keep it stock, spend your wad on the rifle. If you need extras (don't forget mags/ammo), factor that in to your decision.

HAMMER TRIGGER SEAR because of pin size BIG DEAL!

WRONG
the only ar that is mils spec is a M16 mostly made by colt

the only ar that is a ar15 is a colt all others are clones

bushmaster is fine colt is better out of the box if you want to install a RRA into a colt no it wont work but Colt makes a comp trigger and other companies like JP do make some that fit colt

the only things that wont fit a colt from the clones are the hammer trigger and sear unless you are refering to older pre89 colts which had the large take down pins .

the sear block in later models do not affect what parts go into it that can legally be installed

colt uses better quality parts than most others this has been very will covered by wichita in another post

yes some of the newer makers are making some high quality high priced items now a days but in general will cost more than colt

colt has produced more of ar rifles than any other maker

there are coffee stains in colts office older than RRA

if you don't want or can't afford a colt, from my personal experience with bushmaster rra oly dpms model 1, del-ton, alexander arms and stag arms , i prefer Stag.

stag is also coming out with a piston driven rifle. Personally now that piston systems are coming down in price i would recommend one. should have been done 40 years ago

lots of new kids on the block now producing some really fine stuff hard to keep track of them all.

My mistake. Bushmaster XM 15. I could swear the bushmaster I had was mil spec. finish. Ya I didnt know exactly what parts from a colt didnt fit.

WRONG

OP, If you want AR15 info, check out AR15.com

yes in the way that the high end manufactures like LMT and Novenski are making parts that are up to mil spec and even higher than milspec however if they claim to be higher quality than mil spec then again they are not mil spec

A mil spec ar type rifle is a M16

what is difference between a M16 and LMT Novenski ect

the Hammer, trigger and sear and carrier and brand most m16s are made by colt and FN

whats the difference between a colt ar15 and a M16
the hammer, trigger and sear and the carrier but the brand is the same

its just that i keep seeing post where guys say that colt parts are not interchangeable when its just the fcg parts and they fail to note that. rather than say colt parts are not interchangeable they should not what parts are not thus someone in the market could decide if thats a factor for no buying one or not.

besides most colt owners want to keep it all colt anyway. the only other non matching parts are the early large front take down pin lowers and the later sear blocks all the newer colts come with small take down front pivots so they can use any upper they want

i'm not saying colt is the best sure back in the day when i got into ar type rifles they were sorry they just were not much else was out there.

now a days there have been so many improvements that have surpassed colt for example the development of the piston driven system colt being military contractor should have developed this 30-40 years ago that is my biggest gripe with them

as far as other being clones yes colt owns the trademark "ar15" orignally owned by armalite being the armalite15 colt bought the rights they were the first to market it to the civilian population

My mistake. Bushmaster XM 15. I could swear the bushmaster I had was mil spec. finish. Ya I didnt know exactly what parts from a colt didnt fit.

sorry i did'nt mean to come across so abrasive i just wish guys when they make a statement like that, that they would take the time to note what parts don't fit in others.

Btw a mil spec spec finish does not make a rifle mil spec it is only the finish of the rifle based on a certain anodizing process which hardens the outer layer of the aluminum for a more durable finish . most manufactures uses a mis spec finish but guess who set the mil spec on the finish on these? i would guess probably colt or armalite or Stoner himself while working with Armalite

there is another post somewhere on the board where wichita best described mil spec parts for example colt parts (and other higher end companies) put there parts though magnetic partical testing, pressure testing, use of higher quality metals which can handle more heat and stress not that matters to most of use weekend shooters

i am not saying buy a colt i just wanted to point out the misconceptions of the mismatched parts.

my main go to ar clone is a stag arms lefty with a RRA 2 stage trigger.

and to the op there are so many options out there now a days you kind of need to narrow it down to what you can afford, how many rds you plan to put through it during the time that you own it. how reliable you need it to be how accurate you need it to be. what kind of ammo you'll be shooting, what grain of ammo you'll be shoot (this will factor in your twist rate) . how light or how heavy , are you planning to do a lot of beta mag dumps are you using it in tactical competitions do you want it to just look pretty in a safe ect then narrow it down.

I do highly recommend a piston version i knew this would be the future of ar15 type rifles when Kurt of KKF first reserected the idea and started to develope it, had he known what it would become he should have kept it quiet

i do think the price of them will come down next year though now that just about everyone is making them.

IMHO, milspec is sort of overrated. Interchangeability is a better term. Barrels, uppers, lowers, trigger groups, bolt groups. Most are interchangeable. Reliable functionality is the biggest concern. I have to Bushmaster Patrolman's. Fit, finish, an reliablility are the only concerns a user should be concerned with. Fit (so it stays together)m finish (so it doesnt rust) and reliability ( it goes bang every time). Isn't that what you want in a $1000 rifle. Everything else is accuracy driven and cost more money.

Seems like I've had best luck with Bushmaster right out of the box. Bad luck with Olympic right out of the box. I've put my own half and half ARs together for as little as $650 using mil spec parts.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top