JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was at cabelas today and some dude was trying to buy a pistol, but he was from WA. The cabelas employee told the guy he can try but most likely not going to happen. Then he asks what about buying a rifle or shotgun? Cabelas employee "No problem". Me:????

from what i understand, he can buy it but has to be transfered to an FFL in his home state then transfered to him after a 4473 comes back approved. i believe this is for ALL non NFA guns. IIRC!!! i could be incorrect on this!! not a lawyer!!

Yep... 21yo and in-state for handguns, or transfer to your state.
18yo and OK out the door (after check) for longguns

As far as Customer Service goes, the guy behind the counter should have instantly offered to transfer the firearm to a WA Cabelas to complete the sale. But, hey, there's no such thing as customer service anymore...

Long guns in home state and state next to yours.

Pistols only in your state.

Dyjital is spot on. I'll simply add that it's the ATF that governs firearm sales across state lines. So, as a resident of Oregon, I can drive to Vancouver and buy a rifle or shotgun legally (which I've done), but a pistol must be purchased in my home state.

If you saw any of the follow-up discussion regarding the Katie Couric anti-gun documentary last week, it was noted in a follow up that they had sent a show producer, who is a resident of Colorado, to Arizona to purchase a rifle and some pistols from private sellers to show how 'easy it is' to buy a gun. Huge problem is that the guy is not a resident of AZ, and CO doesn't border AZ, so every gun he bought is a felony. Some of us are watching and hoping the ATF pursues them on this.

It used to be that the state had to be bordering/contiguous to your state, but that changed.

You can now buy a long gun, from an FFL, in any state as long as the purchase is legal in your home state and the state you are purchasing the long gun in.

May an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA in any State? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (https://www.atf.gov/questions-and-answers/qa/may-unlicensed-person-acquire-firearm-under-gca-any-state)

It used to be that the state had to be bordering/contiguous to your state, but that changed.

You can now buy a long gun, from an FFL, in any state as long as the purchase is legal in your home state and the state you are purchasing the long gun in.

May an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA in any State? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (https://www.atf.gov/questions-and-answers/qa/may-unlicensed-person-acquire-firearm-under-gca-any-state)

Good to know that was updated. That still leaves the Katie Couric documentary producer in hot water as he purchased his rifle in a private sale.

I have yet to hear of any of the media "stings" getting into trouble for breaking the law, despite the video evidence being broadcast for millions to see.

If you or I did that and thumbed our noses at the law and the ATF, we would be not be hearing a knock on our door with a warrant, we would be waking up at 2 AM to a black masked stranger daring us to make a move. :rolleyes:

As far as Customer Service goes, the guy behind the counter should have instantly offered to transfer the firearm to a WA Cabelas to complete the sale. But, hey, there's no such thing as customer service anymore...

The closest Cabelas in WA for us is in Lacy which isn't the border but it is a couple hours drive from the WA/OR border.

Then you have to pay for the transfer (maybe not shipping with the big chain stores) plus tax.

It would have to be a steal of a bargain to make that sale. The employee probably figured he might be better off making the sale on a long gun (we don't have to pay taxes on those I'm pretty sure).

I 100% agree he should have listed the options though.

You can buy a pistol...that is legal in your state...in ANY other state you want. Same with a long gun
The pistol has to to be transferred to your state and ffl of your choice.
I am not certain,as nobody has shown verbage nor have I found it,that says you can buy a long gun and take it home *from a bordering state* ONLY.
But to say you can only buy a handgun in your home state is in error.

You can buy a pistol...that is legal in your state...in ANY other state you want. Same with a long gun
The pistol has to to be transferred to your state and ffl of your choice.
I am not certain,as nobody has shown verbage nor have I found it,that says you can buy a long gun and take it home *from a bordering state* ONLY.
But to say you can only buy a handgun in your home state is in error.

I think the distinction to make is whether or not you can take possession of a pistol in another state, which you can't do. But yes, you can buy in another state, you do have to have it transferred to an FFL in your home state. That's basically how internet gun sellers work. But you definitely cannot buy and take transfer/possession of a handgun in another state.

When I move to TN next month I plan on doing some selling/trading with some of my OR purchased weapons.
I figure I'll wait till I have my TN DL in hand first, just in case I or the buyer might be breaking any rules Kate Brown and her ilk signed off on as well as ATF laws.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top