JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought 6 receivers and had them shipped to my FFL. I spoke with him this evening and he mentioned he thinks he has to report the purchase to the ATF. He did say he was unsure and was going to go back over the verbiage..........any ideas or experience with this?????

My experience years back was my buddy ordered a bunch of stuff like a few receivers and a rifle or 2 and pistol or 2 (cant remember exactly) during the holiday times with his bonus and was told he should just wait as he can get all the stuff in and after the holidays grab it all and not pay the FFL fee coming in every couple days, weeks, etc. So he was like cool, having hated always paying that damn fee. My buddy tells me so Im like cool Im gonna do that too as I had been eyeballing a pistol online and the guy had it with a 10/22 and I had passed thinking by the time I pay for both with fees it wont be such a good deal but this way he pays the fee i thought and I drive so it works for both us. So we can just go grab them together and save a lot of time and gas (our FFL is pretty far away) So my buddy and I go in and they knew us well, we did our carry tests there, we went there all the time to look talk and buy stuff. So we were looking around while they are getting it all together and owner gets a strange call, that is after calling them all in and doing backgrounds. I say strange as the way shes talking and acting on the phone just gave both my buddy and I this feeling as we look at each other like huh...? Mind you the owners are already quite the odd ducks as is. Anyways they get it all together we chat for a bit like usual then head out. Let's just say I could really tell this story better and make more of a point with the details that I'm leaving out but if your guy said he may have to call it in you are best to go get them like 2 at a time over next couple weeks if not longer. After we left all Im gonna say is life became very interesting let's just leave it at that. Nothing bad happen to him or trouble but just enough to let me know that FTF deals are best and FFLs are best only used once in awhile for something you just can't find local. And when I say interesting boy do I mean it in every way shape and form! I'm pretty sure "someone" spent a ton of money just because my buddy had like 6-7 items he picked up at once. Cuz stuff that interesting as I speak of seeing, happening, hearing about from him, etc can't be cheap....!!! Years later find out the FFL was butt hurt since he never would buy from them just use them for transfers so made the call, after saying to wait for them all to come... :huh:

Read here

<broken link removed>

Q2
A2

Receivers are not part of the reporting requirement

Only handguns require report of multiple sales, not receivers.

This is true for WA and OR. I dont know what other states require. I know there was some stuff in the Mexico border states, but that doesn't apply up here.

There has been several ATF newsletters to dealers on this, so it is easy to see how the dealer could be confused.

A NICS check Proceed/Deny/Delay determination does not take into account how many firearms are being transferred, merely whether the person is allowed to take posession.

<broken link removed>

In October 1998, the Attorney General published regulations on the privacy and security of NICS information, including the proper and official use of this information. These regulations are available on the NICS website. Data stored in the NICS is documented federal data and access to that information is restricted to agencies authorized by the FBI. Extensive measures are taken to ensure the security and integrity of the system information and agency use. The NICS is not to be used to establish a federal firearm registry; information about an inquiry resulting in an allowed transfer is destroyed in accordance with NICS regulations. Current destruction of NICS records became effective when a final rule was published by the Department of Justice in The Federal Register, outlining the following changes. Per Title 28, Code of Federal Regulations, Part 25.9(b)(1), (2), and (3), the NICS Section must destroy all identifying information on allowed transactions prior to the start of the next NICS operational day.

WA State Licensing: Firearms Purchase/Delivery Requirements

<broken link removed>

In August 2011, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) initiated the Multiple Sales Reporting (MSR) requirement for certain rifles. MSR requires federal firearms licensees (FFL), specifically dealers and pawnbrokers, in Arizona, California, New Mexico and Texas to submit reports of multiple sales or other dispositions to an unlicensed individual of two or more rifles within five consecutive business days having the following characteristics: (1) semiautomatic; (2) a caliber greater than .22 (including .223/5.56 mm); and (3) the ability to accept detachable magazines. The National Tracing Center advised FFLs in the four border states that the program was being implemented to assist in investigating and combating the illegal movement of firearms along and across the Southwest border.

The Gun Control Act (GCA) of 1968 requires federal firearms licensees (FFLs) to report multiple sales of handguns to the same purchaser [18 U.S.C. § 923(g)(3)]. The sale of two or more handguns must be reported if they occur at the same time, or within five business days of each other. The report must be filed with ATF no later than the close of business on the day the multiple sales or other disposition took place and includes information that identifies the purchaser and the firearms purchased. By law, a copy of this handgun multiple sale report must be provided to designated state or local law enforcement agencies. These reports provide ATF with potential intelligence and almost real-time investigative leads that can indicate illegal firearms trafficking. ATF began requiring the FFLs to report the multiple transactions in 1975. The federal statute that codified the multiple sales of handguns reporting requirement went into effect in 1986.

No similar law exists for other firearms, specifically long-guns, regardless of the caliber, gauge, or suitability for sporting purposes. As a result, individuals can purchase dozens of rifles at one time without ATF being informed of the sale. At the time the multiple sale reporting requirement was debated in Congress, handguns, not rifles, were considered far more likely to be diverted for illicit purposes within the United States.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top