Bullet trap rash

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by joken, Aug 8, 2017.

Tags:
  1. joken

joken
    Corvallis
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

Shooting at our Lodge range this morning and had a bullet fragment hit me in the lower leg and another piece of the same bullet got my buddy. I was shooting my Sig 10mm from the bench at 20 yards and couldn't get it on paper so I went to about 12 yards and fired. There is only a small cut on my calf and I don't think anything is in there, although there is a bump that I'm calling a bruise for now. My friend was sitting at the bench 20 yards back and got cut in the side. Looking at the trap after the fact there is a steel pan in the bottom, but there wasn't any sand or anything in it. Can't remember what the bullet is other than a cheap JHP. Lesson learned and I'm happy it didn't hit one of us in the nuts or eyeball.

Dyjital and Howard1955 like this.
  2. osprey

osprey
    Wetstern WA
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Might be worth a doctors visit and a xray. When I was 8 or so I had access to a bb gun when playing over at my grandparents. I thought it would be a pretty neat trick to see if I could hit a .22 rimfire cartridge i found lying on my grampa's workbench. So I tossed it out in the back 40 and proceeded to shoot. Damned if I didn't hit it on the 3rd or fourth shot with that cheap daisy bb gun. It ignited the shell and was louder than I expected. I sheepishly walked back to the house and was met by my grampa demanding wth was I doing. I told him and he grabbed me to give me a well deserved whoopin, but he stopped when he saw blood trickling down my arm. After a little examination they decided it was just a grazing wound from the brass shrapnel. A month or so later after it had healed, I could feel something in my bicep. An xray revealed a pretty substantial chunk of that .22 case had indeed entered my arm. A minor surgery later it was retrieved and I had a great memento of my stupidity to go along with my sore backside compliments of my old man.

Joe13 likes this.
  3. Rick4070

Rick4070
    Central Oregon coast

The very reason one should wear shooting glasses...
    I used to shoot at the old indoor pistol range by Ft. Lewis Wa., and it was not unusual to get hit by a fragment now and then when shooting .22 rimfire at 50 ft.
    There were pock marks in the steel backstop plates, and a .22 bullet would hit one of those and send fragments back.
    Saw quite a few folks with a trickle of blood on their faces.
    Also had a tendency to make you flinch.