JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was considering building up a pistol AR. I called the FFL locally & he said

The only stripped lowers we have are rifle lowers
then he said
it would have to leave the factory as a pistol registered lower for you to use it for a pistol build

so now im thinking WHAT??????

I thought they just marked the stripped lower rifle or pistol or other, then I can use it for a pistol build

so now I cant find anyone in gresham that carries pistol lowers

any help or advice?

I'm picking up a Pistol lower today from a FFL and it had to be registered as a 'other' and was sent from the manufacture that way. The FFL was unsure as well and called both the manufacture and the ATF. The paperwork was just like a pistol.

Buy online, most companies offer a 'pistol' lower.

Getting a pistol lower is the same as ordering and buying a handgun... like SCannon says, order it online and have it shipped to your FFL. Follow your FFLs requirements for doing that, like letting them know in advance. :s0155:

Cheers,
C

There is no such thing as a pistol or rifle lower that has yet to be built. When you buy a stripped VIRGIN lower it is not a pistol or a rifle as it does not meet the definition of either.

Markings are not required either to be a pistol. When was the last time you saw a 1911 or Glock with "Pistol" stamped on it?

IF you dont believe me here is the actual form you have to fill out, http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-4473-1.pdf

Page 5, Question 18......

This has been the current form for over 2 years now, so not something new.

ATF has long held (over 10 years now) that ANY virgin receiver can be used to build a pistol.

Unless you want a lower marked "Pistol" complete the paperwork on a stripped lower as a "reciever". If you want a complete pistol lower it will have to be ordered and registered as a handgun.

Don't take my advice or anyone elses call BATF do not take any chances.

Unless you want a lower marked "Pistol" complete the paperwork on a stripped lower as a "reciever". If you want a complete pistol lower it will have to be ordered and registered as a handgun.

Still is an "other" until built into a pistol or a rifle...... Something that does not meet the definition of pistol or rifle can not be either......... This came about because you have to be over 21 to own an "other". So people were putting stocks on AR lowers to make them "long guns" and according to the ATF a long gun has to have a 16" + barrel and a stocked receiver does not meet that definition.

I can stamp/paint "Pistol" on any gun I want, but that still does not legally make it a pistol. Also it is legal to switch between pistol and rifle now assuming you started with a pistol.

Don't take my advice or anyone elses call BATF do not take any chances.

While that sounds like good advice it really is not. First depending on who you get on the phone they probably dont know the answer. Second even if they tell you one thing and you do it and they are wrong, you are still liable for it. The only reasonably sure way if you dont want to go with all the letters and forms already put out by the ATF you need to write them. When you get a letter back that says what you are trying to do is legal you should be good to go. Of course even the ATF has "changed their mind" and reversed those too.......

No problems

Mark's Armory upper - $300 I got on NWF used with the BCG - New they are about $450
New Frontier Complete Pistol Lower - $150
FFL transfer was $30
553 Optic - $100

So I'm in it for about $480 without the optic

Thanks! Wow, I have more than that sitting on my desk right now! I've been debating on what to do next, and this really reassures me on the idea of another AR build. Mark's Armory seems to be out of stock on their uppers, but you gave me a good starting point. Only $100 for the optic, huh? I already have a red-dot ready to mount, but it's good to know.

Yeah, I'm still a little cautious about the optic its a clone of the EOTech 553, but I will go put a 100 rounds through it on Saturday, if it holds a zero then I will be a little optimistic.

I know of a guy at a Pawn shop that bought a bunch of Stripped Mega Lowers some pistol some rifle. He was selling them for like 139.00 plus 10 dollar background. Pistol Lowers were marked as Pistol.

Money Market 13607 Southeast Powell Boulevard Portland, OR 97236 (503) 760-6052.

I would get a virgin lower (a lower that was never assembled/built) and just for kicks and giggles I would get PISTOL engraved on it somewhere and build my pistol (I am not clear on having it registered as a pistol)..... if anyone sees a problem with what I said please feel free to correct me.

I would get a virgin lower (a lower that was never assembled/built) and just for kicks and giggles I would get PISTOL engraved on it somewhere and build my pistol (I am not clear on having it registered as a pistol)..... if anyone sees a problem with what I said please feel free to correct me.
No problem other than a waste of time and money.
Why is this confusing people?? A STRIPPED LOWER HAS NEVER BEEN BUILT AND IS THEREFORE NOTHING BUT A RECEIVER...AKA; OTHER. You can engrave super duper laser ray gun with unobtanium Costa beard powers. Doesn't change anything it's still a lower.

As stated before when was the last time you saw "pistol" stamped on ANY production handgun? Including ones based off rifles? So why is this handgun any different?

I wrote pistol in my mash potatoes once, still didn't make them a pistol...........

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top