JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Trying to figure out what direction to go in a target rifle build. Looking for ideas. This rifle will be used for bench shooting, and possibly deer and zombie sized targets. Most shots will be between 100m and 600m but I would like my set up to be able to reach out the a 1000m

Currently I'm either looking a bolt action (rem 700, savage, or FN) or considering an AR10 platform.

So describe to me your long range build, in detail (optic, mounts, barrel, stock, action, bipod)

feel free to post pics of your long range set up, and tell me about it.

Parameters:
Ideally under $2k with optic (I have a lead on a Leupold Mk4 for $700) so gun must remain under $1300

Must be a common large caliber (.308, 30-06, 7mm, ect...)

Barrel that can be threaded (no ported or funny shaped barrels)

Hi stitchclimber,

Based on the order of your intended uses my most confident recommendation would be a Savage 12FCV in .308 Win.
It would be a lot easier for me to just buy you a shooter than build you one.

Several factors make this seem like it would fit your needs.
From the bench you could take advantage of the 26" barrel in 1-12, all the better for getting up that bullet speed for those long shots out to 600 meters and beyond. It should be easy to get 2900 fps with a 155gr bullet. Stable at 1000m. This will shoot a 175 MK and 178 A-Max very well too.

Still not to heavy to pack in the woods. If you, at some time in the future, decide you want to change caliber you could do it your self at home. There are no action truing issues.

Accutrigger, If you haven't tried it you need to.
Accustock, there is no bedding to be done.

I'm wondering what your thoughts are on magazine type. I chose the 12FCV for you in part because a detachable mag. The only reason I would have a detachable mag. is so I could road hunt, much easier to load and unload getting in and out of the rig.
If I was getting this for me I'd get the 12BVSS. I like the looks better but it has an internal mag.

The biggest down side to this is that it doesn't say "Remington" on it.

For glass I'd get you a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15X 56mm with a NP-R2 reticle. 56mm over 50mm because I don't see as well as I used to. If you run out of ammo, you can take the scope off and beat the deer to death with it. I may get you the NF NBR 8-32X 56mm with a NP-1RR reticle instead. They are a pretty good value and have a good reputation at the bench and are cheaper than the NXS line. You'll need rings and want a 20 MOA. base with that to. My only experience with that kind of stuff is with EGW. So, I'll go with what I know for you here.

The couple of other things I'd have to get you are a Harris S-BRM bipod with PodLoc and a cheap-o soft case.

Savage Mod. 12FCV - $700 (about)
NF NXS 3.5-15X 56mm - $1500 (I'd 'a got ya the 5.5x22 but I can't afford it) (NBR 8-32X 56mm - $1200)
Rings - $125
Base - $70
Bipod - $89
PodLoc - $20 (about)
Case - $25

Total - $2529

I know I'm over budget, but not by much considering what your getting. This would get you shooting the x right out of the box.

You'll have to buy your own ammo. I'm not made of money.;)

Come on Lotto!

B

Hi stitchclimber,

Based on the order of your intended uses my most confident recommendation would be a Savage 12FCV in .308 Win.
It would be a lot easier for me to just buy you a shooter than build you one.

Several factors make this seem like it would fit your needs.
From the bench you could take advantage of the 26" barrel in 1-12, all the better for getting up that bullet speed for those long shots out to 600 meters and beyond. It should be easy to get 2900 fps with a 155gr bullet. Stable at 1000m. This will shoot a 175 MK and 178 A-Max very well too.

Still not to heavy to pack in the woods. If you, at some time in the future, decide you want to change caliber you could do it your self at home. There are no action truing issues.

Accutrigger, If you haven't tried it you need to.
Accustock, there is no bedding to be done.

I'm wondering what your thoughts are on magazine type. I chose the 12FCV for you in part because a detachable mag. The only reason I would have a detachable mag. is so I could road hunt, much easier to load and unload getting in and out of the rig.
If I was getting this for me I'd get the 12BVSS. I like the looks better but it has an internal mag.

The biggest down side to this is that it doesn't say "Remington" on it.

For glass I'd get you a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15X 56mm with a NP-R2 reticle. 56mm over 50mm because I don't see as well as I used to. If you run out of ammo, you can take the scope off and beat the deer to death with it. I may get you the NF NBR 8-32X 56mm with a NP-1RR reticle instead. They are a pretty good value and have a good reputation at the bench and are cheaper than the NXS line. You'll need rings and want a 20 MOA. base with that to. My only experience with that kind of stuff is with EGW. So, I'll go with what I know for you here.

The couple of other things I'd have to get you are a Harris S-BRM bipod with PodLoc and a cheap-o soft case.

Savage Mod. 12FCV - $700 (about)
NF NXS 3.5-15X 56mm - $1500 (I'd 'a got ya the 5.5x22 but I can't afford it) (NBR 8-32X 56mm - $1200)
Rings - $125
Base - $70
Bipod - $89
PodLoc - $20 (about)
Case - $25

Total - $2529

I know I'm over budget, but not by much considering what your getting. This would get you shooting the x right out of the box.

You'll have to buy your own ammo. I'm not made of money.;)

Come on Lotto!

B

great breakdown. thats the sort of thing I'm looking for. What are other people's suggestions?

Of course,
the "pseudo tactiCOOL set up" is available.
A little something in a MK14 EBR, 7.62x51, NF 2.5x10, Aimpoint CompM4 w/3x flip mount.
It always puts a smile on my face.
(I couldn't resist)

B:D

TheHot-SwapSet-upSM.jpg

I would suggest that you Google the Savage Model 12 FTR for long distance. Read as much you can about the Savage FTR team right here in Portland. You can go out and watch them shoot at Douglas Ridge. They are friendly and will answer any questions. The rifle is about $1100. I just got mine last week and mounted a Leupold 45x and a by-pod marketed by the team. In .308, the rifle is made for long range and qualifies for several classes beyond F-Class. If you want to see it and take a couple of shots let me know. It would be heavy to carry in the woods. I am very happy with it!

I would suggest that you Google the Savage Model 12 FTR for long distance......In .308, the rifle is made for long range and qualifies for several classes beyond F-Class..... It would be heavy to carry in the woods. I am very happy with it!

I have an F/TR as well. It is truly a precision shooter right out of the box. While less versatile, its the easiest shooting rifle I've ever fired. I'm not much of a hunter any more so this is perfect for me.

I took it to a friends place in Idaho early this spring. We were shooting a steel squirrel at 480 yds.

TR.jpg
12squirrel480yds.jpg

Another buddy and I went to the range this last Monday mainly to shoot at the 200 yd. line.

Shooting at 100 yards get old real quick. 5shotgroupSM.jpg
At 200 yds./Sinclair Bipod/Rear Bag Bestgroupofthedayat200yds.jpg

If your into primarily shooting targets, check into the F/TR. It makes shooting really far really easy.

B

I like to visit pawn shops often, and I found a Renington 700 in 6MM Remington. She had a wood stock that had lots of handling marks on it, but the steel was suprisingly clean, an early 1970 or slightly earlier model. No rust or bare spots. It has a .473 bolt face which means that it will convert to 308, 243, 6.5-08, 7-08.... I haggled for the price of 275.00 out the door! Now the action alone is worth 400.00.
When I got home, I ran a few patches down the tube, and it was clean! Felt smooth as well. I had a gunsmith buddy freshen up the crown, and re-tap the scope mounting hole to 8x40's. I put on a set of Weaver 2 piece bases, I had the GS adjusted the trigger to a nice 3lb pull. The gunsmith tab was 70.00. I next found an HS Precision stock from a Rem 700 PSS, and bought it for 200.00 and had my GS pillar bed it and use HK hex bolts. I have under 600.00 in this rifle, and it shoots great. I have mounted a used Leupold MK 3 3.5-10x40mm that I bought for 650.00. This is how I put togeather a nice 600 yard gun for under 1300.00.
Someone could do this 100,000 ways, but get out there and find a deal! JPG

Take a look at the Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308. I paid $550 for mine brand new (though they had to order it). The 20" barrel is handy and keeps the weight down even with the heavy barrel profile. The X-Mark trigger is incredible. The accuracy with 168gr Sierra MatchKings over 44.0gr of Varget will make your friends cry. I added a Nikon, a bipod, and a Mag-xtender floorplate.

John

Les Baer Tactical Bolt Action Rifle $3500.00
Les Baer Custom Inc.

This is what im working on building. My base is Remington 700 VLS, 26" med-heavy.

Have
Remington 700 $500.00
Bell & Carlson Tactical Medalist A5 Fully Adjustable $300.00
Wyatt's Outdoor Detachable Magazine Assembly $250.00

need
Picatinny 1-piece Warne 20 MOA base $95.00
Timney Match trigger with sweet 1½-4 lb. pull $124.95
Nightforce 5.5-22x56 NXS MIL-DOT Scope $1632.00

I would say go with that FTR. but when it comes down to shooting long distance i would say it depends more on your skill as a shooter and the skill you put into your hand loads. I my self am starting off with "expecting to get flamed on this one" A 1943 M91/30 mosin nagant. I picked up the rifle for $75 dollars and have seen examples of these types of rifles shooting sub-moa groups at 100yards.

If you can find one, I would suggest picking up a winchester model 70 LRH (aka LAREDO)this gun was offered in 7mm mag and 300 win mag. It consisted of

winchester controlled feed action, Also known as the "classic" action, or "pre '64" probably the best commercial bolt action ever built.

Douglas air gauged premium barrel(heavy profile 26")

H&S Precision stock

I bought mine new for 500 something back in '99, when they can be found they are still going for less than 900. TEN SHOT groups at 200 yards 1.5" (five shot groups are BS, why not a one shot group then?)

To those who "bed" an H&S stock- Are you smoking crack?

the winchester trigger is the nicest and easiest trigger to adjust of all

many overlook the fact that the action is held in the stock by 3 screws

IMHO magnums are the only rounds suitable for TRUE long range work

Sure you can settle for a cheapo action and plow a bunch of time and experimentation into it, but, why waste your time?

My build I am doing :Savage 7mm mag with scope at a pawn shop-$250
Mcgowen 28" heavy barrel with a brake chambered in .300win mag-$400
Choate Ultimate Sniper stock-$190 shipped from combatstocks.com
Trigger-$95
one piece 20-MOA picatinny base-$75
Millet LRS1 6-20X56 illuminated mil-dot scope w/ 120 MOA adjustment-$450

Total= $1470 not including small bits like angle indicator, rifle cant indicator or a bi-pod if desired.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top