Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Browns camp open

Discussion in 'Outdoor Shooting Areas' started by FA9, Mar 4, 2016.

1. FA9

FA9 Hillsburrito, ORgun Well-Known Member

7 days dusk til dawn CHEEEEHU

2. Larrytpdx

Larrytpdx Portland, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Good news!

3. B5Ben

B5Ben Boise Well-Known Member

That figures...been closed for nearly a year and as soon as I move away it re-opens. Last time I was there, it looked like they had dug out the back a little. My rangefinder previously put the back wall about 240 yards depending on location. Hopefully it's a bit longer for you guys.

4. Norm0931

Norm0931 Hillsboro, OR Sgt. Sheep Silver Vendor 2016 Volunteer

FYI the Pit will be closing for the vast remainder of the year within 2 to 3 months. They will also be changing the roads out there fairly dramatically in the next few months.

5. Mikej

Mikej Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

No doubt! If you're going to cut every last stick of timber you're going to need good roads to do it!

DuneHopper likes this.
  6. Mikej

Do you have an article/link to this info? I spend time out there mushroom hunting and it P'ed me off when they went into my super secret spot and RE-thinned and left every bit of slash on the ground making it almost impossible to hunt. That, and it won't be worth crap for chanterelles after next year most likely.

DuneHopper likes this.
  7. Norm0931

It's not for timber in the case of the pit. They have run out of surface rock. There is a ton of rock deeper in the pit though and under the current road just pass the "T" intersection. So they are going to have to re-route the road and the pit will get deeper and not sustainable for shooting.

8. Mikej

Logging has been going hot and heavy in the Tillamook for the last three years. They have to seriously upgrade existing roads to do that and the rock they use come from that pit. That's why I figure quarry work= timber cutting.

Norm0931 likes this.
  9. Norm0931

Yeah gotcha. We are trying to work with ODF Forest Grove that manages Tillamook to possibly add a section of land to the timber sale this year that will eventually become a dedicated shooting area. Hopefully in 5 years we'll have a large safe shooting area with multiple lanes and distances so people can use the forest in a safe and responsible manner for recreational shooting.