JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not interested in the great caliber debate, but are there obvious advantages to these more odd ball cartridges or is just a matter of preference? I am shooting the 7mm rem mag and that seems to be a really nice middle of the road (in the magnum category) round.

Of course there is if you ask Nosler.

Honestly from what I have seen the 28 nosler is a flatter shooting cartridge than the .300 WM and there are videos of 28 nosler taking elks at 900 yards, but the way I look at it is this:

1) I'll never hit an elk at that range
2)I would spend more in ammo setting the rifle up than I paid for the rifle by the time I was confident enough in it.
3)Not near enough difference to justify the cost to me. I would like one to play around with though.

Guns in general serve a few perposes to me..

A. something awesome I can not resist (these I usually buy tinker with and than sell at a loss hahah) example was a sig 220
B. Serve a hunting purpose (my x-bolt and my dream of a Henry all weather in 30-30)
C. Would be good for vampire robot zombie aliens (my ar, a flame thrower, and a benelli M4
D. have something to teach me (28 nosler would be good to learn long rang and reload)
F. and lastly and most important because this is America (all guns of all types)

I would love a Nosler cartridge just because I like seeing what silly numbers I can get from a chronograph. If I got to choose one I'd probably go with a 30 for personal reasons, but any of them would be great.
One of the best reasons to factor in the cost of buying loaded ammo to acquire brass is learning some of what the factory does to make their stuff soo darn good.
In reality, we overthink the rifle/cartridge thing most of the time. the only possibility I had at a buck this year might have been saved if I was hunting with a rifle from my childhood, a lever 30-30 with open sights that I would have thumbed the hammer back when raising it to aim.
But no, I'm not that smart...

That Hells Canyon rifle, though, sure does look nice.

IMG_6309.JPG Well my X-Bolt Western Hunter 28 Nosler sure likes the Nosler factory 160gr Accubond loads, under 1/2" inch @ 100 yards. The original hit hurts a bit purchasing brass or loaded ammo. Once I have the fired cases, I can load them myself with premium bullets for around .86 a piece. I can load 100 rounds for the cost of one box of the factory offerings.

I only shoot 3 round groups with super magnum chamberings and light contour barrels. After three rounds I can see the mirage in my scope from the heat coming off the barrel in 50 degree weather.

been some time since I posted and thought I would share an update. I have over 250 rounds through the gun at this point and would just like to give folks an update.
1) The Bradley check rest is is huge improvement and made a difference in my consistency.
2) The Federal 175 grain soft point and trophy copper in 150 grain have the same point of impact at 100 yards, which is great to have an affordable easy to find practice ammo.
3) I re-zeroed the rifle the other day to 1.4 high at 100 to give me less to think about under 350 yards. What helped me was after a scope adjustment to fire a single round with the cheap stuff to get the reticle to settle, then run my three shot group.
4) There has been no difference in POI between running three shot groups at an average pace Vs. a snails pace.
5) I average a 1.25 inch group at 100 yards in "hunting" conditions (shooting off my bag, on the ground, bad weather...). When I milk it and use all the goodies under and inch is not an issue.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top