JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Browning Buckmark that I bought new about 3-4 years ago. I'm not particularly detail oriented in its cleaning, as I do not hunt or defend my family with it. I run a boresnake through it, and clean the chamber & feed ramp. I took it out for the first time this year, and experienced a weird repeated failure to fire. With four different magazines, loaded to 10 rounds, the first 3-5 round would not fire. They would be struck, but not ignite. This was consistent with all magazines, with several CCI, Winchester, and Federal. I've never had a malfunction with it before. I discovered that when I loaded 6 or less rounds, it would fire all w/o issue, with all ammo. I have never left the mags for this loaded for more than one day, and even if it was weakened mag springs, that typically causes failure to feeds. So, the failure to fire, light strike, or almost high strike from inspection, is being cause somehow by the increased magazine pressure on the underside of the bolt. I don't even know how that's possible, but it seems to be the case. Any one ever experience this sort of failure? Any ideas?

Thanks

If you never clean the firing pin channel and the firing pin itself this is bound to happen with just about any firearm.
If you let it go on for too long without cleaning the firing pin may even become stuck in the extended position causing a slam fire next time you rack the action with a loaded magazine. If the gun is too tough to clean out the firing pin and firing pin channel then I would recommend switching to a gun that you can. A slam fire could result in an injury if the owner or firer are not aware of the condition or if it happens and a squib load is among the ammo.(under-loaded,accidentally by the factory or by user in the case of reloaded ammunition)

This is an issue that can and will happen to any firearm provided the firing pin channel goes long enough without a proper cleaning.
With a rimfire I would say it is even more important to clean that area as the quality of .22 ammo varies greatly and if one of those rounds is a squib in the middle of a slam fire you might have just turned a $400 gun into a $400 paperweight. Clean your guns thoroughly and you won't have any troubles.(including the magazines)

Last Edited:
I bought an almost new Marlin bolt action .22 rifle that had intermittent failure to fire. I felt it was due to light firing pin strikes.

I took the bolt apart (part way) and soaked it in alcohol and other solvents and flushed some grease out of it. It wasn't dirty, it just seemed that the grease inside the bolt was too heavy.

After that it fired all cartridges just fine.

Rimfire firearms are prone to problems because of how dirty they get - mostly from the ammo - some of which is dirtier than other ammo, but all of it is pretty dirty compared to centerfire.

The first thing to do with any rimfire firearm that is malfunctioning is to clean it thoroughly - especially anything that is near the chamber.

I recently bought a 1992 model year Buckmark from my father in law. It looked a bit dirty when I checked it out but I was headed to the range anyway so brought it along. Ran about 40 rounds through it and started getting light strikes. By the 7th mag it wouldn't fire at all. I took it apart and found that the buffer had completely disintegrated and was gumming up the firing pin channel. Once I cleaned it and replaced the buffer (aftermarket because they aren't available anymore) it runs well.

As I'm sure you are aware, .22 ammo is filthy. I now regret not cleaning it first and in the future will clean any guns I buy from him before hitting the range. This is about the third .22 I have come across with similar issues due to not being properly cleaned. I would start there and see what you find.

I thought my Ruger mark 1 that was bought to teach me how to shoot at 4 was going to need a trip to the gunsmith it was having so many issues.

Same thing, I had only been cleaning the barrel and chamber.

You tube was around and I saw a video on a complete disassembly and cleaning so I did that.

There were parts of the gun just crusted in oil and powder residue.

After hours with a pick and cleaning materials I oiled it good and took it out to shoot.

I've never had a single hiccup since then minus the occasional rimfire failure to go bang with cheap ammo. (Remington cough cough).

That buffer is the only complaint I have with mine. The factory ones for late models will work in your older gun. I keep several on hand. $1.25 each If I remember.

That's good to know, I ended up buying a couple myself just to keep extra on hand. My only complaint compared to the Rugers is that I get powder burns on top of my hands because of the open sides as the slide cycles. Other than that it is a very accurate gun with an awesome trigger.