JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was out shooting yesterday and was just about finished with a full mag when my rifle started to not strip off the next round. I chambered a second, and again, failed to feed. I dropped the mag and switched just to rule that out and the first shot from that one stovepiped.

OK, drop the mag, clear and call this gun done for the day.

Here's what I found this morning on tear down

wu-MN2KxQuoPI7kWRhE4XShDHXYRRkRdRFgqjmj-pO63e8I6LmVopA8Q6_QTuf9Hpmz-0r373JGxJMgrTfQH_f-Bhr7OqQSo.jpg
It's not much, but that'd be enough to cause problems I guess. Less than 1000 rounds through it.
Perhaps it'll be a good enough reason to get a JP Captured Spring :D

Good catch. I'm sure it probably wasn't the lesser spring tension that caused it. Any marks on the buffer or inside the tube to indicate that the little piece was hanging it up?

What's the caliber, barrel, gas system length...and what ammo?
I'm not writing a book or anything, just curious.
and did it break buffer or shoulder end?

What's the caliber, barrel, gas system length...and what ammo?
I'm not writing a book or anything, just curious.
and did it break buffer or shoulder end?

.222/5.56
BCA 16" Stainless Carbine
Odin adjustable (my first thought was somehow I was now undergassed out of nowhere, wouldn't lock back on empty mag either)
Federal American Eagle MSR .223

Looking at the spring, it broke from the shoulder end, but jammed up at the buffer end. Aero's basic setup.

Does that busted buffer spring have two, (2) compressed coils at each end with the spring ends machined ground to a flat surface? Or does each end show a sharp cut off like resulting from cutting pliers?

Reason I am asking is that it is rare for an USGI buffer spring to break.

Respectfully.

hundreds of builds. uncounted rebuilds.

It's a clean cut, other than the broken end. I consider it a freak of nature and I don't anticipate things being damaged further. I'll run it as it is, but I'll also pick up another...

wait... you might be onto something here. I had assumed that it came from the shoulder end because I saw a flat surface under the buffer... Your question made me pull it back out and take a closer look.

shoulder end
Py1v6T0Uael8mryue805LP2YCICSVfCunxPx3r1h_K2NMswTR8pkXNsEN2xoctR302x2zBARZrvFWkcCa41OTpU62hthJimg.jpg

Buffer end
QEfryCkuTh8AcUHMrYCE5YMwtlk_qLv8ZRb-cWVXRSSFVM6ZNFsH5hMXyDT-p_QAvwGFbVa7Rh3afrbOMVCRmOastlTDbrbk.jpg

And, I have a 5yo, so I know how to do puzzles...
mOEbl01o7HzfieqzMRhCpMFy2O5sP0B9v0TJUyiKe0XsTfPUnm0BGpEwqnEjHiuKWetExTDJZ0UT1U6dxGAbEwUBabNR3CBs.jpg

and, the cleaner edge, left, is where the break occured
5_h9zmRSa6ratLOah6e14FbqVMw3zHHL9x2L2V4pcHn5odyAw9ZQwVF2M_JkP71VDO7LPtWlm9kD8wLCG5kd8Uo9G6k0GIGk.jpg

Any issues with it being too stiff in a carbine tube? It seems perfect in a rifle, but kinda stiff in a carbine tube.
Not at all. In fact I run the spring in the shorter AR pistol tube. You can watch his videos on the Tubbs website for clarification.

It doesn't hurt to put some frog lube in your tube, makes the action smoother and might help with spring issues.

I cut 3 turns off my Tubb spring for my carbines
Tubbs uses flat wire springs, not round springs
David Tubbs on his video states they can be cut to tune your system

rjmt
I just did a web search on cutting David Tubbs flatwires springs to tune an AR. At least 6 other threads on different blogs on cutting these springs to tube your AR platform. I have Tubb springs on Grendel DI rifles, Grendel piston carbine, 5.56 DI rifles and my M27 clone. Don't have any issue with the cut springs in any of my carbines, including the Grendel piston carbine.

rjmt

I just did a web search on cutting David Tubbs flatwires springs to tune an AR. At least 6 other threads on different blogs on cutting these springs to tube your AR platform. I have Tubb springs on Grendel DI rifles, Grendel piston carbine, 5.56 DI rifles and my M27 clone. Don't have any issue with the cut springs in any of my carbines, including the Grendel piston carbine.

rjmt
Cool! Thanks! I did the same actually. I didn't see the video, but I hacked a few coils off, heated up the last coil and flattened it. Then tossed in an h2 buffer and turned my gas down. Went from a bucking bronco to feeling like my 18" rifle build with A2 stock.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top