JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So me, my cousin and his wife went out shooting yesterday for a few hours. On the way up there we passed by a green Jeep at a pull out with no one in sight. So we went further up and found a good empty spot to shoot at. After about an hour the guy in the green Jeep showed up and parked about 150 yards away from us and sat there at least 2 to 3 hours while we went about our business. At the first sign of us start to pack up he immediately drove up to us and asked to pick up our brass. We were planning to pick up it ourselves since i plan on doing some reloading in the future when i get a better place to live. I don't want to say this guy gave us the creeps but my cousin and I didn't want to risk anything. All in all we left a couple thousand pieces of brass there at least.

What do you guys think about people doing this? Especially how they sit there and wait hours on end and jump on it at soon as you start to pack up?

So me, my cousin and his wife went out shooting yesterday for a few hours. On the way up there we passed by a green Jeep at a pull out with no one in sight. So we went further up and found a good empty spot to shoot at. After about an hour the guy in the green Jeep showed up and parked about 150 yards away from us and sat there at least 2 to 3 hours while we went about our business. At the first sign of us start to pack up he immediately drove up to us and asked to pick up our brass. We were planning to pick up it ourselves since i plan on doing some reloading in the future when i get a better place to live. I don't want to say this guy gave us the creeps but my cousin and I didn't want to risk anything. All in all we left a couple thousand pieces of brass there at least.

What do you guys think about people doing this? Especially how they sit there and wait hours on end and jump on it at soon as you start to pack up?

It's a free county and public land. It doesn't bother me at all. If he was just sitting back watching us shoot, it would have taken all of about 15 minutes for me to go see what he was up to. It would have been then that I told him we'd be picking up our brass. I wouldn't have left 1K-2K or brass on the ground, because 1 I am a reloader and 2 I wouldn't want to reward his behavior.

Its creepy.
Any stranger near me out on public land keeps me on high alert.
I think its rude, dangerous and odd.

Id whip out my C*** and piss all over any brass I CHOSE to leave there while he watched.

Its one thing to come back later when no one is there but to park and just wait.. Thats strange.. Ive had it happen.. But I picked my brass up while a buddy stood alert, packed up and drove to an area where we would have had a ground level advantage and he would have blocked the road.. Limited our range distance, but got him away from us.

So it would seem green Jeep guys mistake was not coming up to you and making conversation? I don't know, when I'm at the range I like to make a little conversation with other shooters. I don't shoot outdoors much anymore, but when I was I met some mighty nice people out there.

Maybe the guy thought your group was creepy?

I hope that the times I sat in the car and watched the shooters at Browns Camp for a bit they didn't think I was creepy. I was mushroom hunting but had shooting gear and would have shot some if there weren't people there already.

Mike

I pick up my brass. I could not care less that he waited 3 hours in the hope that I would leave it. I have had these types actually wander out in front of where I was currently shooting with their head down looking for brass in front of me. I never understood why someone would spend $20 of of gas to pick up brass in the mountains when brass is only worth $1.70 a pound as scrap. How often do you find over 12 pounds of brass to offset your gas cost? We have a few brass scroungers that are regulars up on Larch Mt. and they never are up there shooting, just collecting.

So it would seem green Jeep guys mistake was not coming up to you and making conversation? I don't know, when I'm at the range I like to make a little conversation with other shooters. I don't shoot outdoors much anymore, but when I was I met some mighty nice people out there.

Maybe the guy thought your group was creepy?

I hope that the times I sat in the car and watched the shooters at Browns Camp for a bit they didn't think I was creepy. I was mushroom hunting but had shooting gear and would have shot some if there weren't people there already.

Mike

This guy never attempted to make conversation. Like I said, he parked about 150 yards off and watched us for 3 hours. Then immediately on us wanting the brass before we even had a chance to pick it up.

I'm sure he thought we were creepy plinking while he sat in his car for 3 hours watching us.

Should have picked up your brass before you even broke other things down.
There would have been and end to it then.
Or stop and pick some up as you went along with your shooting.
That would have telegraphed to them that you wanted your brass.
No possible disputes, no questions and no one running up to get it because
it looked like you might leave it. and you would not be leaving it all there
even if you didn't reload.
Just a thought :)

A guy up here is supplementing his SS income, but he drives by and shows up later.

Brothers Ron and Don? A couple busted up retired loggers, good bullsitters. I shoot up Little River Road and when one of them shows up I usually stop shooting and help them pick up brass and talk about the old days working the west end.
To the OP I don't see your problem, the guy parked 150yds away and at least asked if you were saving your brass. I never expect to get the whole woods to myself.

Personally I don't care for "spectators" in the woods. If you want to watch other people shoot guns; go poke your head in at the local range. When we go out to the woods we always have someone armed at the shooting area while the person changing out targets is also armed. I have no reason to trust "non participants" lurking around behind us while we're shooting. I'd rather those people wait until I drive away before worrying about what brass I "never" left behind.

Brothers Ron and Don? A couple busted up retired loggers, good bullsitters. I shoot up Little River Road and when one of them shows up I usually stop shooting and help them pick up brass and talk about the old days working the west end.
To the OP I don't see your problem, the guy parked 150yds away and at least asked if you were saving your brass. I never expect to get the whole woods to myself.
Don't know those 2. I shoot at SC. 15 minutes away.This is some guy and his wife.Funny to watch as she walks over the brass and he walks behind her and picks it up,lol.
He doesn't wait as he has 3-4 places to check. ALWAYS asks before he starts.Lots of reloaders up here so it's best he does
As far as being armed,we always have 1 black rifle ready and everyone carries. 1 person always stays by the vehicles when target change time
You can tell what kind of folks they are when 4-7 armed guys stare them down. The good guys stop and say hi and the idiots keep driving

I seem to remember a couple people up at the Larch Mountain a few years back that were target shooting and some J.Azz came in and shot them for their guns of some such bs. I don't like places where there are people that just come in and stand back and watch either. I can usually find a place off the beaten path where there is not anyone else around to do shooting or sight in.. When people do come by I observe them more than they do me :) Also I am generally off the roads far enough that most don't walk in.

Someone watching me shoot, out in the woods for 2-3 hours? That's creepy. That's hardly what I would consider 'normal' behavior. It's also a big reason why I really don't like shooting out in the woods. I've had numerous interactions with folks out in the woods that were uncomfortable at best. It's really no fun to go out and shoot if you're always having to keep one eye open for potential bad guys. I don't have to do that at my range.

As for striking up conversations, well, when I'm out shooting, I usually have limited time, so I don't want to spend it all chatting. I'll be cordial, talk for a bit, and I've met some great folks doing just that. But the folks I'm likely to talk to are doing the same thing I am. They're not sitting out in the middle of nowhere just watching me behind my back.

Considering we talk about situational awareness pretty often here, I would chalk this up to being aware that something just doesn't 'seem right'. How many folks have ignored those feelings and end up robbed or worse? Most folks know the difference between normal behavior and behavior that's outside of the norm. If you just ignore those feelings, you may find yourself in a rough place.

For me, I'll stick with the range. I can't kill water jugs there, but otherwise, it's a great place to shoot and there are plenty of good people there to talk to.

Seems like more than a few people are shot at the "range". Recently a safety trainer was shot while teaching a young girl to shoot a full auto Uzi and another one prior to that was Chris Kyle who was shot at a Texas shooting range. I would rather be out in the woods myself. I always keep a loaded gun handy when shooting or reloading or going down range to check my target. I have more people watching me at the range than when by myself in the woods.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top