JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My cousin and I have a similar rule that we are to have a loaded gun on us at all times when out shooting just incase trouble finds us.

I see Ty got to post up this before I could. It was certainly bizarre - but between the three of us we kept a good watch on the guy, and like Ty said - the rule when shooting in the woods - someone has to have a hot gun on them, period. No shooting everything dry.

I'm not sure the guy wasn't doing some shooting of his own - the place we shot was at the "top" of this little mountain, and there were two other pits we passed up to shoot where we shot. I heard a lot of rimfire rounds cracking off in the pit below us, the jeep was parked about half way between our spot and the other spot.

The old dude brass hounding looked pretty ancient, grizzled. I didn't mind leaving him the brass as much as Ty did. I know Ty wanted the brass, but I was happy to leave my brass for the dude to pick up. He seemed like he needed it a bit more than I/we did.

I'd say shooting up where we were at was a LOT more pleasant and I was more at ease than I am when I shoot at the pit at Browns Camp. Tooooooo many jack wagons up that way.

I'm not sure we left "thousands" of pieces of brass on the ground - I spent maybe 500 rounds of 9mm down range, and less than 200 of 5.56 - and I think we put a whopping total of 24 rounds through my 870. So from my stockpile, there were less than 800 spent casings for old dude. I didn't keep track of how much ammo Ty was blasting from his pile o' gold. My wife did pick up a couple hundred 9mm cases during the course of shooting, but there was still a pretty good amount left for Green Jeep Gramps.

Next time we head up that way, we'll travel further on the forest road before we stop, just to see whats up there. Maybe find a more out of the way place to plink.

Out of that box of 1000 UMC bulk 9mm i only have about 300 left. I sent about 300 rounds through the AR all brass cased and about another 200 of assorted .380 and .45 in total I shot about 1200 myself coupled with your 700ish is about 1900.

I have had the brass collectors try to crawl under me and the truck tailgate while I was reloading mags while shooting with friends up at Memeloose. I gave a little nudge with the knee and told him to buzz off. I couldn't believe the audacity of the scroungers!

Kind of seems like a mtns out of moles thing to me. I reload a bunch calibers and know others that can use what I don't so I pick up all the brass I find. I'll stop at local shooting spots on my way to and from just to see if anyone left brass. Heck when I go to the local range I've had the workers there pick up my brass as fast as I shoot it and say if it hits the ground it's theirs. I didn't fall for that, but you get the idea.
Seems like a simple no I 'll keep my brass as you are policing up your mess (you did clean up your mess,right?) would have solved the problem so why the drama?

Kind of seems like a mtns out of moles thing to me. I reload a bunch calibers and know others that can use what I don't so I pick up all the brass I find. I'll stop at local shooting spots on my way to and from just to see if anyone left brass. Heck when I go to the local range I've had the workers there pick up my brass as fast as I shoot it and say if it hits the ground it's theirs. I didn't fall for that, but you get the idea.
Seems like a simple no I 'll keep my brass as you are policing up your mess (you did clean up your mess,right?) would have solved the problem so why the drama?

I think you're seeing more drama than there was/is.

Me too, except at my range we can shoot a lot more than just paper and we can shoot full auto, which is why I joined in the first place.

Is that Albany? Seems I've heard they allow full auto, not many do. I'm out at Douglas Ridge. It's a great range with great people and lots of options. You can shoot steel, but no water jugs :( Probably my one and only complaint.

Brass in the woods should be picked up regardless of if you reload. As for someone lurking around, not on my watch. A quick conversation to clarify intent would take place within just a couple minutes. Why wait for hours just to be shot in the back. Too weird.

Just say, "No". Maybe you should stop shootign occasionally and police your brass and random debris. Then it would be obvious that you had nothing to offer and they would have left sooner.

That being said, I'd never shoot all my ammo then expect to leave alive. It is not uncommon to get bushwacked by losers while out shooting in the hinderlands. The FBI shoot-out in the mid-1980's was done by criminals who armed themselves by killing target shooters.

don't be a slob. pack up everything when you leave, including your brass.

if you can, leave it cleaner than you found it. pack up some trash the other slovenly shooters always seem to leave behind.

When out shooting most of the time I pick up between mags or clips as it depends on what I am shooting. Otherwise I would probably lose it:rolleyes:

We did have a guy come by the last time out but he asked hey there were kids here yesterday do you mind if I go check it out. We let him drive up to the dead end and check it out before we started shooting. No harm no foul.

I was out shooting a couple days ago and think the same ole guy in the green jeep hit me up. I was in a narrow little nook and parked my truck to prevent anyone else from getting in. He watched for a minute, but came up to me pretty quick once he realized I knew he was there. He asked if I was going to pick up my brass, told him yes, he then asked if I was going to pick up what was here when I got here. I told him I will be picking up what I see and then handed me a business card for Tualatin Valley Munitions and gave me a schpeel about getting deals on ammo from them. He got back in his jeep and took off. Was friendly enough, but I think he presumed I was OK with him being around, I wasn't.

And yes, I always have a live sidearm when out, maybe more :D

I've ridden public trains, boats and buses in a couple dozen countries, modern and third world. Intimate proximity to strangers in those situations (bumping against each other all around and breathing the same air) just comes with the territory.

But out in the open US woods where there's plenty of room to leave total strangers alone, why make people explain it?

1. I'll be gone in awhile.

2. And I'll leave you alone to do whatever you want without me intruding, watching you, rushing you, or pimping you for brass while you're still shooting.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top