JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Bore sight recommendations?

M1 eyeball.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....actually, IMHO.....start out with the target set close in. Some ranges will and some won't allow it. Move the target further out as you see groups and changes made to suit you.

Last Edited:
and was wondering if any one had any good tips on what to get.
Nothing needed.

Remove bolt, secure gun to a bench, table etc. and look through the bore and find your target bullseye, or any item you can clearly see through it at whatever distance you want to 'sight in ' at.

Find the item in you scope and Adjust cross hairs to center on the object. Done deal.

Gadgets are nifty, but what I find the muzzle laser most useful for is training offhand and trigger pull. Don't want to see the dot move.
Nothing needed.

Remove bolt, secure gun to a bench, table etc. and look through the bore and find your target bullseye, or any item you can clearly see through it at whatever distance you want to 'sight in ' at.

Find the item in you scope and Adjust cross hairs to center on the object. Done deal.
Definitely +1. You can do it in your back yard, set your sighting target up at 20 yards, and you'll most likely be on paper at 100, where you zero it.
More than once I've had rings loosen, where I'll retighten them, pull the bolt, visually sight in on the target at 100 and then re-zero.

Too many tales of people going hunting, having had the optic "sighted in" at the gunshop and never firing a round before missing the trophy buck....

I tend to use math to get close on paper, hasn't let me down yet. Machining has improved so much over the years that tolerances are not what they were. Mounting a scope on a rifle should be pretty much be off only by the difference in distance between the optic and bore, unless the gun and or optic is of really poor quality.

Too many tales of people going hunting, having had the optic "sighted in" at the gunshop and never firing a round before missing the trophy buck....
Oh man I too have heard about this more than a few times!

However probably a 1 in a million chance on this. I bought a new Nikon scope a few years ago for an old 'kit built' Mauser ,243 Win, mounted it, did a 100 yard 'bore sight' down my driveway looking at something on my neighbors property, zeroed the crosshairs and took the rifle to the range which happened to be a rare visit to COSSA.

Set a target at 100 yards, rest rifle, load a round and touch off - the round was perfectly centered about an 1" high - right where I wanted it!

Typically however after doing this my POI ain't too far from center and a couple clicks is usually all it takes to zero it to where I want it.

Last Edited:
Oh man I too have heard about this more than a few times!

However probably a 1 in a million chance on this. I bought a new Nikon scope a few years ago for an old 'kit built' Mauser ,243 Win, mounted it, did a 100 yard 'bore sight' down my driveway and looking at something on my neighbors property, zeroed the crosshairs and took the rifle to the range which happened to be a rare visit to COSSA.

Set a target at 100 yards, rest rifle, load a round and touch off - the round was perfectly centered about an 1" high - right where I wanted it!
That's because you have skill.
I've watched some be mounted and "bore sighted" at shops, and just smile.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top