JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Welcome aboard. And indeed, I do:

1712015249519.png

Have a Sig P230 which I love, but I have never had the pleasure of shooting a PPK.
Has anyone shot both? If so please compare the experience.

Shaken...NOT stirred.

Never forget that shaking a drink has two effects...it breaks the ice up more and faster which chills the drink faster...but it also dilutes the drink...waters it down...more. Thus, at the end of the day, James was essentially asking for a weaker drink...and doing so very pretentiously.

Bond was at least consistent...he liked his firearms like he liked his liquor...weaker. Hence his choice of the PPK...in .32 caliber. This, however, was actually a step up for him as Bond was initially introduced carrying a Beretta 418...which is .25 caliber pistol. Dirty Harry he was not. They did, however, move him up to a PPK in .380 officially in...I think it was, Skyfall.

And don't get me wrong...I love me a good James Bond movie. But I also love to rank on the British...cause they British...and "Shoot A Tyrant In The Face Day," is right around the corner :D

WOLVERINES!

I've got an original Manuhin version of the PP in .32. Probably my LEAST favorite pistol I own - or at least a tie with the POS Taurus .22 revolver collecting dust next to it. Beautiful fit and finish, but the slide bite is so bad that I would end up bleeding more than anyone I tried to shoot with the cursed thing. I'd sell it off, but I can't bring myself to foist the POS off on some poor, unknowing soul.

In the 1960's, there was this big surge in interest in international spy dramas and stories. Like James Bond 007, Mission Impossible, The Man From UNCLE, et al. One of the recurrent themes was, real spies carry a Walther PPk.

Another thing from this phase of film entertainment was the nature of Interpol. Which we were lead to infer was this massive, all-reaching supra-international law enforcement agency. Which is false, it's only an information sharing organization, they have no enforcement authority.

Little known is that the predecessor of Interpol was a Nazi organization from 1938-1945. One of the presidents of Interpol during that era was Reinhard Heydrich (assassinated by Czech agents in 1942), and another was Ernst Kaltenbrunner (hanged as a war criminal in 1946).

Have a Sig P230 which I love, but I have never had the pleasure of shooting a PPK.
Has anyone shot both? If so please compare the experience.
I have both. Both weapons are very accurate. The Walther is a bit heavier and has a nicer trigger, but isn't drop safe unless you have the safety engaged. The Sig 230 is lighter, the trigger feels "springy" but is otherwise fine. For pocket carry I prefer the butt mag release (no accidental mag releasing due to the button being engaged by the pocket.) I have a 32 sig and the recoil is slightly more than the walther (about 6 ounces difference PP compared to 230) but recoil is quite mild except for the really hot Fiocchi 60 grain hollow point that clocks over 1100 fps. Both my Walther and the Sig feed the Fiocchi fine. My sig 230 in 32 is one of the Japanese contract overruns. The sig 230 in 380 has a bit more recoil, but is manageable with the hogue grips. The hogue grips don't fit on the 32 as it has a frame mounted safety (required by the Japanese contract.)

I would love to acquire a "clean" sig 230 32 but have never seen one for sale, it might not have met the point system for importation but I don't know. If my arthritis gets much worse I will likely carry the sig in 32. I would likely carry with fiocchi 73 grain fmj at 980 fps, the longer cartridge is optimal both for penetration and avoiding "rim lock" which is an issue in any 32 acp. There are differences in US vs. Euro casings that impact this as well as the full length of the fmj leaving less "slack" to develop rim lock. I used to have a ppk in 380, I found the recoil to be a bit snappy, the pp in 380 was more manageable. The ppk in 32 was a pleasure to shoot. I also have a 22 pp and it is reliable with CCI mini mag but not so much with the less expensive "plinking" ammo. My cheap iver johnson tp22 (an erma design) is actually more reliable with bargain 22 than my walthers!

Maerdlong, I am moving to northwest Oregon late next year, if you would like I can drop you a line then so you can experience the comparison directly.

I don't have a PPK/S, but I do have a few PPK's... these represent four generations of PPK (starting R to L): Early pre-war, late pre-war, post-war commercial, and Interarms/Ranger "American". The pre-wars are .32's; the post wars are .380's.

IMG_0431.jpg

I have both. Both weapons are very accurate. The Walther is a bit heavier and has a nicer trigger, but isn't drop safe unless you have the safety engaged. The Sig 230 is lighter, the trigger feels "springy" but is otherwise fine. For pocket carry I prefer the butt mag release (no accidental mag releasing due to the button being engaged by the pocket.) I have a 32 sig and the recoil is slightly more than the walther (about 6 ounces difference PP compared to 230) but recoil is quite mild except for the really hot Fiocchi 60 grain hollow point that clocks over 1100 fps. Both my Walther and the Sig feed the Fiocchi fine. My sig 230 in 32 is one of the Japanese contract overruns. The sig 230 in 380 has a bit more recoil, but is manageable with the hogue grips. The hogue grips don't fit on the 32 as it has a frame mounted safety (required by the Japanese contract.)

I would love to acquire a "clean" sig 230 32 but have never seen one for sale, it might not have met the point system for importation but I don't know. If my arthritis gets much worse I will likely carry the sig in 32. I would likely carry with fiocchi 73 grain fmj at 980 fps, the longer cartridge is optimal both for penetration and avoiding "rim lock" which is an issue in any 32 acp. There are differences in US vs. Euro casings that impact this as well as the full length of the fmj leaving less "slack" to develop rim lock. I used to have a ppk in 380, I found the recoil to be a bit snappy, the pp in 380 was more manageable. The ppk in 32 was a pleasure to shoot. I also have a 22 pp and it is reliable with CCI mini mag but not so much with the less expensive "plinking" ammo. My cheap iver johnson tp22 (an erma design) is actually more reliable with bargain 22 than my walthers!

Maerdlong, I am moving to northwest Oregon late next year, if you would like I can drop you a line then so you can experience the comparison directly.
Thanks for responding!
Yeah, I'm learning that both the P230 and PP/PPK came in multiple calibers, much more so than I was aware.
My P230 in 380 doesn't feel snappy to me, and I just love the sleep look compared to the PP/PPK. But the PP/PPK have their own appeal.
I appreciate your analysis and the offer to shoot your gun. So yes, drop me a line when you move up here.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top