JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i finally had the chance to talk my rifles to the gun range today. The FDE one fires very nice and I put 90 rounds of 55gr though today.

0069CE64-B70A-4D93-9A0A-4584DCAB04F0.jpeg

0FB5AC74-74E2-4560-BC54-0B7163A1B6F2.jpeg

15 yards. First shot was low...:(

My other build which I bought a chromed lined 18" upper and I put some Troy flip up sights on it. My lower was a complete BCM lower parts and included a fire control group as well. I bought buffer tube, buffer and a the spring in one package. It has a carbine buffer so I just but that one into the buffer tube. I fired one shot and bolt locked back. So I tried again and bolt locked back again. So I swapped the carbine buffer with an H2 buffer instead. Had the same results I fired and bolt lock back with the H2 as well. some buffer springs as well.

Do I need a heavier buffer? The BCG is nickel boron which I bought as well. Have no experience with s nickel boron BCG. I can try a phosphate BCG in instead as well.

8CCDD81B-60E6-4209-A7B8-52EBE066C71B.jpeg

Carbine one is on left and H2 on right. One thing I notice is I can hear the spring moving.

Thank you

Last Edited:
1st try a different magazine.

if that doesnt help, get some cleaning oil, take the bolt out spray the bolt, charging handle and inside the upper. put it together, pull back the charging handle 100 times then take it apart and wipe off all the grey oil/metal slurry. then lightly lube the bolt and re assemble.

also, you could try the upper on a different lower. if it functions, it could tell you that your lower or something on your lower could be out of spec.

The bolt, bolt carrier, and buffer itself has nothing to do with the bolt catch working or not. Well, it can affect cycling, which could cause the gun to not go full battery and allow the bolt catch to do its job.

If the bolt catch is engaging after every round fired its either the bolt catch, or your magazine causing the issues.

To test the magazine, insert dummy rounds and manually cycle the action releasingthe charging handle each time. If it is catching the bolt catch and other magazines don't it is that magazine.

I'm truly thinking it is the bolt catch itself though.

To test, see if the bolt catch resistance is there, IE if you press up on it from the magwell it goes back down under its proper spring tension. Or just press on the smaller part below the paddle. It should have good spring tension to hold itself down under normal operation.

Possible problems:

You put the wrong spring in when assembling the bolt catch, too weak and will cause it to lock open randomly.

You forgot the plunger and only installed the spring, same issue as above.

You installed neither the spring or the plunger. Same as above.

Hope this helps any.

Also the bolt catch itself could be bad, oversized or off spec and catching a bit of a cartridge in the magazine causing it to engage all the time.

The thing that peaks my curiosity is how you are able to charge the weapon at all if it is catching randomly. If it is doing it after every round fired, I'm curious if it is catching when you charge the gun for the first round too.

1st try a different magazine.

if that doesnt help, get some cleaning oil, take the bolt out spray the bolt, charging handle and inside the upper. put it together, pull back the charging handle 100 times then take it apart and wipe off all the grey oil/metal slurry. then lightly lube the bolt and re assemble.

also, you could try the upper on a different lower. if it functions, it could tell you that your lower or something on your lower could be out of spec.

I tired both a G3 PMag and Lancer magazine and both mags had the bolt locked back after firing a round.

Thank you.

Also the bolt catch itself could be bad, oversized or off spec and catching a bit of a cartridge in the magazine causing it to engage all the time.

The thing that peaks my curiosity is how you are able to charge the weapon at all if it is catching randomly. If it is doing it after every round fired, I'm curious if it is catching when you charge the gun for the first round too.

I have a Magpul BAD lever installed so I would release the bolt and fire another round. I fired 60 rounds.

Perhaps the BAD lever is installed incorrectly and pushing away from the receiver causing the bolt catch to always have tension.

I'm curious, with an empty chamber. New mag inserted, when you go to charge the gun is it kicking open? Or is this only happening when firing the gun? What I'm asking is can you replicate the problem by manually operating the gun?

Perhaps the BAD lever is installed incorrectly and pushing away from the receiver causing the bolt catch to always have tension.

I'm curious, with an empty chamber. New mag inserted, when you go to charge the gun is it kicking open? Or is this only happening when firing the gun? What I'm asking is can you replicate the problem by manually operating the gun?

I will see when I am free to look at my rifle. I can take the BAD lever off and try it again. I am carful not too over tighten the the screw for the lever.

Thanks

The screw itself attaching the BAD lever to the bolt release won't be the problem...Reno911 has the problem isolated...the bolt catch. Just make sure the BAD screw is secure, and still attached properly.

If the BAD lever is under tension as Reno911 mentioned, in that it's pushing up on the catch...or, possibly as you fire, your trigger finger is coming in contact with the lever which will actuate the catch..I've seen this before.

Its more than likely the catch itself.

Yes it was the BAD lever that was the cause. I took the BAD lever off loaded two dummy rounds into a magazine. Pulled the charging handle, pulled trigger then ejected the dummy round and since I had another dummy round in the magazine the bolt went forward and did not lock back.

Thank you.

Were you able to see exactly what the BAD lever was doing to cause the problem?

With the BAD lever on bolt lock it pulls the causing the bolt lock to engage.

C24DFAA7-FAC0-4D1E-953A-94C8E2AC37D2.jpeg 5A1EFCA4-6D57-4AB5-B620-6F46EF4F3AEC.jpeg

I am right handed and I bought the BAD levers for both factory made rifles and both work fine. My home built ones the FDE the BAD lever works fine the other does not. For HD I will reach for my factory built AR or my FDE one.

I've had BAD levers on my rifles since about 10-12 years ago...never a problem. I've heard of problems with them, but haven't experienced any, so have always been interested in what problems people have had.

From the pics, obviously not enough clearance behind the paddle. Might try a one piece style?

I've had BAD levers on my rifles since about 10-12 years ago...never a problem. I've heard of problems with them, but haven't experienced any, so have always been interested in what problems people have had.

From the pics, obviously not enough clearance behind the paddle. Might try a one piece style?

It is the upper receiver that I bought which is an 18" chromed lined upper from Palmetto State Armory. I tried a different lower made with Spikes Tactical parts for the lower. It has a BAD lever as well and it exhibited the behavior where the bolt locks back. When I try the Spikes Tactical with a different upper which is a 16" stainless steel with melonite it does not happen.

Might be able to sand off a bit of the back to get it to clear.

Or like Cerberus said get a one piece.

upload_2018-11-10_13-15-3.jpeg

I have BAD levers on all my rifles and this was the first time I have had any issues with one.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top