JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Beginner question for all of you. Not for any hunting purposes but rather to teach my kids shooting at a range, which would you recommend? (Ruger American vs Ruger 10/22. Is there a reason to have both? I can't think of a reason to have both a bolt action and a semi automatic 22LR rifle, but maybe I'm missing something. Thanks in advance for all your answers.

Most who go with a bolt are trying to keep the new shooter from going fast and making a mistake. Its a too each his own kind of thing. I have long just used a semi to train. If I was concerned I would just load a mag with only a couple rounds at first. As soon as I was comfortable would let them use a full mag. Main thing for me is when I am either teaching a new shooter or even just taking one out who has not done it in a long time is I do not take my eyes off them or shoot with them. Until I am comfortable that they are safe I stand behind them and am not shooting anything. I am watching them.

For this very purpose, single shot bolt rifles were made. A zillion years ago when Boy Scouts would have a range day, the SS bolts were there. Teaches proper gun handling, easy empty chamber checks, easily understood operation. Look in pawn shops for a cheap one and move up as the kids do.

One of the benefits of some of the bolt actions is that they will feed .22 rimfire from shorts to long rifle.

I am not aware of any semis that will do that.

Except for some hunting, or competition, there is not a lot of benefit in semis for .22 rimfire.

My recommendation is the Marlin XT22 tube fed mag in stainless.

One of the benefits of some of the bolt actions is that they will feed .22 rimfire from shorts to long rifle.

Except for some hunting, or competition, there is not a lot of benefit in semis for .22 rimfire.

The genius JMB had that figured out with the first production semi-auto 22 rifle...
22Browning 22 Semi-Auto rifle

As to the OP, get the 10/22, they are great fun and sized appropriate for small shooters as well as something to grow into shooting, if you want to slow them down load a single round or 2 or 3.

Last Edited:
This is a hard one.

When I started out I'd have said the semi. Mostly as back then I did a lot of standing shooting on public lands when 22 was $20 for 1000 rounds. Precision wasn't much of a concern for me and laying waste to large quantities of ammo was the enjoyment aspect.

Now I'm more interested in slowing things down and making shots count. Bolt guns do this way better in my opinion. Their design is intrinsically better suited for it. Not that you can't still get the 25 round mag for the American though and go a bit faster running the bolt faster.

If you are stuck on the legacy that is Ruger I fully understand they make great guns. However, I'd likely point you towards a CZ if you were leaning towards the bolt action option. Their 457 offerings, any of them really, are hands down a better choice over any of the Ruger American Rimfire models. I'd highly recommend you at least look into the 457 scout model.

I learnt to shoot with this old Walther Sportmodel 2, used as a single-shot bolt action.

Then, after a while, as a five-shot repeater.

And then, sometime later, as a semi-auto.

My dad bought it in 1930, and having been almost blinded when he was detained by soldiers of the king after blowing up one of His Majesty's police stations back in 1921, he found that needed a scope to see better.

1667662404317.png

Everything is as original as it was back in 1930.

Teach them slow and let them find their own pace of learning to shoot. Regardless of what some people say, it is not natural - it's just that some folks are naturally better able to translate fine motor movements into results.

The lessons I learned from an early age have become part of my way of shooting.

Bolt action would be my preference because it forces kids to learn single action. Separates working the action from the shot. Ideally load one round into the chamber each time to start, which also helps them build good habits of learning how to unload safely, load safely, etc they are constantly seeing the chamber whether it has a bullet in it or not. Then can load one round in the mag. Then more rounds in the mag. Much different than semi where you don't see the chamber between shots. Can graduate to semi later.

I like the armscorp $120 m14y youth rifle so much I bought 2 of them. 12" length of pull, 18" threaded barrel. If you have a suppressor that makes it even less scary to start for them (but not required of course). Mine are surprisingly very accurate. I use mine for pesting because the sound is nearly nothing with a suppressor so it has multiple uses. No problem putting shots in ear hole or eyehole consistently with decent ammo.

Remington 552 will feed shorts, longs and LR

For a new shooter a bolt may be advantageous so they can focus on the fundamentals of shooting . The semi auto may throw in a jam or miss feed (that never happens ) and could frustrate them to the point where they give up the sport .

Ideally, I would start them on a bolt action, but in practical terms and long term use... I would go with a semi. A bolt is great for beginners and accuracy, but soon enough they will want a semi, the bolt action will go unused from that point on and the semi will be used for years to come.

From a purely long term useability and financial standpoint, investing in a decent semi might make more sense.

With the caveat... if you have several children that will be up and coming and make use of the bolt action in their "beginner years"... a bolt might be more worthwhile.

First step would be the age of your kids and what fits them best. If your kids are small I would recommend a youth model like the Rascal or the Cricket. Both are bolt action single shots and perfect for the beginner to learn the fundamentals while having a rifle that fits their stature making for a better experience. I bought a Rascal for my Grand Daughter when she was 5 and it made a world of difference in how quickly she became proficient with the fundamentals. I switched her to a 10/22 with a red dot a year later and any "rats" within 50 yards were toast.

Ideally, I would start them on a bolt action, but in practical terms and long term use... I would go with a semi. A bolt is great for beginners and accuracy, but soon enough they will want a semi, the bolt action will go unused from that point on and the semi will be used for years to come.
I've been shooting .22 rimfire for almost 60 years. I have semis, bolts, single shot, revolvers and lever action .22 rimfires. None of them go unused.

Beginner question for all of you. Not for any hunting purposes but rather to teach my kids shooting at a range, which would you recommend? (Ruger American vs Ruger 10/22. Is there a reason to have both? I can't think of a reason to have both a bolt action and a semi automatic 22LR rifle, but maybe I'm missing something. Thanks in advance for all your answers.
I started my kids on a Chipmunk .22, got it back in '82 and 3 kids learned to shoot with it
we had a 10/22 at the same time, but they tended to use up to much ammo with it
also the Chipmunk is downsized for children - length of pull is fine for a 6 year old

I like the bolt for starting new shooters out for the reasons others have mentioned. Not sure how young the OP's kids are, but there are several models designed with smaller/younger shooters in mind.

I started out with a single shot bolt action, but pretty quickly moved on to a 10/22. What I learned with the auto loader was that a follow up shot was ready to go, right away, without any effort on my part. As a kid, I don't think this helped me make each shot count.

Subsequently, I have acquired quite a few 22 rifles. Mostly bolts, and a few levers. I prefer these to the autoloaders for rifles, but nothing wrong with an autoloader.

If going the bolt action route, check out the CZ Scout as Reno mentioned. Takes magazines, but comes with a single shot adapter. Shorter barrel, and shorter stock LOP, but good quality with a decent trigger that is often lacking in other youth models. And you can swap stocks to a full size when your kids grow (or to make more comfortable for you to use). On the 455 and 457 models, you can swap barrels also. I have 3 Scouts, and all of them are shooters.

For this very purpose, single shot bolt rifles were made. A zillion years ago when Boy Scouts would have a range day, the SS bolts were there. Teaches proper gun handling, easy empty chamber checks, easily understood operation. Look in pawn shops for a cheap one and move up as the kids do.
This is the way ^^^
Sadly, in today's "Want It All-Want It Now" society the typical young father is very apt to reach for the 10/22.
There's something about a single shot bolt action and developing young riflemen.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top