JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey folks, I hope everyone got out to see the eclipse before the clouds rolled in, it was pretty great. I went out into my yard with my Barska 9- 27x25 binoculars and couldn't get them to focus worth squat. I realized that the left eye was focusing just fine but the right was blurred. Then I noticed the cap/end of the right (non-adjustable side) was a bit loose and once I got inside screwed off with ease. Mystery solved about why it was out of focus.

These binoculars have been with me for about 11 years. I used them in the military so they have sustained a lot of abuse and I have got my money out of them. However, I like to repair and reuse instead of buying new whenever possible. Does anyone know enough about binoculars to point me in the right direction for any link or article on how to properly repair this set?

Or should I just accept their fate, thank them for their service, and toss 'em?
IMG_0353.jpg

Repair? Contact the mfg for that estimate.

There's a raft of really decent binos on the market for well under $200.

2 years ago I got in on a Burris promotion & snagged a really decent 8x42 for $100 out of pocket.

I've never actually used a Barska that worked for me.

Good luck trying to fix your binos. As you said, the eclipse was great until the clouds rolled in. I am an amature astronomer, my binos last night were the celestron cometrons 7x50. They go for 35$ online, and the 7x power is great for handheld use not requiring a tripod to see things clearly and the 50mm lens helps grab more light to brighten up things like andromeda and the orion nebula. I also brought out my 6in orion dobsonion telescope with a 32mm teleview eyepiece for main viewing. 51B+ZUSCiWL._SL1200_.jpg 7179hE2KVaL._SL1500_.jpg

Good luck trying to fix your binos. As you said, the eclipse was great until the clouds rolled in. I am an amature astronomer, my binos last night were the celestron cometrons 7x50. They go for 35$ online, and the 7x power is great for handheld use not requiring a tripod to see things clearly and the 50mm lens helps grab more light to brighten up things like andromeda and the orion nebula. I also brought out my 6in orion dobsonion telescope with a 32mm teleview eyepiece for main viewing.View attachment 540085 View attachment 540086

And you didn't bring pictures? Shame on you! :s0123:

And you didn't bring pictures? Shame on you! :s0123:

Hah, I tried to get one through the eyepiece with my cellphone, but the red hue made it too dim for the phone to pick up. But I did get some good ones of the solar eclipse down in Oregon, what a show that was.

But I did get some good ones of the solar eclipse down in Oregon, what a show that was.

I got no picture of that. I was out trimming a hedge here in PDX! It was quite festive. 2-3 pairs of glasses being handed around between neighbors. I was fine right here with it. No way in H-E-L-L I wanted to be in the mess of people in THE zone.

All Barska products come with a limited lifetime guarantee...just call them and arrange to send them back. They'll most likely just replace them with a new pair.

That said, you get what you pay for with optics. There is no free lunch. Anyone that tells you differently has never used high end optics. Sure, the cheap ones will do the job, but will need to be replaced eventually and will not give you a clean edge to edge picture with no chromatic aberration. Another pro of the high end optics is their light gathering capabilities in low light situations, ie. dusk/dawn. They will gather enough light to even outproduce your eyes in those situations. Another situation where they excel is when viewing a long distance and their ability to stay focesed when observing through heat mirage.

Not everyone can justify spending $1000-3000 on a pair of binoculars or a spotting scope, but they are very well worth the money if you can afford them and use them frequently. There is a reason why top wildlife experts, birders, guides etc, use companies like Zeiss, Leica, Kowa and Swarovski. They make the best in the business and perform like no other.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top