JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, the .458 Socom makes holes you can SEE!
.458 on left w/spent case, next to 5.56 and .308. You can fit an entire 5.56 round inside a .458 case. This was during my load testing on Sunday.
20190820_210734.jpg 20190820_210843.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't really comment on the two you mentioned as I have not yet owned either. I do however have a 450 bushmaster, that I really like. I did read everything I could find on the 450 and the 458, but ultimately chose the 450b, mainly because I'm cheap, the Bush was much cheaper and I have a ton of bullets already for it. A lot of the posts I read about the two turned into ford-Chevy arguments, so for what I'm planning on using it for, whitetail hunting in reforested timber land, fifty to seventy five yards shots, equipped with red dot sight, either would do. I just finished working up loads for the grendel and 300b, so the Bush is next, but I'm very happy with the accuracy of the hornady 250g flex tip. I enjoy shooting it, it's definitely a thumper, but I don't think you can go wrong with any of the three.
450BM has my vote. 458 lead bullets could be sized down to work in 450BM. If you are shooting jacketed bullets 450BM will be more affordable to reload for.

Every time I think about big bore AR, I look at the energy and price of ammo compared to .308, basically, it's the same or less energy impact on target for a lot more money and a lot less magazine capacity.

The only, and I mean only, redeeming value in my opinion of any of .458, .450, or 50 in the AR is for wanting to go SBR / braced pistol route and making the barrel 12.5" Doing so on a .308 would have significant impact to velocity, energy on target, and concussive force outside of the barrel. Seemingly not as much on the .458 .450 or 50

I'm waiting to see how the 350 legend does in the market place. Winchester finally came out with deer loads. Ruger now has rifles chambered for those rounds. Basically, a straight walled .223/5.56 cartridge. Really waiting for reloaders to work up decent loads.

I'm waiting to see how the 350 legend does in the market place. Winchester finally came out with deer loads. Ruger now has rifles chambered for those rounds. Basically, a straight walled .223/5.56 cartridge. Really waiting for reloaders to work up decent loads.
They should have looked into the magazine though.

They require proprietary mags. So far only 5 round mags are available. Time will tell if someone makes something with better capacities.

The factory ammo was also having tons of case overall length issues off the get go. Not sure if Winchester did a recall or not. They were way over length and shooters were reporting huge over pressure issues.

I have high hopes for the cartridge. Hope they work out the kinks and get it marketed to other markets vs just straight wall hunting states.

They require proprietary mags. So far only 5 round mags are available. Time will tell if someone makes something with better capacities.

Duramag and Cmmg have 10 rounders

10 is getting there lol. Hoping to see at least a 20 rounder for my consideration. Otherwise it will just be a hunting cartridge in my opinion.

If you plan on getting a can for it, get the 458 socom, it uses rifle bullets, which are easier to find in 500gr or heavier, the 450 bushmaster uses pistol bullets which top out around 350gr. I didn't read all the comments so its possible this is a duplicate info

I got a tromix 16" barrel and bolt combo in 458 socom and built it out. It feeds many different styles of bullets well and is quite accurate. From very heavy sub loads to thumper supersonics it works very well. If you are a reloader and have projectiles for 45-70 loads already the 458 socom makes a lot of sense. I use mine for hunting subsonic with 500 gr Maker subsonic expanding bullets. I have not shot a deer with it yet but I have no doubts about it's lethality compared to the 300 black out I was using in the same role. Tromix makes good stuff and will stand behind it as long as you are not an a-hole, lol.

0BFB8A32-A226-4748-9D08-7C33442EF7D8.jpeg

Here is a link to my build

I got a tromix 16" barrel and bolt combo in 458 socom and built it out. It feeds many different styles of bullets well and is quite accurate. From very heavy sub loads to thumper supersonics it works very well. If you are a reloader and have projectiles for 45-70 loads already the 458 socom makes a lot of sense. I use mine for hunting subsonic with 500 gr Maker subsonic expanding bullets. I have not shot a deer with it yet but I have no doubts about it's lethality compared to the 300 black out I was using in the same role. Tromix makes good stuff and will stand behind it as long as you are not an a-hole, lol.

View attachment 611964
Nice looking rig !
And great choice of chamberings.

This thread reminds me...

I was poking around the web for the "ultimate" big game hunting cartridge that would fit in standard AR and came across the 7mm Valkyrie AR (7VAR), it's looks a pretty badass performer. Here are some statements from 7mm Valkyrie AR web site...

The 7mm Valkyrie Ar is a full power Wildcat hunting round developed for the AR15. It's goals were to give AR10 performance in the smaller,lighter AR15 chassis.

It is living up to it's design goals. It will push a 140 grain bullet 2700-2850 fps and 168 bullets 2450-2600 fps. Which puts it in the 7mm-08 range of power but still in an AR15.

The Valkyrie was designed by Bruce Finnegan and he was helped in development by a group of like minded guys they called the Founders.

Pressure testing was done with the pressure trace system along with accuracy testing. We have a pet load chart to get guys up and running fast with the Valkyrie.

Brass is made from 6.5x47 lapua it is the best brass to make the cases from. Other 308 cases will work but performance is sacrificed.

The 7mm VALKYRIE was designed to be one of the most powerful hunting rounds for the AR-15 platform. In order to do that the 7mm VALKYRIE uses a proprietary bolt/barrel extension that are sold with the barrel all other standard AR-15 parts are used.

The remainder of the rifle is all standard AR15 rifle components. To be clear, the 7mm VALKYRIE uses standard, readily available AR-15 upper receivers, bolt carriers, buffers, buffer springs, stocks, gas blocks, barrel nuts, hand guards and lower receivers without modification.

The 7mm VALKYRIE works best with 6.8 PRI magazines because they allow 2.31 oal and they are stiffer so they don't bulge when loading. Some of the longer and heavier bullets require an oal of 2.34 inches which requires a notched magazine which will limit capacity to 5 or so rounds. Other 6.8 and 6.5 mags work but capacity is limited because of the mag swelling when loading. Typically around 4 rounds in the asc 6.8 mag and the cproducts 6.5 mag from my testing.

7MM VALKYRIE AR

There as forum with a bunch of load information, ballistic gel tests, builds and such...

7VAR (7mm Valkyrie) - Modern Sporting Rifle Evolution

I was curious if anyone here has given this round a shot. (Pun intended)
I wonder if this one will succeed and not be in the same state as .224 valkyrie.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top