JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi, can anyone recommend a good scope for the Marlin 1895 45-70 SBL? Any real-use cases that led to best practices? This is my first time stepping away from the AR platform and my first scope purchase. I've only purchased red dots before and my head starts to swim with all the info.. From what I've read, scout scopes seem to be the most popular given the relatively shorter range. Also, should I have it installed professionally? Or would my novice gun skills/tools and YouTube suffice? And last, how much is too much on scope rings? They seem to range in prices as wide as the scopes... Looking to spend under 1k and buy once if possible.. Appreciate any info!

Scout scope.

I use a Burris 2-7X pistol scope because it is variable power and has adequate eye relief to be mounted as a scout scope.

If you can't take to the idea of a forward mounted scope, I would suggest a LPVO something ~1x-6X.

I would recommend a Leupold with the old German #4, fixed 4x scope. Set it for x inches over at 100 and be happy. The heavy duplex will guide you on low-light conditions, where light isn't great. I have an old M8 on my 9.3x62 and love it. You don't have to worry about changing magnification under the stress of hunt. We have switched over to hunting with fixed scopes from variables. And love it.

I had very briefly put a pistol scope on my Henry in 38-55, with a 3" Vortex solid mount on bases. There was too much eye relief- my cheek weld was crappy, even though it was set way out there.

I would recommend a Leupold with the old German #4, fixed 4x scope. Set it for x inches over at 100 and be happy. The heavy duplex will guide you on low-light conditions, where light isn't great. I have an old M8 on my 9.3x62 and love it. You don't have to worry about changing magnification under the stress of hunt. We have switched over to hunting with fixed scopes from variables. And love it.

I had very briefly put a pistol scope on my Henry in 38-55, with a 3" Vortex solid mount on bases. There was too much eye relief- my cheek weld was crappy, even though it was set way out there.

I leave my scopes at their lowest power when hunting. I use a higher power for testing loads and sometimes for scoping game or longer shots.

Some people can't get used to the longer eye relief, but I love it because I can keep both eyes open and with the low power (2X) I have no problems getting off quick accurate shots.

My own favorites for any lever gun are open sights. Look at either Full Buckhorn or peep sights. If you are used to a red dot you will have an easy time picking these up. they are very quick to align and don't require you to focus on the front with peeps, or with the Full buckhorn you have three trajectory's for up close mid range or long range shooting.
Heres a pic of the sight picture using a Buckhorn sight.

When you use peep sights you get a little more precision and My old eyes don't focus at all on the front or rear sights. You just aim through and only focus on the target. These work on the same principal as the open Olympic sights that World Records are set with. I use a Williams FP rear sight and a Lyman 17A front sight.
Both of them are historically correct on a lever gun . And they are tough enough to travel with without worry of getting them knocked off target during travel. Good Luck in AK!

My GBL has the XS ghost rear and what amounts to their "Bear buster" front. Putting it through the paces the other day- I killed a milkjug at 200, offhand on the 2nd go. Mr. Heretic- Murphy's law dictates that when things can go wrong they will. Yes, it does have an etched reticle. I do appreciate your advice on a low-magnification optic, no need to get the fellow in trouble shooting further than the caliber will be "effective" but if he is used to an intermediate eye relief, why not fixed in a heavy reticle? Mr. IN- get comfortable in your new rifle and shoot it- as much as you can. Then determine if you are in need of any optic. The very best of luck to you in AK!

Hi, can anyone recommend a good scope for the Marlin 1895 45-70 SBL? Any real-use cases that led to best practices? This is my first time stepping away from the AR platform and my first scope purchase. I've only purchased red dots before and my head starts to swim with all the info.. From what I've read, scout scopes seem to be the most popular given the relatively shorter range. Also, should I have it installed professionally? Or would my novice gun skills/tools and YouTube suffice? And last, how much is too much on scope rings? They seem to range in prices as wide as the scopes... Looking to spend under 1k and buy once if possible.. Appreciate any info!
I hunt deer with a scoped Marlin lever gun and my scope recommendation for any hunting scope is one with the widest field of view. To me thats at least 30 feet at the lowest setting or 3x. A wide FOV is even more important on a close range hunting rifle like a lever gun.

I recommend any of the Leupold VX-Freedom series and highly recommend if you can find one with their Firedot reticle its worth it for low light conditions. Mounting a scope to a picatinny rail is easy with Warne Maxima rings as long as you get the proper torque wrench, Maxima series rings do not need lapping or professional installation.

My GBL has the XS ghost rear and what amounts to their "Bear buster" front. Putting it through the paces the other day- I killed a milkjug at 200, offhand on the 2nd go. Mr. Heretic- Murphy's law dictates that when things can go wrong they will. Yes, it does have an etched reticle. I do appreciate your advice on a low-magnification optic, no need to get the fellow in trouble shooting further than the caliber will be "effective" but if he is used to an intermediate eye relief, why not fixed in a heavy reticle? Mr. IN- get comfortable in your new rifle and shoot it- as much as you can. Then determine if you are in need of any optic. The very best of luck to you in AK!

I am an advocate of peep sights, but the OP asked for optics.

Also, as I get older, I prefer optics more and more, especially on rifles which typically have a longer sight radius making it harder to focus on the front sight that is typically more than 2 feet distant from my eyes. Even with a scout scope I find easier to focus on the reticle than the front sight.

They each have their pros and cons - almost any optic can have problems with heavy rain, and some with fogging (especially when going between indoors and outdoors).

I have different optics for different guns. For my PS90 I have a dual illumination Mepro M21. For other defensive carbines I may use the M21 or the Leupold prismatic sight. For hunting or a longer distance SD rifle (like a 7.62x39) I prefer the scout scope setup with variable power. I have a long distance only scope 5-30X.

I wouldn't use a scout scope unless the gun is equipped to mount the scope forward of the receiver. A Leupold 1-4x20 or 1.5-5x20 in warne detachable rings would be my choice. This way, in the event you need to use your irons, you can remove the scope easily.

867C9E9A-097D-4F6F-A9B3-E6773A3AF103.jpeg