JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am about to start my first AR build and would like some input on what lower and parts kits are the best in the mid level price range. Gun will be just a go out and shoot for fun type gun. I know this is a very open question but just looking to pick some brains. right now i am looking at a spikes lower and a stag kit.

I honestly believe most lowers are made by a handful of companies. As long as it's mil-spec, just pick whatever rollmark you like best.

If you're willing to wait Palmetto has their lowers for 57 bucks shipped sometimes.

I also believe part kits are the same way. A lot of people are pretty happy with the palmetto state armory stuff.

If you're up to it PM "Nubus" he's one of the guys who runs TNT Weaponry, tell him I sent you. He'll hook you up with a lower build kit (Lpk+ buffer tube, spring, buffer, and stock.) I'm about to purchase my second upper from them, they are a great group of guys.

Mid level? I am not aware of an indusrty association of AR "graders". It all pretty much boils down to personal opinion. I know some one is going to jump all over this statement. But ask your self objectively, "how much of this is marketing bullbubblegum?", where is the value? Sure, some do a better job of quality control and assembly, but if you spend more than a grand for a basic assembled AR, you have been duped.

(about $700 and you can build your own, and for all practical purposes it will serve you well)

This question is to loaded. As with all thing you have to look at what you want your gun to have. Do you want a barrel that will take a beating? Them get hammer forged. Do you like the gas or piston system? Trigger upgrades are everywhere too. "mid" level is all opinion but I would suggest something like stag, bushmaster, rra...

what exactly is mid level, low level, and high level?

for a decent budget AR, I am with Coop44 as well; are you going to put it all together yourself? or get one off the rack? there are options between the kits and diy projects, and the pre assembled systems.....and then the custom builds or more expensive names....

heres a better question..which companies are to be avoided at all costs (Vector an Hesse comes to mind...), which companies are OK to use, and which companies offer the best finish and fit and names and warranties?

Don't worry about the parts kit.Just a parts kit.

The thing that will make the difference is the trigger.

And you won't get a great one from any "parts kit"
So buy any parts kit you want,then buy a top tier trigger like a Chip McCormick or a Timney.
Guiesse? (spelling)

DPMS seems to be the lowest cost

G&R sells what they call a "mil-spec" LPK, mostly LMT bits.
<broken link removed>

My personal preference is the ArmaLite two stage kit for $120. You get the best two stage AR trigger you can find that's is user adjustable. I'll put any of my ArmaLite's up against any aftermarket two stage AR trigger that cost $200 or more.

Thanks for the input. Like i said this is my first AR and I am going to build it myself. I think what I was looking for was more what Camodeafie said what to avoid and some personal info on what worked best for a gun that is just for fun shooting nothing serious. So far thinking Spikes lower and a DPMS parts kit and magpul furniture.
The upper still trying to figure out. Again thanks for any and all input. Hoping to get this built for under $700.00 wish me luck.

Most prebuilt uppers will run about 400 +, for a mid level unit. If you keep your lower under 300 you should be able to hit your 700 target.
IMHO, anyone selling uppers without a BCG and CH for over 400 bux are just asking too much..

If you do build up your lower from scratch, google the 'ar15 trigger job'
with a needlenose pliers & some buffing/polishing compound, you can get a decent trigger compared to stock for just a 1/2 hour of your time. I've done 2, and its worth the effort. I also shoot 'hard primer' ammo (milspec stuff) with no problem. Just go easy on bending/cutting the springs.

If you can stretch your budget a little, one of the most innovative AR lowers is the AXTS, made in Salem.

These would be overkill for a plinker or target rifle but for a combat style rifle it's the best.

AXTS01.jpg
AXTS02.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews