Best Handguard to barrel ratio?

Reactions
I'm putting together my first build with a 10.5inch 300 Blackout barrel. I'm used to shooting the slightly longer 14.5inch barrels out of M4s so I wanted to give this one as much handguard as I could so I can have a comfortable pull. Since the last half inch of the barrel is all thread and some amount goes into the upper receiver, would a 10" handguard not give me enough room to properly fix a muzzle break or can on it? I know different handguards and barrels can differ but I was wondering if there's a common consensus about how much room you want to give the end of the barrel.

3MTA3

Reactions
IMO the only way to know for sure is to dry fit the parts. Not all hand guards have the same inner diameter and thus will give different clearances. You can use the builder app at ar15.com and if part won't work it won't allow you to add them. I'd consider going to a LGS that builds AR's and see if they can help you figure out your part's list. In my area I have found that Curt's on McLoughlin is pretty friendly and accommodating.

To accommodate a shorter hand guard consider an AFG. They are legal for an AR-15 pistol if that's what you are building. If it's an SBR then either a VG or an AFG will help to straighten out your wrist compared to just the hand guard.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Free Firearms Safety Course (I-1639 Compliant)
Virtual Webinar (Zoom). Registration Link in the course description.
Seattle, WA, USA
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Sportsman's Warehouse - Albany
    5.00 star(s)
    Good products at good prices with friendly and knowledgeable staff!
    We like to visit the Albany location as it's closer but have been to several others and they have all been great!:D
  • Umpqua Survival
    4.00 star(s)
    Easy NFA transfer
    I had a silencer transferred through their shop. The paperwork was quick and the staff helpful and friendly. Whilst waiting, I did see a nice...
  • MK Tactical
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome staff
    Being new to the area and having just made an online purchase of an AR lower, I opted to use MK Tactical as my FFL, without knowing anything about...
  • J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Good local shop
    Picked up a rifle yesterday from J&B. This was the second or third gun purchase over the last few years from them. I always enjoy stopping by...
  • H&K Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    The only place I have found 9mm in stock
    I’ll admit I didn’t even know this place existed, as I don’t tend to go into Forest Grove often. But it’s a giant (looks bigger from the...
Top Bottom