JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Simple question for the collective brainpower of NWFA: What would you recommend as the best folding stock for a feller assembling a hunting rifle?
Too broad a question. Okay, let's narrow it down. Let's assume big game: deer, elk, black bear. Let's assume there are some hills involved so carrying and weight have to be part of the equation. Let's assume you can pick whatever cartridge you want, just so long as it is appropriate for the game being hunted. Let's assume it accommodates a Rem 700 clone action... whether short, long, CIP action is up to you. Let's assume it has to acommodate AICS mags. Those initial parameters should get us started.
So, which would you recommend?
And better yet, if you have direct experience with a preferred folding stock please share your impressions.

Manners makes good stocks. 3 and half pounds if including adjustable cheek... getting on on the heavier side? I know some out there are less than 2 pounds.

If you are into the idea of an ultralight chassis the best one in my opinion is the xlr magnesium ones. Either the atom or the element 4.0, i have the element on my 6.5 prc. The next best one might be the MDT hunter26 but i have no experience with it. They're all around 30-34oz with the folders i think

20210518_093023.jpg 20210518_093101.jpg 20210518_104235.jpg

If you are into the idea of an ultralight chassis the best one in my opinion is the xlr magnesium ones. Either the atom or the element 4.0, i have the element on my 6.5 prc. The next best one might be the MDT hunter26 but i have no experience with it. They're all around 30-34oz with the folders i think

View attachment 1115127 View attachment 1115128 View attachment 1115129
Jeez, Cameron, nothing like making us jealous! That rig looks fantastic and with a fantastic round to boot. Beautiful. I suppose it's a tack driver, too. Which action did you drop into it, and any fitting issues experienced with action or trigger?

Jeez, Cameron, nothing like making us jealous! That rig looks fantastic and with a fantastic round to boot. Beautiful. I suppose it's a tack driver, too. Which action did you drop into it, and any fitting issues experienced with action or trigger?
Lol thank you, it definitely shoots well but some snobs might say its lipstick on a pig.. the chassis was as much as the whole rifle the action is off of! Its just a savage 110 ultralite, i didn't feel like paying the extra money for a higher end action. Even tho i had to wait for the chassis at least i was able to go out and shoot it with that god awful accustock the rifle came in. For the money, its hard to beat if you want a proof carbon barrel. I put a $25 bolt lift kit on it and it got really smoothed out the savage bolt which was stiff. No fitment issues, XLR makes specific inlets including one for the rem 700 actions. The built in bubble level and arca rail is great too. One of the biggest advantages IMO you dont hear people mention alot about chassis is that you dont have to bed the action to them like a traditional stock. Technically you could use multiple barreled actions on one chassis as long as they're the same inlet and length. These are great for hunters but they also have weight kits you can add onto them for PRS etc

Like the other guy mentioned, the magnesium XLR is great for light weight with a folding stock. There is one version of the Manners stock without the embedded mini chassis that folds and weight 2.5 lbs. But it is way more expensive and needs to be bedded. In my mind the only reason for that one is to look "less tactical" if that is a preference. Be aware that the lead time on the magnesium XLR is up to six months or so because of supply chain blah blah.

Last Edited:
Oh and it looks like the new begara mg lite comes with the xlr magnesium chassis, seems like a great option if you like the color and calibers and barrel lengths. Honestly if you're willing to wait or if you have a barreled action already it can still be cheaper to order your own chassis from xlr since it looks like the bergara is about $3k. Then again for like $800 more than the bergara you can also get suppressed weapons systems to build you a custom integrally suppressed rifle in an xlr chassis if you dont mind waiting even longer and getting a tax stamp. Nice to have options, albeit expensive ones

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top