JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Glue it with "whatever works" glue and find someone that does custom carbon fiber (tons of people do it) and have a one off replacement made from it. I once knew a guy that was making motorcycle fenders that way when carbon fiber parts first became the "new best thing" Might be a fun DYI project.

Titebond 3 is the bast option. Best rated glue by Fine Wood Working and found to be stronger than the surrounding wood when clamped correctly.

If you use epoxy the cleanup can be a nightmare with any squeeze out.

Superglue. It will work on oil soaked wood.

I use it in all my repairs.

On this heal. I made a plunge cut and tubed out a space for a patch. Then super glued in the patch.
You see the repair before I fine sanded and stained it. You would not be able to see it clearly if I had tried to shown it when done..

You can also fill a chip with superglue. Just sand the wood and let the wood dust fill the chip. Add superglue and let harden. Do this a few times until the chip is filled. Perfect color match!

This wood dust superglue mix will sand and take BLO just like the rest of the wood.

Good luck.

Last Edited:
Your right Bolus. Sometimes it's better to replace a cheaper piece of wood.

But if you cant then it's good to know how to fix it. And the junk is good to learn on.;)

I have more mosin stocks than I have rifles just to practice on. Got a nice looking mosin stock at H&K gunshop on friday for $15.

That guy is funny. I asked "how much for the mosin stock" and he said "I dont have any mosin stocks" even though Im looking at one. "Huh, A mosin stock, didnt even know that was there, how about $15" And it is about 1000 times better shape than the ones I got in the mail.

It was in a pile of other stocks I didnt recognize but they looked all like old milsurp stuff.

Then he comes out of the back with the Finnish Mosin that he forgot about that has been back there for probably 20 years.

Your right. There is still a lot of cheep milsurp wood out there. WWII was a big one! :s0108:

That's funny. The guy didn't know what he had. Sounds about right. :s0140:

Sometimes I think I should buy up as much old G.I. wood as I can. Winchester stuff to! You know there will be a day the prices get stupid! Of course I probably wont live to see it.

It's already there for the U.S. milsurp. And it takes some of the fun out of it.
Heck. Who would have thought someday a Garand would cost a grand?

It's OK though. I will just scrounge around making pig's ears into the best silk purses I can.:s0139:

In the late 1960's G.I. Joes had a big tent at the original location next to the Meadows horse racing track.
You could buy all the milsurp semi-auto M1 carbines you wanted out of a barrel for only $19.99 bucks.
Mags were darn near free.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top