JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It's been said the Germans created a hunting rifle, the Americans created a target rifle and the brits created a battle rifle. I believe that there is a lot of truth in this.

as for 7.92 Mauser, I have some WW2 surplus I shoot in my M24 that is very hot, equal to 30-06 or 54R
but most modern 7.92 has been downgraded and is no better than .30-30
By "most modern" 8mm, it has been down-loaded, by US ammunition company policy- out of fear of it being used in old 88 Commission rifles with the .318 bore. That "soft" ammo worked well enuff in the deer woods of northern Michigan in my long-ago youth. However, more recently surplus 7.92x57 has come into the country from various east Euro countries, that stuff is HOT 198 gr bullets at @ 2500fps.. and Sellier&Bellot sells full-power hunting ammo which I use and it's kickbutt down range. I hear that PriviPartisan stuff out of the former Yugoslavia takes no prisoners either. If you want to give your Mauser the screamin mimi's get some of the old stinky Turkish ammo for your shooting pleasure:eek:...

Last Edited:
By "most modern" 8mm, it has been down-loaded, by US ammunition company policy- out of fear of it being used in old 88 Commission rifles with the .318 bore. That "soft" ammo worked well enuff in the deer woods of northern Michigan in my long-ago youth. However, more recently surplus 7.92x57 has come into the country from various east Euro countries, that stuff is HOT 198 gr bullets at @ 2500fps.. and Sellier&Bellot sells full-power hunting ammo which I use and it's kickbutt down range. I hear that PriviPartisan stuff out of the former Yugoslavia takes no prisoners either. If you want to give your Mauser the screamin mimi's get some of the old stinky Turkish ammo for your shooting pleasure:eek:...
yup, have some of that Turkish military ammo
to me, shooting Turkish ammo in the Mauser kicks more than a Mosin shooting 174 gn Brown Bear
just have to scrub down with Ballistol after shooting

have some Yugo M75 ammo that also hot

Without watching the video, I'd ask what are the qualifiers for best? How many were killed with it? Maximum effective range? Ease of production? Many, many things can affect how "good" a given cartridge is, some of which are the person behind the rifle and I would wager an excellent rifleman with a poor cartridge would outshoot a poor rifleman with an excellent cartridge
Don't forget rate of fire with the M1 '06. That was a big advantage for us, and a risk. At first there was a lot of doubt that a semi auto could hold up in combat conditions. Guess it did ok.

It's been said the Germans created a hunting rifle, the Americans created a target rifle and the brits created a battle rifle. I believe that there is a lot of truth in this.
And the Tsarist Russians created a... well, I'll just leave the rest to your own thoughts. Mine SHOOT well enuff, and the 7.62x54 round is up there with any other of it's time frame... BUT... good god, what a user unfriendly safety! And the trigger-pull is something to the left of Lenin... I imagine that if I had to march across Siberia like the Czech Legion did, it would do well enuff for the most part... and the bayonet would make do for a rotisserie in a pinch..

Let's face it, even though it saw little to no combat, 6.5x55 Swede is still one of the most soft shooting and nasty accurate cartridges around. Hell, an M96 or 38 with a decent barrel and military ball ammo will still hang with most rifles today.

the Fin M28 is a fine example of a Mosin, your lucky to own one

View attachment 1256310
While we are on the subject of mosins, trying to get an idea of how many PnamB 91/30s are in the states. They are all original 90-95% condition rifles originally issued to the Russian version of OCS. We have one with the matching number bayonet. Old J&G sales score from back in the day. Any other info or import numbers to help determine value and history would help. Estimates I have found as of right now are less than one thousand imported but can't verify.

Let's face it, even though it saw little to no combat, 6.5x55 Swede is still one of the most soft shooting and nasty accurate cartridges around. Hell, an M96 or 38 with a decent barrel and military ball ammo will still hang with most rifles today.
I have to admit, tho it isnt the favorite Mauser in my collection, (that would be my Dad's K98k ww2 bring-back), my 1911 M96 is certainly my favorite SHOOTING Mauser. The Swede 6.5X55 has a hunting record second to none. Polar bear, elk, moose have all fallen to the little 6.5 over the last century+... I originally bought mine for hunting the northern New Mexico mtns. It is still original, with the original sling, and I've resisted the suggestion that it be sporterised, believing that it would be bad karma (or something) to butcher it, seeing that it is a very nice example of the original Swede issue. Picked up a case of ammo for it when I got it, so it should last me the rest of my days on this Earth...

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top