JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Today I've been cleaning up the Chinese Type 53 (Mosin M44 analog) that I got off Gunbroker last week. I noticed a crack in the handguard that seemed to have been glued back together, as soon as I started heating it up to get the cosmoline sweated out the glue failed and it split back into two pieces. The temp was around 100 degrees, which seems pretty low for glue failure to me. I have some epoxy, but it starts to soften a bit above 100 degrees, so I'd like to use something with a higher temp rating. Any ideas?

NCM_0040_zps0bdd668d.jpg

Titebond 3 (Lowes) for the actual mend, with a fiberglass layer inside.. you may find Bondohair helpful for the latter, it's used for auto body repair

Woodworker here... it's my new biz. PM me if you need help

yep a "crazy" type glue. I've repaired many a broken "toe" and other cracks with it. not sure if the 401 is still available, but there are still versions around for porous surfaces. the repair turns out stronger than the stock

Getting any adhesive to stick on an oily surface is the biggest obstacle.
Treat the broken edges with acetone or some other oil removing solvent before applying the glue.

Getting any adhesive to stick on an oily surface is the biggest obstacle.
Treat the broken edges with acetone or some other oil removing solvent before applying the glue.

Liberally.. and then apply the glue immediately before oils can migrate into the surface

If you Gorilla glue that and clamp it tight, and let set over-night, it will not break there again. You might break it somewhere else, but not there.

If you Gorilla glue that and clamp it tight, and let set over-night, it will not break there again. You might break it somewhere else, but not there.

Problem with Gorilla Glue is it foams all over the place and may mar the exterior finish (not sure if that matters to the OP)

And to modeler, sand the existing glue off, first

Problem with Gorilla Glue is it foams all over the place and may mar the exterior finish (not sure if that matters to the OP)

And to modeler, sand the existing glue off, first
Gorilla glue does foam, but it is easy to clean if you do it before it totally sets. And nomatter what you glue it with your going to have to touch it up anyway. Just saying I have used gorilla glue on a lot of stuff and there is nothing I have found that comes close. You do have to clamp the pieces tightly together whether you use a vice or wood clamps.

I gotta throw my hat into the titebond 3 ring. I work at a window and door manufacturing plant and we use it to glue up parts on special order products. You have to make sure to use 3 and not just regular titebond, there is a difference.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top