JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello everyone, it's been a long time since I've been on here. I am considering purchasing a Beretta A400 Xcel shotgun 12ga 30" barrel. I can get it for a decent price at the shop where I work. I really like the feel of the gun and the swing. I have always wanted a nice shotgun for shooting clays. I would like to get into shooting competition at my local womens club. Does anyone have any insight on this gun they can offer? Any issues with it if you've shot one. It's still a fair amount of money so I want to invest wisely. Thanks in advance!

Hello there. I've shot one once and it made me consider buying on for the same use as you. Really liked it as far as weight, easy to point, recoil, etc. Do you have anywhere to rent one to try first? They are pretty popular guns so maybe seeing if you can cultivate a connection where you could shoot one first before the investment. Be aware a 30" barrel on that receive sticks a lot of weight pretty far out there. My wife's Syren is a O/U with shorter barrels which she like much better than a longer barrel on a pump or semi-auto. Just something to consider. Hope this helps.

I have an A400 20ga. 28" love it. Has the KickOff ; I would get. 12ga with kick off, try em with and without if you can. Length of pull is not easy to change with the kick off.
Personally I would get a 12 in 28". How far are the clays on the courses you'll be shooting most. At or past 40 yrds. then maybe the 30". Good luck. if ever in mid Willamette valley look up Brooks area North of Salem Mid Valley Sporting Clays.(they have Golf carts) all flat terrain though. They will let you shoot sample guns off the shelf right out the front door at a station.
Over all the Beretta is very fine gun. Fast action.

Thank you for your input! I really appreciate it. I will see if I can get one in 28" barrel. Right now, getting any gun seems to be a challenge! They fly off the shelves. The 12 ga in the store is a 30" and does have the kick off, that seems a pretty sweet addition to the gun. I have shot lots of 12 ga and the kick doesn't bother me really, but reducing the effect won't bother me either!! Not getting younger!! LOL!

Hello there. I've shot one once and it made me consider buying on for the same use as you. Really liked it as far as weight, easy to point, recoil, etc. Do you have anywhere to rent one to try first? They are pretty popular guns so maybe seeing if you can cultivate a connection where you could shoot one first before the investment. Be aware a 30" barrel on that receive sticks a lot of weight pretty far out there. My wife's Syren is a O/U with shorter barrels which she like much better than a longer barrel on a pump or semi-auto. Just something to consider. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. I will definitely look into checking my local range to see if they have one to rent in 28" and to see if I can get one in a 28". Right now getting any guns can be pretty difficult. But I can check with the shop where I work. I only work there in Saturdays but can give them a ring to check the warehouse or the other stores and do a transfer possibly. I have handled this one in the store quite a bit and didn't mind the length with swinging and aiming, but that's not shooting it. I know there's a difference for sure. I appreciate all the help!

I purchased an A400 xtreme plus with the kick off recoil. I was able to get .15 second splits, which is faster than my over under.
The a400 Xtreme plus has the 3.5inch loading gate and the Steelium plus barrel (same as the beretta 694 which has a 14in forcing cone)

MY Limited experience with the Berettas were mostly very positive, however, they all share one VERY irritating problem ( at least for me) and that is the loading ramp is notched and it catches my thumb and has cut me bad enough to need stitches! My buddy who owned that Beretta was quite shocked, but said it never got him, and a few weeks later he called to tell me he got bit by it too! Seemed too nice a shotgun to sell off for such a problem so we took it apart and welded up that notch and never had an issue with it again!
This one was an AL-391 if my memory serves me!

Shot one of these courtesy of the shotgun instructor and now, of course, want one. I've shot both the 12 and 20 gauge and was duly impressed. Added to my never-ending wishlist.
I was also advised to stop at Midway- came highly recommended.

I purchased an A400 xtreme plus with the kick off recoil. I was able to get .15 second splits, which is faster than my over under.
The a400 Xtreme plus has the 3.5inch loading gate and the Steelium plus barrel (same as the beretta 694 which has a 14in forcing cone)

I considered the A400 xtreme plus, but there isn't one available right now and don't know when there will be. I am not in a huge hurry, but I would like to get the purchase started in a relatively reasonable amount of time. My available pricing is also a factor. It's much cheaper than I can find any online store or even a used consignment firearm.

MY Limited experience with the Berettas were mostly very positive, however, they all share one VERY irritating problem ( at least for me) and that is the loading ramp is notched and it catches my thumb and has cut me bad enough to need stitches! My buddy who owned that Beretta was quite shocked, but said it never got him, and a few weeks later he called to tell me he got bit by it too! Seemed too nice a shotgun to sell off for such a problem so we took it apart and welded up that notch and never had an issue with it again!
This one was an AL-391 if my memory serves me!

That is too bad about the loading ramp! I had never heard that complaint before. Not from any customers at the gun store where I work. People's fingers are different and perhaps the way you insert your cartridges makes it more prone to happen. It shouldn't happen, I definitely agree with you. I checked this gun today, and ran my finger and thumb with how I would load it and felt no sharp edges at all. I do appreciate your input regarding this potential pitfall though. I wouldn't want to slice my thumb open.

Shot one of these courtesy of the shotgun instructor and now, of course, want one. I've shot both the 12 and 20 gauge and was duly impressed. Added to my never-ending wishlist.
I was also advised to stop at Midway- came highly recommended.

Thanks so much for the reply. I hear you on the never ending list wishlist. Working at a gun store doesn't make any easier. I can assure you!! LOL. I do keep my purchases limited though until I really want something. I have never had a shotgun of my own. Always shot my husband's Remington 1100, or 870. I am ready to have my own. :)

UPDATE: Well, I went to the local range, which fortunately is only about 2 miles down the road from my main job (not the gun store job). They did not have the shotgun I am interested in to rent and try out, but I had a very good conversation with the shotgun master there. We went over everything I wanted to do with the gun, experience, and such. I did shoot very similar guns in both 28" and 30". He observed and said I handled both well and neither presented a problem length-wise at all. Considering what I want to do with it, he said the 30" is a very good middle of the road length to accomplish everything I want to do which is trap, some skeet, and occasionally some upland game. So, on the way home I took care of business at the gun store and put my deposit on it. I have to wait for some approvals from the district management. Overall, I am very excited!!

I have never heard anything but good about Beretta shotguns, and my own experience aside, I still wouldn't mind having one, likely an A-400.
I got spoiled by Benelli, they hooked me up with a Super Black Eagle to play with and that was a fun ( ugly as sin) scatter gun. Then I traded it for a Super Vinci and never looked back, that gun cannot miss and makes me look like I know what I'm doing! :s0140:
The other one I really loved was the Winchester SX3 super magnum, you want a fast cycling auto, nothing can equal that Winny!

Glad the O.P. has found shotgun nirvana, and not the least bit surprised it's a Beretta! :D

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews