JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Never shot one but some tiny blowback .380's DO kick pretty good.
The 'upside' of the one I shot was the recoil was not bad at all. Much less than I expected.

I still maintain grip is very important - even over that of other considerations. I would much rather carry/shoot my Mod 60 S & W with its hand filling grips over something such as the LCP.

Heck my little Bersa 944 .22 actually has a pretty good grip for it's size. I just don't know why a mfg. would make a gun with a frame so small as the LCP.

IMG_2701.JPG

Last Edited:
I love mine, but as previously mentioned, it is not fun to shoot. I like that I can slip it into a front pocket of my shorts, pants, or a coat pocket without a lot of weight or printing issues. It is not my EDC, but more a backup in my eyes, or just a firearm I can comfortably carry during the summer months. I'd buy it.

I have a Ruger LCP and highly recommend the Hogue grips for it.
Probably would be an improvement. I didn't try it with mine.

When you put those Hogue grips on, install this trigger kit
Yes, I should've mentioned the trigger issue.

I'd like to have that messed up '93 Mauser too.. I like projects, but shes crazy to think it's worth 400. I'd say in its condition... barrel chopped and uncrowned, unfinished "sporterized" stock and painted over rust, about 100 bucks.
Without seeing the gun, sounds like you're right on with this thought. I suppose anything that will shoot is worth $100 these days. I'd much prefer something in 8mm rather than 7.65mm, which an 1893 might still be configured as. I'd much prefer the later 1898, 1903 or 1938. We don't get much choice when something drops in our lap like this. Without knowing model or caliber, with the mods described I don't think it would make any difference in price.

Non-gun people have a couple of general ways they can go in how they view value. (1) Clueless, they might think it's worth the same value as a claw hammer, and (2) They think, "Old Gun," worth a lot of money.

I'll mention a Turkish Mauser I never had and always thought would be interesting to own. The Model 1887, these were chambered in 9,3mm which was the ultimate black powder Mauser development. So up to the minute that it became obsolete almost as soon as the first rifles were delivered and Turkey backed out of the balance of the contract, opting for something in smokeless powder. The M1887 isn't often seen in the US. The M1871 and 71/84 German Army 11mm rifles are far more common.

Like most of us you will hate shooting it, but you can always be armed.
Agreed, it's better than a rock.

The pistol doesn't fit my hand well, but maybe with an extended magazine it would be suitable.
This I did try, it marginally improved the hold for me. But not a lot.

I now own the LCP, its smaller than I remembered. I'll go through the 2 1/2 boxes of ammo this weekend and see how it is.

Shes "traded" the Mauser to the neighbor so.. I'm bummed, I wanted a new project.

I've been too busy with life, but here's a few pics. Though I think its going to become a safe queen.

20210810_124936.jpg 20210810_124954.jpg

Time & practice, It'll decide if this goes into my carry rotation.

I've carried antique revolvers or derringers for so long that anything modern just feels odd to me. I want to be comfortable with something before I may have to rely on it.

I think I'll have time to test it out the weekend after this coming one. I get my wisdom teeth yanked out this Friday evening, so I don't think I'll feel up to this weekend.

I need to order that extended magazine. If it fits my hand I will order the trigger kit as well.

I've had a couple of them. The first gen ones. And I hated the trigger and frankly hated shooting them. But for the right price they are a pocket carry option that's easy to hide.

I've had a couple of them. The first gen ones. And I hated the trigger and frankly hated shooting them. But for the right price they are a pocket carry option that's easy to hide.
Same. They're actually the reason why I have a rule that I can't buy and sell the same make/model of firearm more than twice. Except that I didn't mind shooting them.

It's a good deal. I have one in my pocket if I'm awake. I wouldn't care to get into a gunfight with it but for close quarters it would get the job done. I can't carry a larger gun when I'm working.

It's a good deal. I have one in my pocket if I'm awake. I wouldn't care to get into a gunfight with it but for close quarters it would get the job done. I can't carry a larger gun when I'm working.
When I had that P3AT a lady at a gun store said "What's that for?"
I said "It's how a 50 year old man wins a knife fight."

:)

I have a Ruger LCP and highly recommend the Hogue grips for it. Without the grips, I thought it was very difficult to grasp and unpleasant to shoot. The palm swells of the Hogue made a big difference for me. My little finger still hangs loose but I can grip it well enough to control it. I'll actually shoot mine for fun now.
100% agree. The Hogue grip totally changes the character of the gun. It goes from borderline unshootable, to "not bad, not bad at all". The trigger is also a weak point of the OG LCP with a VERY long pull and a "fake" reset. Maybe they fixed it as I have an early one, but when you release the trigger there is a "click" that you think is a reset, but it isn't. You have to continue to release the trigger almost to the point where you started from, and you will hear/feel another "click" and that is the actual reset.

I can hit a 6" steel plate at 10 yards easily, but wouldn't want to shoot the gun at distances much more than that. It is an "up close and personal" defensive handgun with lousy sights and a lousy trigger, but it weighs next to nothing, disappears in pants pockets and is very reliable. In the summer, I carry it 75% of the time in a pocket holster or Crossbreed appendix holster.

$200 is a great price for the gun.

Buy it...price is great.
Like most of us you will hate shooting it, but you can always be armed.
Fyi...Ruger has just upgraded the Lcp to hold more ammo...at double your price.
The LCP Max does look pretty nice, not just for the 10+ rounds but also the improved sights. Just not ready to shell out $400 for it.

There are two generations of the 'regular' LCP, the Original like tourproto seems to have and the Gen 2, which is the vast majority will have as they produced so many more, they fixed the trigger some and improved the gun. The LCP Custom is a Enhanced Gen 2. it had in addition to normal a skeletonized red trigger with a wider smooth face, a Stainless-Steel guide rod (I thought the regular plastic one worked fine, guess it depends on round count) finally the Custom had great fixed sights with a 'night' dot up front. It is thee best Gen 2 for me.

The LCP II is a new design, with a different action. It can use older LCP magazine, but one of the new design features is forfeit using the od mags, a last round holds open just like the bigger guns. Using an LCP II mag allows this feature to work, and it will hold open. The LCP II has a safety dongle in the trigger and a way better trigger pull IMO.

I have the Hogue Handall sleeves on my Gen 2 Custom and the LCP II and regular and extended magazines work well in both guns (using an LCP II mag in a regular Gen 2 LCP will not result in a 'hold open' it must be paired with an LCP II.)

Last Edited:
I'm normally more of a CZ, HK, Sig type of snob, but I do like the LCP. It is small and light and fits my hands just fine (I wear a men's Large glove). It's not bad to shoot, but as others mentioned it isn't a particularly fun gun to shoot. Especially with the Cor-Bon defense loads I carry. But for small and slim it is a great summer carry gun or backup piece.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top