JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So my father in law has croaked, his gf wants to sell his guns. Theres a "400 hundred dollar" Turkish Mauser that's sporterized with a hacksaw and painted with a crinkle black paint....

but theres a very nice Ruger LCP that's got all the bells an whistles, pocket holster, extra mag, even 2 1/2 boxes of ammo, she wants 200 for it, so... I'd have 230 into it with the transfer fees.

I collect ancient guns, mostly early cartridge era. But I can't carry a 120-ish year old .41rf derringer forever. A plastic gun like this could make a decent (I dont give a dam about it) EDC pistol.

I hate to spend money on a plastic gun, but I can justify it by saying it's a tool and that's that. My blued and nickeled babies can stay in the safe and this can take the daily wear.

What do ya'll think, should I step into the 21st century?

20210728_140632.jpg 20210728_140608.jpg

In today's pricing 200 is a good deal. Those little lcps mealy away in a pocket or similar holster.

I found them to be very uncomfortable to shoot. So you either practice a lot before using it to make sure you can hit something, or don't practice at all so the first shot fired won't discourage you from using it further.

It's none of my business, but is late father-in-law's girlfriend legally entitled to sell his guns? The reason I mention this, your purchase could be subject to being questioned later. Unless the girlfriend is on the will as executor (not usual); a family member would be more common. Someone like your wife, for example.

Gmerkt, I hadn't thought about the legality of it. As far as I know he was broke and had no will, just a live in gf. He had 3 daughters, the other 2 are Japanese citizens and thus cant own guns, I'm with the one that was born in the U.S.

The pistol doesn't fit my hand well, but maybe with an extended magazine it would be suitable.

I carried a Kel-Tec P3AT for years. The LCP is largely a copy of that. Two things that made shooting it more comfortable for me: Grip it very tightly and install magazine extensions. This may not help if you have exceptionally large hands.

I found them to be very uncomfortable to shoot.
I shot one of these for the first time just last Sunday.

The grip was so short it was literally uncontrollable. There was nothing in the 'heel' of my hand and it felt like only my thumb and forefinger were holding it.

This is a case of a gun that is simply too small to shoot properly - even in .380.

if ya cant hold it and grip it properly then it is mostly useless.

This is the same gun I mentioned in another thread where it 'jumped' out of the owners hand when she was clearing it and it hit the floor of the motorhome we were sitting in. (no mag or ammo in the pipe)

There just ain't enough to hold on to.

I shot one of these for the first time just last Sunday.

The grip was so short it was literally uncontrollable. There was nothing in the 'heel' of my hand and it felt like only my thumb and forefinger were holding it.

This is a case of a gun that is simply too small to shoot properly - even in .380.

if ya cant hold it and grip it properly then it is mostly useless.
This is where the magazine extensions will help. In the P3AT I think it only added one round, but it got all of my fingers on the gun, which made a huge difference.

I have a Ruger LCP and highly recommend the Hogue grips for it. Without the grips, I thought it was very difficult to grasp and unpleasant to shoot. The palm swells of the Hogue made a big difference for me. My little finger still hangs loose but I can grip it well enough to control it. I'll actually shoot mine for fun now.

Never shot one but some tiny blowback .380's DO kick pretty good.
With that said, I recently took the extension off of my 7-shot Ruger ec9s carry magazine, installing the flat one for ease of pocket carry.
It's now a two finger gun with that magazine but still shoots like a dream. Soft recoil, perfect sights (fixed black target picture) and killer trigger.

If it was you FIL's, isn't a transfer not needed? Since he's you know... your wife's direct blood relative? GREAT pistol and $230 is certainly a good deal. I wouldn't turn it down

My P3AT wants to roll in my hand if I forget to squeeze the bubblegum out of it. I shoot it enough to shoot center mass kill shots at 7 yds. I only keep it as my summer carry or dash to the store gun as I want one with me and honestly its just so easy to deep conceal in a pair of pants and t-shirt. That said I take more gun if Im going into areas where I think caution is needed. Family transfer so 200 bucks. If you hate it, sell it here and pass it on to a NWFA participant. I don't mind the pocket pistol but I have small hands so I can get two full fingers without the extension. they will sand your palms with the grips if you don't grip it though. goes bang every time and with todays ammo lethal enough in a phone booth!

After reading up on inheritance law, it seems that if it's a pistol and goes to a direct blood relative you have to have it legally transferred or you can notify the department of licensing (within 60 days of posession) of the change of ownership.

So... it would be my wife calling the DOL then and just saying it's now in her posession.

I'm bored (I want a new toy), for 200 bucks I'll be bringing it home.

I'd like to have that messed up '93 Mauser too.. I like projects, but shes crazy to think it's worth 400. I'd say in its condition... barrel chopped and uncrowned, unfinished "sporterized" stock and painted over rust, about 100 bucks.

Last Edited:
I think you could offer her less than she's asking once she realizes the headache it would be to try and sell it to anyone else. And if she thought she could take it to a pawnshop, she'd get $100 for it, maybe.

I have carried a lcp gen 1 for almost 8 years. I've warn out two galco pocket holsters. I prob have 1500 rounds threw it. It's not uncomfortable for me. I am happy with it and accurate with it to 40yards. Pie plate when I try hard. For a pocket gun it's great. But… with all guns. I find it picks up lint easily. So does the extra mags. If you just drop them in your pocket. I don't run it with any lube. Mine is dry with graphite after it's cleaned. Or it picks up lint fast. I'll prob never sell mine. It's my old friend

Good price these days for that LCP; grab it.

The LCP is almost the same size as an LCP2 (my hot weather EDC) which I've found easy to carry & conceal. I second the earlier recommendation to do a trigger upgrade (it's why I shelled out a little more for an LCP2 instead of getting an LCP). Also, definitely get a Hogue grip sleeve.

I quickly learned that my LCP2 is never going to be loads of fun at the range, but extended mags allow a solid hold on it, and the grip sleeve takes some sting out of the recoil. That combo gives me enough control for surprisingly good accuracy out to 7 yards, and even keep 'em all on the paper 20 yards out ;) Staying real, the gun is light & the recoil is sharp, so 25 rounds per range session is all the fun I can stand.

I've found two holsters for my LCP2 that are comfortable and conceal well. One is a Versacarry Rapid Slide Micro (OWB) w/mag pouch. The other is a DeSantis Superfly for pocket carry.

I own an LCP. It shoots fine for me. Recoil is very manageable. Everyone's hands and grip are different so like every other gun, you will have to shoot it to see if it works for you. While they do make extended magazines, the 7 rounders still don't give room for your pinky and the 10 rounders make it an odd pocket gun (if that's what your using it for). It's shootable for me with a two finger grip.

And that mouser is overpriced. I've seen sporterized mousers like that for $200-250, even during the pandemic. If the work was done professionally then may $400.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top