JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok, I have been sporting a beard for awhile and it was all one length.

Now I've got a longer goatee with a shorter beard (I wanted a change lol).

My issue is that my grey and white hair is all on my chin and it's unruly as can be.

I've spent the last month combing it and have got it better but not great - it still has that wild mountain man look to it:D.

Looking online tells me to use a beard wax or balm etc. It seems pretty straightforward - wet beard, rub some of the wax on the beard and comb thru.

I'm only looking to tame the chin and not looking for a hard wax to curl my mustache or anything. There are a ton of options online and was wondering if anyone had a recomendation.

All of them seem reasonable for about $8 and it seem to mostly be about the ingredients and smell.

Thanks!

I just use ketchup mixed with whatever else falls off my hamburger except in summer when I use the butter that drips off my ear of corn or sometimes watermelon juice?!?!?!?

Sheldon

Seriously Joe13 I recommend a Beard Oil combed through just after a shower, give it a few weeks and you will be a happy camper. I have had really great results with Portland Beard Company's products and I order twice yearly from them, and they make great products that really work, and your supporting a local company! In the past I have used Jack Black Beard Oil, Kiehl's Beard Lube, and Billy Jealousy brand, and they all work good, but the smell of some of them take some getting used to.
Portland Beard Company - Rethinking-the way you take care of your Beard

Seriously Joe13 I recommend a Beard Oil combed through just after a shower, give it a few weeks and you will be a happy camper. I have had really great results with Portland Beard Company's products and I order twice yearly from them, and they make great products that really work, and your supporting a local company! In the past I have used Jack Black Beard Oil, Kiehl's Beard Lube, and Billy Jealousy brand, and they all work good, but the smell of some of them take some getting used to.
Portland Beard Company - Rethinking-the way you take care of your Beard

Awesome, thanks man!

Ok, I have been sporting a beard for awhile and it was all one length.

Now I've got a longer goatee with a shorter beard (I wanted a change lol).

My issue is that my grey and white hair is all on my chin and it's unruly as can be.

I've spent the last month combing it and have got it better but not great - it still has that wild mountain man look to it:D.

Looking online tells me to use a beard wax or balm etc. It seems pretty straightforward - wet beard, rub some of the wax on the beard and comb thru.

I'm only looking to tame the chin and not looking for a hard wax to curl my mustache or anything. There are a ton of options online and was wondering if anyone had a recomendation.

All of them seem reasonable for about $8 and it seem to mostly be about the ingredients and smell.

Thanks!
That crap doesn't work for me. Time. More time.

DO NOT use a wax, that makes things more bristly, use oil. Trust me!!!

The wife brought home a balm she got from a whole sale supply store and I tried just a little to see if it helped any and it actually did a lot to control the twangers. Doesn't really smell much and is meant for dry beards.

I have another interview tomorrow and didn't want to shave off my progress so I think this will get me thru tomorrow then I'll take your advice and get the Portland oil as soon as I can.

I have been wanting to use something. My beard isn't the problem so much as my skin under it. My skin gets really dry and flaky. I tried using some coconut oil but it made me break out.

I have been using regular hair conditioner in the shower and it helps make it soft, but not as much for my skin.

I've used oil in the past. Too oily if I use it in the morning. Now I use Johnny B's beard balm. Barber friend turned me on to it. 17ish on Amazon prime. One tin will last a while. No flaky skin and no pig bristles when I use it.

I use conditioner on the beard too.

I've worn a full beard most of my adult life. It has ranged in length from pretty full but not overly long, to down to my chest, now it being on the shorter side. The thickness is, how do I put this, "werewolf grade". Though I've tried a few over the years, I never had any luck with the beard oil stuff. So I just wash it, comb it, trim when needed, and condition when conditioning the noggin hair. Good enough.

That said, I have not tried the oil from the Portland company referenced above. It may be worth a spin.

I have been wanting to use something. My beard isn't the problem so much as my skin under it. My skin gets really dry and flaky. I tried using some coconut oil but it made me break out.

I have been using regular hair conditioner in the shower and it helps make it soft, but not as much for my skin.

Give the Jack Black beard shaving gel/beard lube a shot, I cocktail this with my shaving soap and it really helps smooth the skin and moisturizes. For dry or itchy, try lemon grass oil and aloe and a little vinegar mixed in with your after shave!

Been wearing a full beard since 1988 when I found out my bride to be liked a beard.
Being a lazy slob who hated to spend money on razor blades, I promptly grew my face brush. In the summer I keep it around an inch or so, but let it go wild in the winter, until I get the hint to trim it. Ahem!
All I've ever done is wash it with Selsun Blue to keep my chin dander down, which also keeps it soft. I never use a comb for grooming but use a brush, and the same one I use on my head I use on my beard to keep it shaped nicely, doesn't do much right after I cut it but after a week or so it does just fine, I do it right after washing my face in the morning while my beard is still damp, and that does it for me.
If I needed oil I'd just use a little of my Vitalis hair oil, and that's it
Damp hair is trainable hair, while dry hair isn't!

Now can we get back to guns and shooting and such stuff?

I use Honest Amish beard balm every couple days. Use Detroit beard oil about once a week. I wash my beard every other day.

Brush and comb for training it to grow a certain way. Beard balm to maintain good healthy hair follicles.

Washing too much robs your face of sebum.
My beard is pretty soft and not too unruly.

Whether this is what should be done I'm not sure. It works for me.

I tend to research too much so I bought that stuff based one what the internet told me I needed. I'm pretty sure my dads big badass beard grew just fine in the 70's without all that...

Since I don't recall ever shaving with a razor...

Wife got me some beard oil but it smells funny- even though it's unscented. If I use it a few days in a row it does make my mane glisten in the sun.

I just wish it came in a spray bottle not an eye dropper bottle. That would benefit the long in the beard folks like me better.

The wife brought home a balm she got from a whole sale supply store and I tried just a little to see if it helped any and it actually did a lot to control the twangers. Doesn't really smell much and is meant for dry beards.

I have another interview tomorrow and didn't want to shave off my progress so I think this will get me thru tomorrow then I'll take your advice and get the Portland oil as soon as I can.

If the interview is for a job in Portland wear the skinny/high water jeans, they dig those here. :rolleyes:

Never thunk about it. I've had a beard of one shape or another since 1973 when I got out of high school. I don't do a thing with it. Comb it sometimes. Let it get to looking like Uncle Si sometimes. What ever. When I've got it long during the holidays I get some stares from the kids.

I should have figured though that PDX would have shops JUST for beard maintenance supplies?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top