JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a Remington Model 700 Mountain Rifle in .280 Remington--it was given to me many years ago by my father. It was manufactured in the 1980's--I have tried to look up the twist rate on the barrel, but I find conflicting information. I know the new ones are 1/10, but I heard the older ones were around 1:9-1:9.25. Does any of you knowledgeable folks have any idea what it would be from that time period? Thank you in advance.

I have a Remington Model 700 Mountain Rifle in .280 Remington--it was given to me many years ago by my father. It was manufactured in the 1980's--I have tried to look up the twist rate on the barrel, but I find conflicting information. I know the new ones are 1/10, but I heard the older ones were around 1:9-1:9.25. Does any of you knowledgeable folks have any idea what it would be from that time period? Thank you in advance.
You can check it with a cleaning rod, jag, patch and Sharpie.
Get the patch started in the bore.
With the Sharpie mark starting point and then mark top dead center about 12" back.
Start pushing the patch and watch for your TDC mark to come back around (up).
Now mark stopping point and finish pushing the patch through.
Measure the distance between start and stop points.
Voila ! You now know your twist rate.

You can check it with a cleaning rod, jag, patch and Sharpie.
Get the patch started in the bore.
With the Sharpie mark starting point and then mark top dead center about 12" back.
Start pushing the patch and watch for your TDC mark to come back around (up).
Now mark stopping point and finish pushing the patch through.
Measure the distance between start and stop points.
Voila ! You now know your twist rate.
Thank you—I will have to try that. I appreciate it

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews