Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Barrel to Cylinder gap?

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by rpatton, Feb 11, 2010.

1. rpatton

rpatton Graham WA Member

So, I had to play with my new barrel wrench that I got for my Dan Wesson .357 and like a dummy I forgot to take a measurement between the cylinder and barrel. I realized this when I went to put it back together and remembered seeing that there are specifications about how far this gap is supposed to be. I don't have a manual that tells this so here I am asking.

I have automotive feeler gages so I really just need the correct number though if anyone feels like discussing the problems with too large or too little of a gap in this thread that would be cool also.

Thanks in advance.
    Ron

2. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

3. Boats

Boats Flicking A Switch To Open My Third Eye Well-Known Member

An "in spec" gap for most .38 Spec/.357 Magnum revolvers regardless of make is between .003 and .008, but I won't buy a revolver that doesn't shim out between .004 and .006 because tighter than .004 is prone to fouling after a long string of fire and cause the cylinder to be sticky and .008 and greater is wasting gas.

4. rpatton

rpatton Graham WA Member

You are correct though I have a small frame DW (my fault for not clarifying in the original post) but I used the URL you posted, chopped off the extentions to get to the home page and tracked down the right manual (that guy Steve has a lot of firearm manuals posted)

I've already corrected the gap and even though I issued thanks in advance, I'm going to say thanks again.

Ron

5. warnerwh

warnerwh Portland, OR Member

The best knowledge base is: http://www.danwessonforum.com/
    Friendly bunch of people. They have been gathering all the information on Dan Wesson revolvers they can get their hands on for years. Btw the shims that come new with the guns are .006 for both size frame guns. I set mine at .004.

6. barrigadaharley

barrigadaharley hillsboro Active Member

7. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder Ardenwald, OR Well-Known Member

Barrel gap for the DW is not set by frame size, it is set by caliber.
    .357 magnum is .006, you can as tight as .004 or even tighter if you have zero runout on the face of the cylinder.

The DW .357 Super Mag is .002, if you run it looser than that you well encounter flame cutting of the top strap.