JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I had to play with my new barrel wrench that I got for my Dan Wesson .357 and like a dummy I forgot to take a measurement between the cylinder and barrel. I realized this when I went to put it back together and remembered seeing that there are specifications about how far this gap is supposed to be. I don't have a manual that tells this so here I am asking.

I have automotive feeler gages so I really just need the correct number though if anyone feels like discussing the problems with too large or too little of a gap in this thread that would be cool also.

Thanks in advance.
Ron

An "in spec" gap for most .38 Spec/.357 Magnum revolvers regardless of make is between .003 and .008, but I won't buy a revolver that doesn't shim out between .004 and .006 because tighter than .004 is prone to fouling after a long string of fire and cause the cylinder to be sticky and .008 and greater is wasting gas.

http://www.stevespages.com/pdf/danwesson_large-frame.pdf

I believe the gap should be .006". Here's the link to the manual...

You are correct though I have a small frame DW (my fault for not clarifying in the original post) but I used the URL you posted, chopped off the extentions to get to the home page and tracked down the right manual (that guy Steve has a lot of firearm manuals posted)

I've already corrected the gap and even though I issued thanks in advance, I'm going to say thanks again.

Ron

Barrel gap for the DW is not set by frame size, it is set by caliber.
.357 magnum is .006, you can as tight as .004 or even tighter if you have zero runout on the face of the cylinder.

The DW .357 Super Mag is .002, if you run it looser than that you well encounter flame cutting of the top strap.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top