JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Vancouver council snuffs out fireworks (http://www.columbian.com/news/2015/oct/05/vancouver-council-snuffs-out-fireworks/)

This coming July 4 will be the last time residents can legally shoot off personal fireworks in Vancouver.

On Monday, the Vancouver City Council unanimously voted to ban personal fireworks sales and use within city limits. The new law will be in effect starting in 2017 because, under state law, any changes in fireworks regulations require 365 days' notice.

"It's probably the toughest decision I've made on the city council in 12 years," Councilor Larry Smith said. "Things change. This is not the city of 20 years ago. … I think the time has come to make a tough decision in the name of safety and our community."

A dozen people spoke at the council's public hearing before the vote, and their stance on fireworks was split down the middle.

Fireworks advocates argued that the council should allow some manner of fireworks, or at least hold a public advisory vote.

"Even if you hate fireworks, we're talking one day, the Fourth of July," said Gene Marlow, who works at fireworks stands to fund the Fort Vancouver fireworks show. "A week was too much. We get that. We think you should enforce and fine those people. …Curb that, keep it to the Fourth of July."

Michael Wilson talked about how fireworks stands were a big fundraiser for his Elks club.

"If the people in Vancouver did not want fireworks, they would not buy them," he said.

Aaron Wampach, who estimated his family's fireworks stands earn nearly $1 million each year, suggested the stands set aside a certain amount of money to pay for property damage due to fireworks. His father, John Wampach, told the council that he wasn't concerned about profits — he was concerned about losing individual freedoms. What was next? Perhaps the city would ban people from walking dogs down the street, he said.

Starr Durand said when she moved from Ohio to Vancouver, she was shocked and terrified by her neighbors' fireworks at first. Now, it's her favorite time of year.

"It was fun. It was clean. To my surprise, there was always responsible and safe use," she said.

'Out of control'
But the fireworks opponents didn't see it that way.

"It's completely out of control," said Alan Fraser. "Four o'clock in the morning and you're in bed and they're blowing them off. … I am sick and tired of it."

Advocating for a ban, Sam Bateman asked whether fireworks proponents cared that fireworks have burned down homes and that people are afraid.

"Is it really worth it, guys?" Bateman asked. "Do you not care about the trauma you cause? … Compassion does not seem to be in your vocabulary — only money."

Councilor Jack Burkman noted that of the 12 largest cities in Washington, only Vancouver and Kent still allow personal fireworks. He said he's sympathetic to nonprofits but advised them to talk to their sister organizations in towns that have fireworks bans to see how they raise money.

Even with a personal fireworks ban, the public still could apply for a special city permit to hold a fireworks show, Councilor Anne McEnerny-Ogle said.

In 2012, the council restricted the use of fireworks to July 4 only and limited the days fireworks could be sold to July 2, 3 and 4. Fireworks are not allowed on New Year's Eve in city limits. Fireworks rules vary in other Clark County jurisdictions.

Mayor Tim Leavitt said people who want to shoot off fireworks can go into the county, where they're legal, or other places that allow them. Otherwise, come to the Fort Vancouver fireworks show, he said.

Fort Vancouver's annual Independence Day fireworks display will find a way to continue without revenue from the sale of personal fireworks at city fireworks-stands, Fort Vancouver National Trust officials said in August. This year, the eight stands in the city generated $88,137 toward the 20-minute fireworks show and day of family activities, which cost $318,000, said Cara Cantonwine, director of programs.

This year, the city spent $107,000 on firefighter overtime staffing between June 28 and July 5, when fireworks caused four structure fires, one vehicle fire and 14 landscaping and brush fires, for a total of 19 fires. This year's property loss due to fireworks was roughly $574,000 in Vancouver city limits and $250,500 in the rest of Clark County.

What will our "Keepers" ban next?

Vancouver council snuffs out fireworks (http://www.columbian.com/news/2015/oct/05/vancouver-council-snuffs-out-fireworks/)

This coming July 4 will be the last time residents can legally shoot off personal fireworks in Vancouver.

On Monday, the Vancouver City Council unanimously voted to ban personal fireworks sales and use within city limits. The new law will be in effect starting in 2017 because, under state law, any changes in fireworks regulations require 365 days' notice.

"It's probably the toughest decision I've made on the city council in 12 years," Councilor Larry Smith said. "Things change. This is not the city of 20 years ago. … I think the time has come to make a tough decision in the name of safety and our community."

A dozen people spoke at the council's public hearing before the vote, and their stance on fireworks was split down the middle.

Fireworks advocates argued that the council should allow some manner of fireworks, or at least hold a public advisory vote.

"Even if you hate fireworks, we're talking one day, the Fourth of July," said Gene Marlow, who works at fireworks stands to fund the Fort Vancouver fireworks show. "A week was too much. We get that. We think you should enforce and fine those people. …Curb that, keep it to the Fourth of July."

Michael Wilson talked about how fireworks stands were a big fundraiser for his Elks club.

"If the people in Vancouver did not want fireworks, they would not buy them," he said.

Aaron Wampach, who estimated his family's fireworks stands earn nearly $1 million each year, suggested the stands set aside a certain amount of money to pay for property damage due to fireworks. His father, John Wampach, told the council that he wasn't concerned about profits — he was concerned about losing individual freedoms. What was next? Perhaps the city would ban people from walking dogs down the street, he said.

Starr Durand said when she moved from Ohio to Vancouver, she was shocked and terrified by her neighbors' fireworks at first. Now, it's her favorite time of year.

"It was fun. It was clean. To my surprise, there was always responsible and safe use," she said.

'Out of control'
But the fireworks opponents didn't see it that way.

"It's completely out of control," said Alan Fraser. "Four o'clock in the morning and you're in bed and they're blowing them off. … I am sick and tired of it."

Advocating for a ban, Sam Bateman asked whether fireworks proponents cared that fireworks have burned down homes and that people are afraid.

"Is it really worth it, guys?" Bateman asked. "Do you not care about the trauma you cause? … Compassion does not seem to be in your vocabulary — only money."

Councilor Jack Burkman noted that of the 12 largest cities in Washington, only Vancouver and Kent still allow personal fireworks. He said he's sympathetic to nonprofits but advised them to talk to their sister organizations in towns that have fireworks bans to see how they raise money.

Even with a personal fireworks ban, the public still could apply for a special city permit to hold a fireworks show, Councilor Anne McEnerny-Ogle said.

In 2012, the council restricted the use of fireworks to July 4 only and limited the days fireworks could be sold to July 2, 3 and 4. Fireworks are not allowed on New Year's Eve in city limits. Fireworks rules vary in other Clark County jurisdictions.

Mayor Tim Leavitt said people who want to shoot off fireworks can go into the county, where they're legal, or other places that allow them. Otherwise, come to the Fort Vancouver fireworks show, he said.

Fort Vancouver's annual Independence Day fireworks display will find a way to continue without revenue from the sale of personal fireworks at city fireworks-stands, Fort Vancouver National Trust officials said in August. This year, the eight stands in the city generated $88,137 toward the 20-minute fireworks show and day of family activities, which cost $318,000, said Cara Cantonwine, director of programs.

This year, the city spent $107,000 on firefighter overtime staffing between June 28 and July 5, when fireworks caused four structure fires, one vehicle fire and 14 landscaping and brush fires, for a total of 19 fires. This year's property loss due to fireworks was roughly $574,000 in Vancouver city limits and $250,500 in the rest of Clark County.

What will our "Keepers" ban next?

I know multiple non-profit, scout troups and churches who use that one single source of income too fund much or all of thier volunteer programs and trips. That's sad news for them unfortunately.

Also, the City of Vancouver has to be loosing MASSIVE amounts of Tax revenues not only from residents but also from all the Oregonians who cross the border for decent fireworks.

I live a couple miles north of city limits so screw them and the tents in my area will go from awkwardly busy to stupid busy next year.

Punish the stupid and stop taking everyone's toys away because some people are too stupid to use them correctly...

As I recall, Beaverton had (maybe still has) a ban. Strangely, on days like July 4, there were an awful lot of scofflaws out there setting off fireworks. Our whole neighborhood went crazy, setting off some pretty impressive rockets too. We never saw a cop drive by although it was quite obvious where they were coming from.

It's appropriate that governments ban fireworks, so that people may flout the ban. No fun if it's legal.

Of course there is room for common sense. I saw a fire started in the Cascades on one July 4 when the conditions were very dry. That cost some money to put out.

When I was stationed in Hawaii, I recall there being so much smoke from fireworks that driving home, you could only see one or two stripes in the centerline at a time. About a 5mph drive. Those Hawaiians sure like their fireworks.

I know multiple non-profit, scout troups and churches who use that one single source of income too fund much or all of their volunteer programs and trips. That's sad news for them unfortunately.

Yeah...."Tough luck, screw 'em!".....Over heard at a Vancouver city council meeting.

This is ridiculous and won't stop fireworks.
I get just as irritated with late night fireworks, but it's what makes America great.

Just another way they are destroying this country.

Now we have to go to the city owned fireworks junk with a million white trash. F that.

The Vancouver city council are inbred morons and that's all I have to say about that.

Though I do have to say that council woman Alisha Topper is a mighty fine looking piece of woman flesh.

Even if she is a liberal demoncrat.

Well...it's time for bed...4 bourbon's, 3 beers, 2 cigars and a half a rack of ribs......

"nite y'all

Starr Durand said when she moved from Ohio to Vancouver, she was shocked and terrified by her neighbors' fireworks at first.

At first I thought maybe she was related to that guy that got a bruised shoulder and PTSD from shooting an AR.

Now, it's her favorite time of year.

Nope, I guess not. Too bad he didn't react this way.

I can't believe people are traumatized by fireworks, or upset at the noise. C'mon people, we're talking one night a year.

Fireworks!?! Pfft... way too dangerous and scary. Plus I might possibly be slightly inconvenienced in some trivial way. Besides, its not like it means anything anymore. It's just a celebration of our independence from an oppressive, unrepresentative rulership. Not like the fabulous system of .gov we have now, that would never unjustly restrict liberty for an empty promise of safety.

A large number of people setting off fireworks are inbred morons and that's all I have to say about that.

Fixed it for you, just to show the OTHER side of the truth!

4th of July had always been a huge party for me. I remember (most of) one year looking over my small realm, (driveway/carport/lawn) and counting 45 people, PLUS a dozen or so kids. We pot-lucked it but I'd buy and cook teriyaki chicken thighs for everyone. We always shut down by midnight. Portland police came by one time at about 11:00pm and just told us to move the poly cone out of the road, didn't seem to care about the fire works. Our lot was 50' X 200' and we'd have a dozen tents there in the morning. Some rough bar conditions but there was always someone clear headed enough to fire up the Coleman Stove on the driveway and cook breakfast. After that the kids would grab buckets, brooms and shovels and get to the clean-up. Damned good times!

It really has come down to the people with no common sense, parents never taught them? Had no father in the house growing up? Don't know. I have the f'ing morons around me that BLOW something up after things are done around me, then at 1:00-2:00-THREE freaking AM, BOOOM!

Now days I just drag a chair two doors over and sit on the lawn and watch the neighbors do their thing, and in the morning grab a bucket, broom and shovel to clean up the mess.

We lost our dog that was absolutely terrified of fireworks a few months ago so this will be the first year without her in a decade. Always had to sedate her and she was even still traumatized. She wouldn't even leave the house after dusk for the rest of the summer.

I do and will miss that little dog but it will make for a different night for us I think. My other dog is uncomfortable around them but not horrified. Maybe he will stay calmer this year without the other one.

So I feel the pain of dogs and their owners when they react poorly to the 4th.

My house sits higher then 99% of the houses in our area and it's heavily populated urban neighborhoods, so we can see fireworks in every direction and no way to see them all or you'd break your neck by the end of the night. It reminds me of what it would be like in the middle of an artillery war.

Last year was the first time it was just my wife and I. Normally the other neighbors set up to watch our show (cuz Linking mortars and fountains and sparklers together is a lot of fun - all on a portable launchpad that tilts to account for wind;)).

It must have been the work we put into lighting and building the setups that has kept me focused all these years and the excitement of it all (we generally have friends over also) that has kept me in excited mode. Because this last year with just the wife and I we went out to the fire pit and I lit a small fire and sat back and watched the show unfold.

This was really strange for me as I started to get real anxious and nervous the later it got, and my PTSD only kept getting worse as time went on.

I only made it till maybe 10:30 and told my wife I had to go back inside to watch some tv (always have the AC's on to help with the noise inside) and spent the rest of the evening on the couch watching a movie to keep my mind redirected.

I know a lot of Vetrans have a hard time with the 4th but last year was the first time I personally felt something like that and it was real uncomfortable for sure.

So I can now say I at least have some empathy for what some war vets go thru that night after last year.

I'll probably just light off what's left from 2 years ago and call it good. I'm not sellin a gun to pay for a night of fireworks...

But my daughter and some really good friends are planning to be there so I'm hoping it is just excitement this year and I can avoid the anxiety.

I also open carry a pistol that day just cuz Merica! And yes, it is literally burning money but it is a once a year party that many of my friends look forward too (and contribute for) as well as dumping a lot of money into our local economy so I bite the bullet as it were most every year and buy some stuff.

I'm not fond of fireworks , nor how they affect my pets.
I also do not like waking up at "O dark thirty" after a loud boom.
That being said my dislikes should not ruin the enjoyment of others.

There is room for both on the Fourth , if folks on both sides would use common sense and good judgement.
( I'm know I asking for a lot , but I think it could happen LOL )
Andy

I have made no secret of the fact that I think that law abiding citizens should be able to buy and own anything the gov. can possess. From fireworks to tanks to rockets. The one exception would be NBC weapons, which I believe should be banned period (no one, not governments, nobody, should possess them).

That said, we have laws about shooting firearms inside municipal areas because of the dense population - for safety reasons.

You can own fireworks, you just cannot use certain types of fireworks in certain areas where/when there is a fire danger. Like inside the city or anywhere/anytime there is a fire danger. We don't allow people to burn during certain times of the year, no camp fires in the national forests during high fire danger times. Same should go for fireworks.

I have made no secret of the fact that I think that law abiding citizens should be able to buy and own anything the gov. can possess. From fireworks to tanks to rockets. The one exception would be NBC weapons, which I believe should be banned period (no one, not governments, nobody, should possess them).

That said, we have laws about shooting firearms inside municipal areas because of the dense population - for safety reasons.

You can own fireworks, you just cannot use certain types of fireworks in certain areas where/when there is a fire danger. Like inside the city or anywhere/anytime there is a fire danger. We don't allow people to burn during certain times of the year, no camp fires in the national forests during high fire danger times. Same should go for fireworks.

We keep a 5 gal bucket full of water, a 100' hose with sprayer primed and a big fire extinguisher every year just in case.

Only needed them once - our front neighbor let her yard go to weeds that died and had a tinder box out front. After catchin it on fire and putting it out we hosed down her whole front yard and didn't have another issue.

And yea, I stop at midnight but then there are the random explosions till about 2-3am. Going to make Tuesday a bear for folks that are working.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top