JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Quote:
So here's the deal I'm looking for a nightstand gun for my girlfriend and myself to train with. I would like to tap into the wealth of knowlege on this forum.

this is what I think I want and why.

.40 cal = this round seems to have enough velocity to expand well in hollw point form and is less likley to overpenetrate than 9mm. If I'm not mistaken .40 cal feed ramps are designed for feeding flat tip ammo.
Why not just go with the round you and your gf can shoot best (prbly 9mm, everyone can shoot 9) and TRAIN to know whats behind your target (fundamental in combat shooting)
Full size gun= for accuracy and recoil purposes I'm thinking about 4" barrel length min.
Are you wanting the gun for sight picture or grip size? Big 24/7 XS Sight is made for all types of HD SD guns. My nightstand gun is a 45acp 3" revolver b/c of the off chance the slide might go out of battery in a contact encounter. Needs a big golf ball 24/7 sight tho. Right now has fiber optic red sight.
picanny rail= all nightstand guns should have a light maybe even a laser
gun lights are good but you could go old school, pistol with a flashlight.
DAO= this action is ultimately the most defenceable in court, most DAO guns have a better da trigger than their DA/SA counter parts, and they work best for snap-cap or dry fire training
Revolvers are great for dry-firing drills
Hammer fired = because striker fired guns do not have a "double strike" capability and they don't work for dry fire drills.
Tap rack bang works great! but in a revolver just move onto the next round with the DA
So i'm asking what have you guys used and did you like it.

I switched to a large emphasis on revolvers b/c they have proven themselves as reliable "safe" "defensive" guns.
S&W offerings with the trr8 is a little pricey but it holds 8 rounds of 357 or the much more sensible 38 +p special out of a nice long barrel, with rails, great DA pull, and are used widely as the tool that will save lives when the fancy autoloaders fail.

otherwise, a Sig P226 DAK in 40 is probably exactly what you're looking for. Maybe you should consider a revolver in 10mm/40sw.

.40 cal = this round seems to have enough velocity to expand well in hollw point form and is less likley to overpenetrate than 9mm. If I'm not mistaken .40 cal feed ramps are designed for feeding flat tip ammo.

I'd like to see some valid tests proving this one. One of the reasons so many LEO depts switched to .40 from 9mm is that a 9mm might just bounce off the windshield or rear window of a vehicle but the .40 will more likely penetrate it.

A properly loaded 9mm JHP with a quality bullet will fully expand in every test I've seen whether in gel or just shooting into a series of milk cartons filled with water and lined up in a row. So will a .38 special. Good bullet manufacturers design for that, and carefully control lead hardness etc.

I test my reloads with the milk jug method. I want my bullets to stop in the third jug in the row, and be fully expanded.

As for feed ramps, I have to throw the BS flag on that one. I've never had a feeding problem with quality JHP in a modern, quality 9mm gun. Heck, even my Kel Tec PF-9 likes them.

$.02

PS I'm a fan of the 9mm (for CCW size such as my Kel Tec PF-9) and don't ever expect to need to penetrate the windshield of a car. That brings back thoughts of another thread where a guy shot a fleeing perp who was stealing a car speaker. I believe that if I ever have to shoot someone (heaven forbid, please) that it will be up close and personal. A 9mm +P is no slouch. A lot of plain clothes LEOs still carry the .38 J frame revolver; a round similar to the 9mm in power and bullet size.

USP's have kind of an odd rail set-up i'd probably have to get an adapter, but I do like the longer barrel.

does any one know how the action is on a usp,is it smooth compared to the DA of a DA/SA SIG p226?

BTW: I'm DA/SA kind of guy but thought i'd try DAO out

The USP does have an odd rail, I had to get an adapter to mount the TLR on it, but I found it for cheap. There are some options for mounting lights without the adapter though.

I don't know how the USP action compares to others, but I love it.

Thanks a bunch for the input.

I have read good things about the DAK triggers and I will definetly try them out.

I too like the 9mm for ccw as I have a P11 but I would like the .40 for night stand duty and it will be okay my girlfriend can handle the .40 in my sig p229 da/sa for about 2 mags worth at a time. and if I get a 229/226 DAK then I could get a 9mm conversion barrel for the range.

I like the idea of the s&w trr8 I will check into that one if I can get my hands on one.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top