JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I caught a little bit of this on thejaysituation instagram stories and went in search of some additional info. Found this on Reddit and I am sure there is more info out there. Concerning for all those who have form 1'd suppressors as the ATF appears to be changing the rules after the game has finished.

Posted over on Reddit:
Posted by
u/paper_killa

18 days ago

ATF Detroit Office - Solvent traps are suppressors and Form 1s are not valid

renderTimingPixel.png

If you send a email to [email protected] you will get this auto reply. This was the email setup specifically for DM issue, letter responders are suppose to be forwarded here:
Under the National Firearms Act (NFA), 26 U.S.C. §§ 5861(b)-(c), it is unlawful for any person to receive or possess a firearm transferred to him or her in violation of the NFA or made in violation of the NFA. This includes silencers and silencer parts, regardless of manufacturer.
This email account was set up to answer questions from individuals who received letters regarding Diversified Machine parts. There may be other manufacturers creating silencer parts without complying with the law, as described below.
A silencer is defined under the Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA) and the National Firearms Act to mean "any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication." See 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(24).
In other words, a silencer is any item intended to function as a silencer, any combination of parts for assembling or fabricating a silencer, and any part that exists solely for the purpose of making a silencer. As a NFA firearm, silencer/part(s), must be registered by the manufacturer or maker of the firearm in the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record (NFRTR). See 26 U.S.C. § 5841.
A limited exception exists for special occupational taxpayers (SOT) engaged in the business of manufacturing silencers who possess unregistered silencer parts. However, SOT manufacturers must register upon first engaging in the business of manufacturing NFA firearms, including silencers.
Possession of any previously unregistered part that exists solely for the purpose of making a silencer is in violation of the NFA, regardless of further modifications and/or the subsequent submission of an ATF Form 1.
ATF is aware that some Diversified Machine silencer/part(s) were subsequently registered in the NFRTR as a making on an ATF Form 1 by the present possessor. This registration was contrary to law. An ATF Form 1 does not alleviate the previous unlawful transfer or registration of the silencer or silencer parts. You should be aware that any silencer or silencer part that was unlawfully registered will be removed from the NFRTR.
Upon request, ATF will assist with a determination of whether the item is a silencer as defined by the NFA. If necessary, the device may need to be sent to the Firearms and Ammunition Technology Division for classification.
The law applies to any silencer including parts intended only for the assembly or fabrication of a silencer. It does not matter what company originally made it. If silencer/part(s) were not registered at the time of manufacture, it is unlawful to possess. We are happy to assist with determinations as to silencer/part(s) in your possession- regardless of the manufacturer.
Destruction of silencer/part(s) may be accomplished by crushing, shredding, or melting the parts, such that they no longer meet the legal definition of a silencer and cannot be reassembled into a silencer.
If you have transferred the silencer/part(s), then you should provide us the name of the transferee.

BATFE isn't muddying the waters, people breathlessly pulling and reposting whatever they find on instagram and reddit are- The ATF isn't changing the rules, but yeah. Instagram says.....

Read it: It says if you bought a bunch of parts and made a suppressor and only filled in a form 1 after the fact, ( say if a companys' mailing list fell into the hands of the BAFTE and you crapped yourself realizing your name might be on it ), then that silencer will be removed from the register and you'll then be in possession of an unregistered NFA item.

"ATF is aware that some Diversified Machine silencer/part(s) were subsequently registered in the NFRTR as a making on an ATF Form 1 by the present possessor. This registration was contrary to law. An ATF Form 1 does not alleviate the previous unlawful transfer or registration of the silencer or silencer parts. You should be aware that any silencer or silencer part that was unlawfully registered will be removed from the NFRTR."

If you made your solvent trap suppressor after getting your form 1 approved, like the instructions tell you, then you're fine.
If you didn't.....

"If silencer/part(s) were not registered at the time of manufacture, it is unlawful to possess."

Register, get approved then manufacture (drill your holes)

BATFE isn't muddying the waters, people breathlessly pulling and reposting whatever they find on instagram and reddit are- The ATF isn't changing the rules, but yeah. Instagram says.....

Read it: It says if you bought a bunch of parts and made a suppressor and only filled in a form 1 after the fact, ( say if a companys' mailing list fell into the hands of the BAFTE and you crapped yourself realizing your name might be on it ), then that silencer will be removed from the register and you'll then be in possession of an unregistered NFA item.

"ATF is aware that some Diversified Machine silencer/part(s) were subsequently registered in the NFRTR as a making on an ATF Form 1 by the present possessor. This registration was contrary to law. An ATF Form 1 does not alleviate the previous unlawful transfer or registration of the silencer or silencer parts. You should be aware that any silencer or silencer part that was unlawfully registered will be removed from the NFRTR."

If you made your solvent trap suppressor after getting your form 1 approved, like the instructions tell you, then you're fine.
If you didn't.....

"If silencer/part(s) were not registered at the time of manufacture, it is unlawful to possess."

Thanks. When I gave that a quick read that was my take away too. Was going to give it another read later to see if I was missing something. Reason I was interested is Wife keeps making noise about setting up the trust for a can or two. I told her if she wants to I am of course all in on it and that I would make at least the first can with one of these kits to play with. I explained to her that I would do it the right way. Get the trust and stamp first, then buy the parts to make the first can.

So if I'm reading that right. They don't want anyone making these without an SOT. I really don't think this has anything to do with the end user. They want to end the manufacturers side of things. I imagine that's why Quietbore is still going and many others have been shut down. QB has a SOT and the correct FFL. They can legally manufacture "silencer" parts. Then you can legally purchase said evil parts, only if you have an approved form 1.

They are sort of showing their hands here. They don't have the man power to go after the little guys yet. So they are going after manufacturers. Makes sense, if it wasn't for those making kits, the amount of form 1 cans out there right now would be drastically reduced.

So if I'm reading that right. They don't want anyone making these without an SOT. I really don't think this has anything to do with the end user. They want to end the manufacturers side of things. I imagine that's why Quietbore is still going and many others have been shut down. QB has a SOT and the correct FFL. They can legally manufacture "silencer" parts. Then you can legally purchase said evil parts, only if you have an approved form 1.

They are sort of showing their hands here. They don't have the man power to go after the little guys yet. So they are going after manufacturers. Makes sense, if it wasn't for those making kits, the amount of form 1 cans out there right now would be drastically reduced.
What are your thoughts on Quietbore's 9mm can?

If you didn't.....

I did read it. The ATF is saying that the parts manufactured by Diversified Machine and other non-SOT manufactures are illegal suppressor parts at time of manufacture. So regardless of when they are completed by the end user pre/post Form 1 approval, they were already illegally manufactured suppressor parts and therefore can not be legally turned into a form 1 suppressor.

@Reno does a good job of explaining what is likely going on.

What are your thoughts on Quietbore's 9mm can?
The 22 is worthless. The 9/45 are similar baffle design, not the greatest.

The 556/308 has the best baffle design and is pretty quiet. Heavy AF though.

If you went with them, I'd get the 556 kit and bore it to 9mm. Run their stupid thread pattern Plan B mount.

"

My point is that the headline is massively generalized to the point of not applying to most people who've legally form 1'd a suppressor form a kit or trap

It's written to rile up and alarm anyone who's legally built and registered a solvent trap suppressor and it discourages others from doing so, when we should be encouraging more people to do this. So it's a bubblegumty headline

Tease the ATF case against DM apart from the separate issues of other companies, not just QB, manufacturing & selling buying components to build a supressor and people who own a DM product or other home made F1 can.

The Flint ATF office alleges that DM was shipping things that were already silencers ( whether you agree or not is moot)., not kits from which end customers could build one and that caused 2 problems-
1) DM didn't hold an SOT, and were manufacturing "silencers" ( not components or parts ) without registering each one as an NFA item.
2) Customers were buying complete silencers (per the ATF) and registering them after the fact ( really grey area as they were attempting compliance with the law), or not registering them at all ( not a grey area if your name is on a 2015 list of buyers and not on any approved form 1s ).

I don't know what it was about DM's products that tipped them over the line from" kit" to "NFA suppressor"- many have just been some particularly "motivated" person in that office, but no other ATF office has in the 2 years since, made a similar declaration and, to my knowledge, no other company has had the same problem as DM.

BATFE seems to be after those who bought /made suppressors from DM and hoped they were making off paper suppressors with the intentional goal of never registering them

The point is that Solvent traps and kits, other than DMs, ARE NOT suppressors until "manufactured", assembled and drilled, and if you have done this after form 1 approval, the form 1's ARE VALID. If you have a DM kit and registered it, your form 1 is almost certainly still valid - see below.
There is nothing stopping anyone from building their own suppressor , from a kit or "solvent trap" on a form 1, as long as they follow the law regarding when it's registered and when it's "manufactured.

here's a good explanation from a laywer as to DM and the ATF: note the bold bits

"In case you've not been following recent occurrences surrounding Diversified Machine, here is what we know. In late 2020 and early 2021, ATF raided Diversified Machine, a company selling solvent traps and other items commonly used to manufacture Form 1 silencers, and seized their website. The week after Christmas 2021, ATF mailed this single-page Warning Notice that is equal parts threatening and vague, to thousands of people across the country. All of these people appear to have been identified through Diversified Machine's customer records, going back to at least 2015.

The letter, poorly worded as it is, seems to be alleging that some, if not all, of the products that Diversified Machine was selling, were silencers under federal law, prior to the time they left Diversified Machine. As the letter states, under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(24):

The terms "firearm silencer" and "firearm muffler" mean any device for silencing, muffling, or diminishing the report of a portable firearm, including any combination of parts, designed or redesigned, and intended for use in assembling or fabricating a firearm silencer or firearm muffler, and any part intended only for use in such assembly or fabrication. (emphasis added)
If this is ATF's position, then the logical endpoint would be that those products, must have been transferred pursuant to an approved Form 4, as they were already NFA items. The immediate problem is that ATF addressed the letters to "Diversified Machine Customer", did not identify which products it believes are silencers, and then directed recipients to contact their local field office. The combination of these three factors left the notice's recipients unable to determine which parts are at issue and whether their approved Form 1's are considered acceptable. After speaking with three of Pennsylvania's field offices, I learned that they were just as in the dark as the rest of us. At some point after the letter was sent, the field offices were notified by email, that the Flint Michigan Field Office, which sent the letter, is considering registered items to be acceptable, and unregistered items to be unacceptable and needing to be surrendered. Whether that meant silencers manufactured pursuant to an approved Form 1 were considered lawful, or whether they were going to attempt to reclaim anything not transferred pursuant to a Form 4 was still unclear.

Many people turned to the web to try to get a sense of whether they were alone and what they should do. Many others called their attorneys to determine how they should respond, if at all. Many more, like myself, kept working backwards through ATF to the source of the letter. Reminder: YOU SHOULD NEVER SPEAK TO LAW ENFORCEMENT, ESPECIALLY THE ATF, AND ESPECIALLY AFTER RECEIVING A WARNING NOTICE, WITHOUT AN ATTORNEY.

After speaking with the individual in the Flint Michigan Field Office leading this case last Friday (who I have intentionally not named), here is what I learned.

First, ATF is contending that many of the products Diversified Machine was manufacturing were silencer parts, meeting the federal definition of a silencer themselves. While I was not provided with a specific or comprehensive list, I got the impression that their position applies to most of Diversified Machine's catalog, hence the one-size-fits-all warning notice.

Second, they were not contemplating knocking on doors or seizing these items from persons who have registered them on Forms 1 or 4. I was told that "end users" with registered items are not the target of this investigation. They are purportedly considering both Forms to be acceptable methods of registering these items. Even still, they would like to know the identities of those persons, purportedly for the purpose of removing them from the list of persons pulled from Diversified Machine's customer records. REMINDER: YOU SHOULD NOT BE SPEAKING TO ATF WITHOUT AN ATTORNEY.

Third, for anybody who has destroyed the items they received, not received items they ordered, or otherwise no longer has items from Diversified Machine – ATF will purportedly be taking those people at their word as they are also not the targets of this investigation. Again, ATF would still like to know the identities of those persons for the purpose of removing them from the list of persons pulled from Diversified Machine's customer records. REMINDER: YOU SHOULD NOT BE SPEAKING TO ATF WITHOUT AN ATTORNEY.

Finally, I was informed that ATF is currently working on cross-referencing the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record with Diversified Machine's customer records. Once completed, those individuals who appear in Diversified Machine's customer records and have approved Forms 1 or 4, will be sent a subsequent letter informing them that they are considered by ATF to have appropriately registered their items. There was no available estimate for when this would be completed or the second letter sent.

This information was all provided to me verbally and may be subject to change in the coming days/weeks/months as the situation evolves. It is imperative that you take appropriate steps to protect yourself. Do not speak to ATF or any other law enforcement without an attorney, you are much more likely to talk yourself into trouble, than out of it. Do not consent to any searches. If you have any questions or concerns, address them with an attorney familiar with firearms law and the ATF. If you want to take any preemptive action, do it through an attorney familiar with firearms law and the ATF.

Last Edited:
The 22 is worthless. The 9/45 are similar baffle design, not the greatest.

The 556/308 has the best baffle design and is pretty quiet. Heavy AF though.

If you went with them, I'd get the 556 kit and bore it to 9mm. Run their stupid thread pattern Plan B mount.
Thinking of doing a form 1 before selling my drill press. Not married to any brand, still looking.

"

My point is that the headline is massively generalized to the point of not applying to most people who've legally form 1'd a suppressor form a kit or trap

It's written to rile up and alarm anyone who's legally built and registered a solvent trap suppressor and it discourages others from doing so, when we should be encouraging more people to do this. So it's a bubblegumty headline

Tease the ATF case against DM apart from the separate issues of other companies, not just QB, manufacturing & selling buying components to build a supressor and people who own a DM product or other home made F1 can.

The Flint ATF office alleges that DM was shipping things that were already silencers ( whether you agree or not is moot)., not kits from which end customers could build one and that caused 2 problems-
1) DM didn't hold an SOT, and were manufacturing "silencers" ( not components or parts ) without registering each one as an NFA item.
2) Customers were buying complete silencers (per the ATF) and registering them after the fact ( really grey area as they were attempting compliance with the law), or not registering them at all ( not a grey area if your name is on a 2015 list of buyers and not on any approved form 1s ).

I don't know what it was about DM's products that tipped them over the line from" kit" to "NFA suppressor"- many have just been some particularly "motivated" person in that office, but no other ATF office has in the 2 years since, made a similar declaration and, to my knowledge, no other company has had the same problem as DM.

BATFE seems to be after those who bought /made suppressors from DM and hoped they were making off paper suppressors with the intentional goal of never registering them

The point is that Solvent traps and kits, other than DMs, ARE NOT suppressors until "manufactured", assembled and drilled, and if you have done this after form 1 approval, the form 1's ARE VALID. If you have a DM kit and registered it, your form 1 is almost certainly still valid - see below.
There is nothing stopping anyone from building their own suppressor , from a kit or "solvent trap" on a form 1, as long as they follow the law regarding when it's registered and when it's "manufactured.

here's a good explanation from a laywer as to DM and the ATF: note the bold bits

"In case you've not been following recent occurrences surrounding Diversified Machine, here is what we know. In late 2020 and early 2021, ATF raided Diversified Machine, a company selling solvent traps and other items commonly used to manufacture Form 1 silencers, and seized their website. The week after Christmas 2021, ATF mailed this single-page Warning Notice that is equal parts threatening and vague, to thousands of people across the country. All of these people appear to have been identified through Diversified Machine's customer records, going back to at least 2015.

The letter, poorly worded as it is, seems to be alleging that some, if not all, of the products that Diversified Machine was selling, were silencers under federal law, prior to the time they left Diversified Machine. As the letter states, under 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(24):

If this is ATF's position, then the logical endpoint would be that those products, must have been transferred pursuant to an approved Form 4, as they were already NFA items. The immediate problem is that ATF addressed the letters to "Diversified Machine Customer", did not identify which products it believes are silencers, and then directed recipients to contact their local field office. The combination of these three factors left the notice's recipients unable to determine which parts are at issue and whether their approved Form 1's are considered acceptable. After speaking with three of Pennsylvania's field offices, I learned that they were just as in the dark as the rest of us. At some point after the letter was sent, the field offices were notified by email, that the Flint Michigan Field Office, which sent the letter, is considering registered items to be acceptable, and unregistered items to be unacceptable and needing to be surrendered. Whether that meant silencers manufactured pursuant to an approved Form 1 were considered lawful, or whether they were going to attempt to reclaim anything not transferred pursuant to a Form 4 was still unclear.

Many people turned to the web to try to get a sense of whether they were alone and what they should do. Many others called their attorneys to determine how they should respond, if at all. Many more, like myself, kept working backwards through ATF to the source of the letter. Reminder: YOU SHOULD NEVER SPEAK TO LAW ENFORCEMENT, ESPECIALLY THE ATF, AND ESPECIALLY AFTER RECEIVING A WARNING NOTICE, WITHOUT AN ATTORNEY.

After speaking with the individual in the Flint Michigan Field Office leading this case last Friday (who I have intentionally not named), here is what I learned.

First, ATF is contending that many of the products Diversified Machine was manufacturing were silencer parts, meeting the federal definition of a silencer themselves. While I was not provided with a specific or comprehensive list, I got the impression that their position applies to most of Diversified Machine's catalog, hence the one-size-fits-all warning notice.

Second, they were not contemplating knocking on doors or seizing these items from persons who have registered them on Forms 1 or 4. I was told that "end users" with registered items are not the target of this investigation. They are purportedly considering both Forms to be acceptable methods of registering these items. Even still, they would like to know the identities of those persons, purportedly for the purpose of removing them from the list of persons pulled from Diversified Machine's customer records. REMINDER: YOU SHOULD NOT BE SPEAKING TO ATF WITHOUT AN ATTORNEY.

Third, for anybody who has destroyed the items they received, not received items they ordered, or otherwise no longer has items from Diversified Machine – ATF will purportedly be taking those people at their word as they are also not the targets of this investigation. Again, ATF would still like to know the identities of those persons for the purpose of removing them from the list of persons pulled from Diversified Machine's customer records. REMINDER: YOU SHOULD NOT BE SPEAKING TO ATF WITHOUT AN ATTORNEY.

Finally, I was informed that ATF is currently working on cross-referencing the National Firearms Registration and Transfer Record with Diversified Machine's customer records. Once completed, those individuals who appear in Diversified Machine's customer records and have approved Forms 1 or 4, will be sent a subsequent letter informing them that they are considered by ATF to have appropriately registered their items. There was no available estimate for when this would be completed or the second letter sent.

This information was all provided to me verbally and may be subject to change in the coming days/weeks/months as the situation evolves. It is imperative that you take appropriate steps to protect yourself. Do not speak to ATF or any other law enforcement without an attorney, you are much more likely to talk yourself into trouble, than out of it. Do not consent to any searches. If you have any questions or concerns, address them with an attorney familiar with firearms law and the ATF. If you want to take any preemptive action, do it through an attorney familiar with firearms law and the ATF.

If you have received one of the ATF's Warning Notices in this or any other matter, and would like to speak with an attorney about your legal rights and obligations, contact us today!
Based on the length and breadth of what you just posted, I think you have only strengthen the title of this thread. There is nothing definitive in any of that information. I agree that if you are manufacturing a Form 1 can from scratch at home and follow the proper procedure you have nothing to worry about at this time once approved. As for anything considered a solvent trap or any other manufactured product intended for a final use of being a suppressor being manufactured by a non-SOT, sure sounds like the waters are muddied and you are gambling to me. Combine that with the uptick of people posting about their Form 1 suppressor applications getting denied whether manufacturing from scratch or using pre-existing parts and the preponderance of evidence is that the ATF is up to something on Form 1 cans.

A lot of folks posting about getting denied on their Form 1's with this message:
A SILENCER IS DEFINED UNDER FEDERAL LAW TO INCLUDE, IN RELEVANT PART, ANY COMBINATION OF PARTS, DESIGNED OR
REDESIGNED, AND INTENDED FOR USE IN ASSEMBLING OR FABRICATING A FIREARM SILENCER OR FIREARM MUFFLER, AND
ANY PART INTENDED ONLY FOR USE IN SUCH ASSEMBLY OR FABRICATION. SEE GUN CONTROL ACT (GCA) AT 18 U.S.C.
921(A)(24) AND NATIONAL FIREARMS ACT (NFA) AT 26 U.S.C. 5845. PARTS THAT FALL UNDER THE DEFINITION OF SILENCER MUST
COMPLY WITH THE REGISTRATION, TAX, AND TRANSFER PROVISIONS OF THE NFA. UPON REVIEW OF YOUR EFORM 1
APPLICATION, THE PART FROM WHICH YOU INTEND TO MAKE A SILENCER ALREADY MEETS THE NFAS DEFINITION OF
SILENCER. THE PART WAS NOT REGISTERED NOR TRANSFERRED IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE NFA, THEREFORE, YOUR EFORM 1
APPLICATION TO MAKE A SILENCER IS DISAPPROVED. NFA DIVISION NOTES THAT IT IS UNLAWFUL FOR YOU TO POSSESS A
SILENCER MADE OR TRANSFERRED IN VIOLATION OF THE NFA. 26 U.S.C. 5861(B)(C).

Sounds like the ATF is virtually killing home made suppressors and Form 1 suppressors. Unless you are a machinist, which if they continue to go down this route, would require you to have a license and SOT.

From everything I am reading, if you bought parts to make a suppressor, those parts (YES EVEN IF THEY ARE NOT COMPLETE) are suppressor parts. You can not legally own suppressor parts without an approved tax stamp, you can't get an approval because you are in possession of illegal parts.

Question is, how far are they going. If you bought some bar stock to make a suppressor, is that bar stock now a suppressor part?

Like I said earlier, I don't think they will go that far. I think this has everything to do with stopping companies from making 80% suppressors aka solvent traps.

By this logic, I could see them denying SBRs. Especially pistol brace based ones.

We can't approve your SBR because you are already in possession of an illegal SBR.

@wired , what are your thoughts? You probably have the most experience in this area.
I dont know yet. I submitted one a few days ago. Prints are still in mu mailbox. From what Ive see theyre part of a larger Biden led anti gun campaign of following gun laws to the letter of the law where before they kind of fudged them. He's doing by executive action what he couldnt get done with new laws but staying within the letter of the law. They seem to be doing two things.

1. Since by previous rulings in 1982 they have called every part of a silencer a silencer they are disallowing new form 1's as you'd have to register each part. Its total nonsense but until they are challenged in court they can do whatever they feel like.
2. They are considering solvent trap tubes and cups to be silencer parts. Theyve already shut down all but a small handful of parts makers. The problem in doing so is that not all Form 1 makers are using off the shelf parts kits. Many of mine are fully machined by me. Not all of them . It has been a convenience thing but I could do it at any time. .

I dont know. Theres other things theyre doing too like going after forced reset trigger makers who do not hold the patent. RB has been skating along but all of the other makers have been raided . The ATF has ever done that before, you know, been the patent watchdog but theyre doing it in force now.

If my recent silencer submission , which I had really intended on being my last ( yeah right ) doesnt go through I'll be contacting my senator Lindsey Graham .

Only rumors, but some folks online saying they are going back and essentially canceling already approved form 1s. No confirmation on this yet.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top