JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been looking around for a Smith & Wesson, Model 29 the last few weeks. I happened upon a very nice Astra Model 44 for sale. I've seen them from time to time and I believe they are kind of a clone of the 29. Though I have had no experience with this model, the Astras I've owned and/or shot have been nicely made. (My father was an Astra fan back in the day.)

Anyway, my "gut" is still saying go with, and spend a little more for, a Model 29. And I'm also not sure on the parts situation for the alternative, but it is unlikely to be as readily available as the Smith.

Thoughts on this one? Thanks!

Were it my money, I'd find an early Model 29. I believe that shooting anything shorter than a 4" barrel in the .44 Magnum cartridge is just a bit more abusive than I'd care to try shooting. While I can't speak for the revolver in question, the older Astra revolvers came from Spain and some were quite good.

If I were purchasing a .44 Magnum, I'd opt for either a Ruger or Pre 1980 S&W with a minimum of a 6 1/2" barrel.

That's just me.

The Astra's I have been around seemed to have questionable steel treatment. I have seen Parts break from being too hard (crystallized) and have seen pistols shoot loose very prematurely. I would be afraid of long term active use particularly with an intense 44 mag loading. They do look nice. I bet Parts could be a challenge.

Gotta say, I think the Smith would be the better choice here! Having had the Rugers in both Red and Black, and well as the Bizley, I much prefer the Smiths or the Dan Wesson!
Just for fun, ( seriously) I now run a pair of Ruger Old Army pistols, 8" barrels, and they are every bit as good as the other options, and the advantages of running Hole Black are not to be discounted! Plus, they just look mean as hell!:D

Thanks for the thoughts. I bought a new S&W Model 29 (with a 6½" barrel) yesterday. According to an email I received, it is on its way to the local FFL. :)

Thanks for the thoughts. I bought a new S&W Model 29 (with a 6½" barrel) yesterday. According to an email I received, it is on its way to the local FFL. :)

May God bless and supply you with the best available. I want the best for you and pray that you get a good one.

Take it in for a proper trigger job and you'll be happier than "a speckled pup under a red wagon".

I have a post lock 4" M629 and my buddy has a Custom Shop M629 6" a couple of years old. During the eclipse, we were shooting everything here in the back yard. He was shooting nearly one hole 3 shot groups with mine and his was closer to 3 inch groups. He offered me his gun and 1000.00 for mine (he is taking one to Alaska this summer Fishing) I still have mine.......as I have said before, it is the most versitle handgun/caliber combination on the planet. I own maby 100 pistols but it gets the most use by far.

I have a post lock 4" M629 and my buddy has a Custom Shop M629 6" a couple of years old. During the eclipse, we were shooting everything here in the backyard. He was shooting nearly one hole 3 shot groups with mine and his was closer to 3-inch groups. He offered me his gun and 1000.00 for mine (he is taking one to Alaska this summer Fishing) I still have mine.......as I have said before, it is the most versatile handgun/caliber combination on the planet. I own maybe 100 pistols but it gets the most use by far.

The .41 Magnum and .44 Magnum cartridges would be what I would consider "minimum power-level" cartridges for woods-tramping among the alders of Alaska. If your handgun shoots that well, I'd hang onto it for dear life!

I'd stick with the Smith and Wesson. At least parts are available and you can always find someone to work on it. If it's a new Smith, you can always send it back for warranty work.

The Astra ...... you might be on your own.

+2 re. parts for anything Astra. The company has been out of biz for years, why buy something that might become an expensive paperweight if a part breaks? The last couple of decades they were in biz, it was an uphill struggle for them. Money was short, corners had to be cut. They were more famous for making automatic pistol designs, their revolvers were a desperate attempt to capture even a small part of any market they could. Remember, before CNC machining, MIM parts, etc., making revolvers always required more skill and care than most automatic pistols took. So buying a later model Astra revolver would be buying the weak product of a weak company, not a good combination.

Astra made some good firearms in the 1940's.