JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Arrrgggghhhhh! I must be death to range rentals,this is the third gun that has needed to be replaced, after I put my hands on it, and it's starting to give me a complex!

I went to the range today and shot an S&W 22A 22LR 7, at least I'm pretty sure this is what it was.
2-SW107430FC.jpg

Anyway what happened after about 30 rounds it would sorta jam, but closing the slide, it would fire just fine, for about 4 rounds and jam/hang again. Only once or twice do a round eject when I pulled the slide back to check. At about round 50, it started hanging on every other round that got fired, but removing the magazine and re-racking the slide, seemed to clear the problem. I found out when I turned the gun in, that the metal lower part of frame had cracked on both sides. The guy at the sign in desk, said it wasn't that old of a range gun so it was odd that it had a crack in it.

Glad it didn't cause an even bigger problem, but they will be replacing the gun. I had used this very gun a few days before, and it ran through 200 rounds flawlessly. So I have no idea if it cracked before or after I started using it today.
What sort of stress, would cause the frame to crack under the pistol grips, just behind the trigger? I know I didn't drop it while using it. Or was this just a weak spot on this particular gun?

Da Bear (breaker of guns, spawn of Hades)

2-SW107430FC.jpg

Last Edited:
This happens to me all the time. Its called death grip. I have cracked a glock 26, a 1911, and a 12ga. Stock and forend. J/k
But it does sound like severe trigger over travel.

Your running your .22 reloads TOO HOT!!! Back off on the powder, man. Warning, previous statement used for entertainment only. My guess being a range rental who knows what kind of treatment it gets.
Good luck and stay safe,
Mike

My first thought was reloads until I read that it was a .22.

Dropped or something horrific like that is my guess.

It is a quality gun not some POS, I have no actual real guess sorry.

I was looking to buy one of these for target practice, so hopefully it's just rotten customer handling.

This happens to me all the time. Its called death grip. I have cracked a glock 26, a 1911, and a 12ga. Stock and forend. J/k
But it does sound like severe trigger over travel.

Superman shoots? Wow! Will ask about trigger over travel when I go to the range again.

Your running your .22 reloads TOO HOT!!! Back off on the powder, man. Warning, previous statement used for entertainment only. My guess being a range rental who knows what kind of treatment it gets.
Good luck and stay safe,
Mike

Yeah I'm kinda thinking that the rentals get treated to things, that if the people shooting them actually owned them, would never happen. Also would not put it past renters to use reloads in some rentals just to test their powder.

The good news is, I think I figured out the best way for me to see both the sights and the target. Remove a contact in my dominate eye, vs a lens from my glasses. It was a lot easier to line up the sights and get decent groupings.

I'm pretty sure that if some Clydesdale dropped a rental he would never report it. A lot of people handling these weapons are new to the shooting sports. Glad nothing bad happened!

If this had been a Taurus, or some 1911 with a cast frame, folks would have been all over this with the jokes. Stuff happens. Surely we aren't all going to start bashing Smith & Wesson generally, right? But we'll remember that even a S&W can break?

I have one of those .22s and its a great little shooter. I take it every time I go shooting almost. Lots of rounds thru it and its still fine. Id say that one that cracked had some rough handling around the range or someone got real physical with it when they were stripping it for a cleaning. Anyway I would buy another one anytime..

I have one of those .22s and its a great little shooter. I take it every time I go shooting almost. Lots of rounds thru it and its still fine. Id say that one that cracked had some rough handling around the range or someone got real physical with it when they were stripping it for a cleaning. Anyway I would buy another one anytime..

I did end up buying one of the 5.5 inch versions, and really like it. Also picked up a S&W M&P Pro 9mm this past week, and waiting for a day or two off so I can dive into the box of ammo I picked up.

I did end up buying one of the 5.5 inch versions, and really like it. Also picked up a S&W M&P Pro 9mm this past week, and waiting for a day or two off so I can dive into the box of ammo I picked up.

Love S&W! I have an old 40VE from when they first came out with them, a M&P-15 and that .22 pistol. They are all great guns. I wish I could afford one of their 1911s. You cant beat the lifetime warranty. Most guns have them now I guess but you know...

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top