Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

arrgh matey....pirate gun (update)

Discussion in 'Handgun Classifieds' started by coosbaycreep, Oct 7, 2012.

1. coosbaycreep

coosbaycreep 9 miles South of Roseburg Active Member

shiver me timbers, the pirate gun is sold

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
    kummje, Fishnutz, nwwoodsman and 3 others like this.
  2. Dallas Ken

Dallas Ken Dallas Or. Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

You sure come up with some interesting 'stuff'........descriptions are great also.
    Too bad you are way down South.......

3. coosbaycreep

bump

4. AlphaCoyote

AlphaCoyote Oh, I get around. New Member

Geez, I'm interested, but there are so many fakes and reproductions out there. Some of them are really good, including rust or pitting to make something look authentic. So it takes a trained eye. Have you had this authenticated by a reputable historical firearms expert? I'm close to Eugene. PM sent.

5. coosbaycreep

No, I haven't had it authenticated. I'm going to gunworks later today and will have them look at it though.

As far as it being a fake, Belgium was pretty much the king of old school saturday night specials and there wouldn't be much of a financial reason for anyone to have tried faking a gun like this. And as far as faking pitting, that'd be even more of a waste of time since that hurts value more than probably anything on a black powder gun since that's the biggest factor in whether or not it's safe to shoot or just a wallhanger. I don't think worm holes in the wood add to value either.

I've did some searching online about belgian proof marks and found these two websites:http://damascus-barrels.com/Belgian_All_Proofmarks.html

Belgium

According to those websites, the gun could have been made yesterday or a really long time ago. I don't know for sure, but I know my uncle bought it in the '70s and it was in bad shape then. It looks nineteenth century to me though.

proof marks:
    -oval with "ELG" over a star on the barrel
    -what looks like a crown with a cursive "L" or something in front of trigger guard (inspector's mark?)
    -brass cap on end of grip has a circle with an E in it, and what looks like 618 below it. It looks like there may have been some other numbers/letters below that at one time, but they're worn off now.
    -has some other mark on the barrel near the thing the flint hits, but I can't tell what it is

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.