JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Are you a fan of Bisley style grips?

• Indeed, big fan!

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • With a few revolvers, yes.

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Kinda-sorta.

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Nope.

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • No idea.

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Bisley style, oh dear!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Yes, on hard kickers. 41 mag is nuetral, either way.

Converted a 32 H&R Mag/32-20 6.5" Blackhawk Buckeye after having Bowen run a 327 FM Mag reamer through the H&R cylinder.

ETA: OH, also got a bisley s6 in 22 LR and 2 45 Colts 1 BH and a Vaquero and a second stainless vaquero in the process of conversion (hammer, trigger and grip frame).

If your looking for an easier conversion besides steel, RW Grip Frames will hook ya up with several styles of brass grip frames. He has all the factory grip frames cataloged along with 5-6 variations of Bisley style frames. They also do alumininium and steel I believe along with triggers, hammers ect.

Www.rwgripsframes.com

Last Edited:
the looks of bisley style always turned me off. after having shot a 475,357,and44 with these handles, i changed my mind as far as actually shooting. very nice on hard kickers. i only have one blackhawk now and never shoot it, so it's kind of moot.

Bisley grips receive little or no equivocation when it comes to preferences. They are either loved or hated.

Loved by anyone having shot them much. Hated by those who look upon the tail end of the Model P (and similar handguns) and don't see what "God intended" to be there.

For a regular shooter, they offer a number of advantages. Some contributors here have mentioned seeing the value in a gun that recoils significantly. These shooters may share my first experience with an early .44 Magnum Ruger (standard grips). With full-house factory loads, it ended up pointing directly vertical, and the web of my thumb hurt for days afterward. Continuing to shoot the gun required I "walk" my hand down the grip even to the point of one or two fingers below it before pulling the trigger. Unnatural grip on the gun equals unpraiseworthy shooting.

For a shooter with large hands (mine I think could be in a Star Wars bar scene), the Bisley grip grants more real estate on which to put it all.

Natural pointing to the target is facilitated by the accommodating angle of the grip to the barrel. Little torquing of the wrist to lower the barrel to the target is required.

No, it ain't what Matt Dillon had hanging out of the top of his holster, and maybe a Bisley grip isn't the best for a gunfight in the streets of Dodge, but for someone who appreciates any ergonomics that help to enjoy the target shooting experience, and especially for someone who's never tried them, there IS something there to examine and evaluate. They grow on you. Trying them will not land you on middle ground.

1710243704638.jpeg
Top to bottom: Uberti SAA .44-40, Uberti SAA .38-40, Colt's Model P Bisley, .32-20, Factory nickel finish. Each of these guns serves as a "companion piece" to at least one rifle in the same caliber, each cartridge an authentic "rifle/pistol interchangeable" offering that existed in the Old West (no .357's or .45 Long Colt). The Bisley grip facilitates better shooting in more than one way.

Last Edited:
I don't believe I've ever shot a revolver with a Bisley grip. I know I'm not crazy about the standard Ruger Blackhawk grip. I once owned a Blackhawk in .45 Colt and found it unpleasant to shoot, even when I used the exact same ammo that was a pleasure to shoot in a S&W Governor. Perhaps I would have liked the Bisley version better.

I don't believe I've ever shot a revolver with a Bisley grip. I know I'm not crazy about the standard Ruger Blackhawk grip. I once owned a Blackhawk in .45 Colt and found it unpleasant to shoot, even when I used the exact same ammo that was a pleasure to shoot in a S&W Governor. Perhaps I would have liked the Bisley version better.
Well when we have a gun day fun day I'll be sure to bring my 45 Colt and 32 H&R Ruger Bisleys along or you enlightenment.

Yep, I like 'em. Have 3 of them:

- Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt
- Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt / .45 ACP Convertible
- Ruger Vaquero .357

Attention to another significant (essential?) part of the "Bisley Package" is deserved: The redesigned hammer spur (also an ergonomic shape that lends itself to frequent and pleasant practice).

Easier to reach and more comfort to the thumb.

Okay. My turn. I've owned and shot multiple Bisley-Rugers.

My first one, a .44 Magnum , many years ago, I shot it a lot and really liked the Bisley grip frame. Everything worked well. Like so many other things, I traded it for something else.

Fast forward a bunch of years... My very last Ruger Bisley, also a .44 Magnum, what we call an AcuSport Bisley, the trigger guard battered my middle finger so severely, I still have not overcome the flinch that it created.

What changed? I suppose I did. After working in the trades for decades, my fingers have turned into large gorilla fingers. With a conventional Ruger single action, my pinky finger must ride below the grip to give me clearance between my middle knuckle and the trigger guard. And that's common and works well with many shooters with large fingers. With the Bisley, the grip is longer enough, all my fingers remain on the grip. That kind've forces my middle knuckle against the trigger guard. And on a heavy recoiling revolver, my knuckle gets whacked on every shot.

Now this is not a criticism. The Bisley is easier to shoot accurately. But only if your hand and fingers fit the geometry and ergonomics of the grip.

Now if you're shooting a soft puffer .45 or .357, they may not whack your finger at all.

So, like so many other things, a guy owes it to himself to try one out before he lays his money down.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR