JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A Hard Look At The Arcus Pistol

I started out looking for a low cost, but good quality pistol to add to my collection. I wanted something with a metal frame as I was looking for durability and accuracy. In my research I came across the Arcus a Bulgarian rendition of the browning hi-power with lots of good reviews, and decided I wanted one.

I was originally looking at the 98dac, but looking into the importer century arms I found the used 94c for $100 less, and was able to pick one up for $218. Doing more research I found century does a lot of business in police and military trade ins, so decided why not. So I had it and the S&W shown sent to a cut above pawn, shipping was around $35 for one handgun or two and the S&W was a bit below $250. So kind I figured why not get two guns. Both where rated "good", but the Arcus was in a little better shape, looks like it was carried very little and shot even less. I'd rate the Arcus more along very good. I just had to spend a lot of time cleaning brown nasty oil out of it, looked like it was lubed with 10w40, also took the time to remove the mag safety so I could freely drop magazines out of the frame. I was also happy to receive the ka-mkIII model which is basically the 98dac only with a single action trigger. What can I say, I like guns with dove tails. Both guns came to me very dirty and I had to spend a few hours cleaning both, but internals in both seemed good. The smith shows holster wear but seems to be in good shape, was slightly disappointed it came with a ram line instead of factory mag but for $250 can I complain? I do wish that century had a better website and maybe pictures of what they consider the various qualities of their guns. No complaints on the Arcus, and the Smith really just seems to have finish worn off, but I likely would have gone up to the "very good" quality on the smith to get one with less holster wear if I had known.

After getting the Arcus all cleaned up I have to say I am very impressed with the build quality of it. This gun is definitely not the sleekest shiny new polymer gun, but it seems built well and built like a tank. Pretty much what I was hoping for. The slide is blued, but the finish on the frame reminds me of a powder coat and seems as durable. Fitting on everything seems very good and internals are pretty much a hi-power. The gun is not light, but fits well in my hands, and points nicely. I wouldn't actually try it, but the gun feels like you could drop it or even use it as a hammer, then pick it up and shoot it again with no ill effects. Very solid and sturdy, like I said tank. I'll update on accuracy just as soon as I can get it out to shoot it, but if its as good as the reviews I found, these things are definitely keepers. Maybe not the best for CC, then again I've handled many weightier guns also. Anyone have any experiences with Arcus guns or Century arms?

side1.jpg

side2.jpg

Took the guns out yesterday, and was pretty impressed. My go to gun for the last year has been a witness P ported 9mm. The Arcus was just as accurate if not more so. I was surprised that it had more snap to it then the 5903 though. It was also shooting more accurately for me then the 5903, so I would again say the arcus is a pretty good gun and worth a look for someone on a budget.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top