JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'd forgotten about these guys. They were well-known for making the huge Auto Mag Pistols, as featured in one of the Dirty Harry movies. The Auto-Mag was hot shinola in 1972 when I got out of the army. Featured on magazine covers, etc.

On another thread, I've been discussing the overhaul I'm engaged in with my old firearms paper records. I'd forgotten that I owned two AMT products. Not Automags, but their 1911 product, the "Hardballer." They made guns in stainless steel, a material that wasn't yet in use by mainstream gun manufacturers. Randall was another one, but that's another story.

How I happened to own two Hardballers was a fluke. I wouldn't have gone out looking for them. One of my former co-workers of the time was a kinda wild-eyed survivalist. He'd bought a Hardballer, then convinced a pal of his to buy one. After a fairly short time, they both tired of the pistols. My co-worker asked me if I might be interested in buying his, and I did so at a rather distressed price. Three months later, he approached me and asked if I might be interested in buying his pal's. The guns were consecutive serial numbers, A16700 and A16701. I kept one for a while and moved the other one along to my cousin. I fired the one I had; it seemed to work okay.

Sorry, no pictures, at the time it didn't occur to me that I might want to have them for future reference.

AMT also made a stainless steel .380, I think it was called the Backup.

The Randall pistols, I'd forgotten about these until several years ago and I was shopping the "Library" in Cabelas. When they still had a constantly changing, good selection. I went in there one day and they had two Randalls under glass. They were two different models, one was a kinda rare version. BUT: I wrote down the serial numbers, and the "rare" one had a SN that wasn't in the range of known numbers for the model. So perhaps it was a made up from parts piece that had been done after Randall went out of business circa 1985. As I recall, the prices on the two guns weren't bad, but I wasn't interested in becoming a Randall collector.

Both AMT and Randall were southern California-based firms.

I had a couple of their .380's of the old style. S/A stainless. They later made some D/A versions. The little early models were in their day OK, Mine worked fine. One downside was the triggers were horrendous. They felt like the damn safety was still on when you were trying to fire them. This made it harder to make accurate hits with them at first till you got used to it. Many who tried one of mine thought the safety was still on the first time they tried them. That was early in the stainless for guns thing and many found out the hard way that the stainless used in guns was not the same as in their flatware. It would and did rust. Many bought them under the impression they were rust proof and found out no they were not. Company did make some interesting guns though but never seemed to really be able to stay in the game well.

I've had an AMT Back up in 40 S&W and a Randall 1911. The AMT had to go back to the factory because the chamber was cut short and it wouldn't chamber a round. The Randall I took for a walk about at a gun show where I found someone that had to have it for way more than I paid for it.

I'd forgotten about these guys. They were well-known for making the huge Auto Mag Pistols, as featured in one of the Dirty Harry movies. The Auto-Mag was hot shinola in 1972 when I got out of the army. Featured on magazine covers, etc.

On another thread, I've been discussing the overhaul I'm engaged in with my old firearms paper records. I'd forgotten that I owned two AMT products. Not Automags, but their 1911 product, the "Hardballer." They made guns in stainless steel, a material that wasn't yet in use by mainstream gun manufacturers. Randall was another one, but that's another story.

How I happened to own two Hardballers was a fluke. I wouldn't have gone out looking for them. One of my former co-workers of the time was a kinda wild-eyed survivalist. He'd bought a Hardballer, then convinced a pal of his to buy one. After a fairly short time, they both tired of the pistols. My co-worker asked me if I might be interested in buying his, and I did so at a rather distressed price. Three months later, he approached me and asked if I might be interested in buying his pal's. The guns were consecutive serial numbers, A16700 and A16701. I kept one for a while and moved the other one along to my cousin. I fired the one I had; it seemed to work okay.

Sorry, no pictures, at the time it didn't occur to me that I might want to have them for future reference.

AMT also made a stainless steel .380, I think it was called the Backup.

The Randall pistols, I'd forgotten about these until several years ago and I was shopping the "Library" in Cabelas. When they still had a constantly changing, good selection. I went in there one day and they had two Randalls under glass. They were two different models, one was a kinda rare version. BUT: I wrote down the serial numbers, and the "rare" one had a SN that wasn't in the range of known numbers for the model. So perhaps it was a made up from parts piece that had been done after Randall went out of business circa 1985. As I recall, the prices on the two guns weren't bad, but I wasn't interested in becoming a Randall collector.

Both AMT and Randall were southern California-based firms.

We have an Auto Mag consigned with a local shop that has it posted on gunbroker. It has a lot of extras with it. Great piece for the collector.

They are an addiction. Ask me how I know.... :s0114:

Here's more info on AMT / Auto Mag / Automag if you want:

Enjoy.

(This isn't anywhere near all of them. :s0060: )

AirBrush_20210308183156.jpg

I've owned two Automag pistols. An Automag II, which is a 22 mag semi. Fun gun, huge muzzle flash, but pretty picky about rim size for reliable extraction. I sold it because I used it as a plinker and 22 Mag costs a LOT more than 22LR. I wouldn't mind having it back, but not at the prices they seem to bring these days.
I later bought an AMT Backup 45. Fantastic gun for arms length/belly gun use, but totally worthless for anything else. Had a trough cut into the top of the slide for a sight and that trough didn't seem to point anywhere near where the bullet would land, even at 5 yards! The trigger was two weeks long and gritty as hell. The thing weighed about as much as an aluminum framed Commander, too. I don't remember if I sold it or traded it in, but I've never regretted sending it down the road. In it's defense, It always worked.

I owned 2- 380 back ups ( 1 was an OMC), 2- automag II's 22mag, 1- 45acp backup, 2- automag III's 30carb, and a laseraim 45acp. There may have been more I cant remember.

100_1205 - Copy.jpg

Last Edited:
A good friend has an Automag III in 30 Carbine. Even though he says everything is for sale, he won't part with it. I've tried repeatedly.

I have a few AMTs. A Hardballer (good price on that one), 2 Backups, 1 Backup in 22lr.
I had to make my own extractor for one of the 380s because it came broken and I couldn't find one.

All work fine, I guess I've been lucky.

I have a few AMTs. A Hardballer (good price on that one), 2 Backups, 1 Backup in 22lr.
I had to make my own extractor for one of the 380s because it came broken and I couldn't find one.

All work fine, I guess I've been lucky.
My Backup 45 worked fine. All of the time. As a pure "belly gun", it would be very effective.
I got rid of it for other reasons.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads