JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In a SHTF/survival situation or any other situation is there any purpose for, need for or advantage to having an ar15(223/5.56) or ak47(7.62x39) in a pistol form, or short barrel rifle form as compared to carbine length.

I have an AK pistol, they must not be very accurate as they won't let me shoot it at the pit in Vancouver. I don't like the standard AR pistols with the recoil tube either. At least the AK doesn't have that.
The one thing I do like about the AK in pistol form is that I can carry it loaded in my vehicle since I have a CPL in WA. Can't do that with a rifle even with a CPL.

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
Defender of Freedom Award
NRA Recruiter
Second Amendment Foundation Member
Washington Arms Collectors Member
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

they are both plenty accurate if you were able to put a stock on them. an optic also helps. a 8/10" bbl 7.62x39 AK is still effective out to 200yd if you can keep the sights on target - rather hard with a pistol.

the short-barreled 5.56 pistols suffer from severe velocity drop over their carbine counterparts. this reduces the overall effectiveness of 5.56 since it requires every bit of velocity that it can get when it hits its target. 7.62x39 does not suffer the same level of velocity drop - only a couple hundred less FPS.

SHTF? you can do whatever you want with them.

Shtf scenario I would rather have a carbine length. Much more versatile.

I do also own an AR pistol with a 7.5" barrel, it's a fun little weapon. Nice that I can take it anywhere with a CPL, but in a shtf situation, cpl won't matter.

Shoot, check out the Yugo M85 ak pistol.
Purchase mags while they're still affordable.
If common ammo during a shtf is your concern then the M85 is idea being .223/5.56
Otherwise Id suggest the M92 (7.62x39) AK pistol.

Shoot, check out the Yugo M85 ak pistol.
Purchase mags while they're still affordable.
If common ammo during a shtf is your concern then the M85 is idea being .223/5.56
Otherwise Id suggest the M92 (7.62x39) AK pistol.
One of the reasons I just bought a SIG556R is that the 7.62X39 may be easier to find than either the .223 of 5.56 (they are not the same round BTW) in a SHTF situation.

Deen
NRA Recruiter

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

One of the reasons I just bought a SIG556R is that the 7.62X39 may be easier to find than either the .223 of 5.56 (they are not the same round BTW) in a SHTF situation.

Deen
NRA Recruiter

:) Lol, yes I know they are not the same round. But the M85 chambered for 556 can utilize the .223 ammo here in the US hence my ".223/5.56"
Im on the fence about getting the M92 or another 7.62x39 platform. (I own a few) but the idea of a real lack of 7.62x39 may be a reality should importation become an issue later on and domestic production not be enough to meet demand like with .22
However Ive got a nice supply should it become an issue.

But a sig? Nice brother! Id get one if i had the $..
Some decent gun funds you must got there!?

For the 556 bullet to be effective it should be moving at 2100 FPS so that it will "Tumble"
Also the shorter barrel means more gas pressure at the gas port in the barrel w/increased erosion also increased heat in the gas key on the BCG
762X39 piston driven design eliminates these problems
If you actually need to deploy your firearm you want to stop the threat as fast as possible

AK-47 vs AR-15 Part 2, by Nutnfancy - YouTube

I purchased this Arsenal milled receiver Bulgarian SAM-7 Pistol a few months back. It's in 7.62 X 39MM. It's surprisingly accurate, and functions very reliably. It also has a good sight system, and is easy to shoot. These SAM-7 models are expensive, but worth it. Arsenal doesn't offer milled receiver guns very often. The last time was about 10 years ago. They are milled from a hot forging, rather than a block of billet steel. I also bought the SAM-7 milled Bulgarian rifle as well. It is equally as nice.

ArsenalMilledAK-47s007_zps2ab3e515.jpg ArsenalMilledAK-47s005_zps89736f02.jpg

Personally I'd rather have a bunch of 30 or 40 rd mags in shtf. Lighther to carry and if that drum breaks how many replacements will you be able to carry. I'd rather tape 2 40 rd mags than have a drum. Although drums do look pretty sweet ;)

:)
But a sig? Nice brother! Id get one if i had the $..
Some decent gun funds you must got there!?

Wasn't that expensive at just about $1225 shipped to my FFL. Of course the WA use tax added another $100 to that.

Deen
NRA Recruiter

An AR pistol with an 11.5" barrel and a Wrist Stabilizing Device is remarkably accurate. Expect a velocity loss of about 200 - 300 FPS over a 16" barrel, so still useful with ball or expanding ammo out to maybe 100 yards.

if you are considering going the AK route I'd lean toward one in 5.45x39 - ammo is currently way more available and hasn't gone up in price nearly as much as 7.62 - also 5.45 is way more controllable. My favorite full auto (not belt fed) I ever got to play with was a Krink in 5.45. I didn't want to give the customer his toy back after testing it.

A 10.5 inch barrel on an AR gets great accuracy out to about 300 yards with little to no key holing. I would say build an AR pistol with a standard buffer and submit for an SBR. Or if you feel weird about the standard buffer go with a Rock River buffer tube. They are longer and should a bit better than the others out there. You can even throw a cane bumper on it and get a little more shoulder bite. I like that the RR is also simply threaded in. So in case of SHTF. You can just throw on a regular buffer tube and your good to go. An SBR is so much more maneuverable over a carbine or longer IMO. I'm sure you can do the same with an AK. I just never found the AK pistols all that accurate, especially out at longer distances. They key hole past 80 yards I would say from my experiences.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top