Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

AR15 OR AK47 PISTOL

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by The Governor, Jan 1, 2014.

1. The Governor

The Governor salem Member

In a SHTF/survival situation or any other situation is there any purpose for, need for or advantage to having an ar15(223/5.56) or ak47(7.62x39) in a pistol form, or short barrel rifle form as compared to carbine length.

2. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

I have an AK pistol, they must not be very accurate as they won't let me shoot it at the pit in Vancouver. I don't like the standard AR pistols with the recoil tube either. At least the AK doesn't have that.
    The one thing I do like about the AK in pistol form is that I can carry it loaded in my vehicle since I have a CPL in WA. Can't do that with a rifle even with a CPL.

Deen
    NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
    Defender of Freedom Award
    NRA Recruiter
    Second Amendment Foundation Member
    Washington Arms Collectors Member
    Arms Collectors of SW Washington Member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

3. bloodnguts

bloodnguts Seattle Member

They're both range toys. For shtf I'd prefer a rifle, side folder or underfolder for easier carry.

4. mancat

mancat Kitsap County Well-Known Member

they are both plenty accurate if you were able to put a stock on them. an optic also helps. a 8/10" bbl 7.62x39 AK is still effective out to 200yd if you can keep the sights on target - rather hard with a pistol.

the short-barreled 5.56 pistols suffer from severe velocity drop over their carbine counterparts. this reduces the overall effectiveness of 5.56 since it requires every bit of velocity that it can get when it hits its target. 7.62x39 does not suffer the same level of velocity drop - only a couple hundred less FPS.

SHTF? you can do whatever you want with them.

5. 68w

68w Bonney Lake Active Member

Shtf scenario I would rather have a carbine length. Much more versatile.

I do also own an AR pistol with a 7.5" barrel, it's a fun little weapon. Nice that I can take it anywhere with a CPL, but in a shtf situation, cpl won't matter.

6. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

Shoot, check out the Yugo M85 ak pistol.
    Purchase mags while they're still affordable.
    If common ammo during a shtf is your concern then the M85 is idea being .223/5.56
    Otherwise Id suggest the M92 (7.62x39) AK pistol.

7. deen_ad

One of the reasons I just bought a SIG556R is that the 7.62X39 may be easier to find than either the .223 of 5.56 (they are not the same round BTW) in a SHTF situation.

Deen
    NRA Recruiter

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

8. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

:) Lol, yes I know they are not the same round. But the M85 chambered for 556 can utilize the .223 ammo here in the US hence my ".223/5.56"
    Im on the fence about getting the M92 or another 7.62x39 platform. (I own a few) but the idea of a real lack of 7.62x39 may be a reality should importation become an issue later on and domestic production not be enough to meet demand like with .22
    However Ive got a nice supply should it become an issue.

But a sig? Nice brother! Id get one if i had the $..
    Some decent gun funds you must got there!?

9. eriksreality

eriksreality Beaverton Member

In that case I prefer a AR-Pistol. I will mount bump fire buttstock and have 100 rd mags with me.

chariot13 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. erudne

erudne The Pie Matrix PPL Say Sleeping W/Your Rifle Is A bad Thing? Bronze Supporter

For the 556 bullet to be effective it should be moving at 2100 FPS so that it will "Tumble"
    Also the shorter barrel means more gas pressure at the gas port in the barrel w/increased erosion also increased heat in the gas key on the BCG
    762X39 piston driven design eliminates these problems
    If you actually need to deploy your firearm you want to stop the threat as fast as possible

AK-47 vs AR-15 Part 2, by Nutnfancy - YouTube

11. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

I had a Yugo M92 for a while. Sometimes I regret trading it off, but it really is a bit impractical unless you SBR it.

Keith

12. billt

billt Glendale, Arizona Active Member

I purchased this Arsenal milled receiver Bulgarian SAM-7 Pistol a few months back. It's in 7.62 X 39MM. It's surprisingly accurate, and functions very reliably. It also has a good sight system, and is easy to shoot. These SAM-7 models are expensive, but worth it. Arsenal doesn't offer milled receiver guns very often. The last time was about 10 years ago. They are milled from a hot forging, rather than a block of billet steel. I also bought the SAM-7 milled Bulgarian rifle as well. It is equally as nice.

ArsenalMilledAK-47s007_zps2ab3e515.jpg

ArsenalMilledAK-47s005_zps89736f02.jpg

13. akmewon

akmewon clackamas Active Member

Mini draco ftw!!!!not sure what its good for other than looking cool and maybe a shootout in a phone booth size room!!!

IMG_2306.jpg

14. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

Just duct tape a hacksaw blade to the stock for when the "SHTF" actually happens.. at that point, there's no "law". lol

15. bloodnguts

bloodnguts Seattle Member

Personally I'd rather have a bunch of 30 or 40 rd mags in shtf. Lighther to carry and if that drum breaks how many replacements will you be able to carry. I'd rather tape 2 40 rd mags than have a drum. Although drums do look pretty sweet ;)

16. deen_ad

Wasn't that expensive at just about $1225 shipped to my FFL. Of course the WA use tax added another $100 to that.

Deen
    NRA Recruiter

17. Flopsweat

Flopsweat Slightly right of center Well-Known Member

An AR pistol with an 11.5" barrel and a Wrist Stabilizing Device is remarkably accurate. Expect a velocity loss of about 200 - 300 FPS over a 16" barrel, so still useful with ball or expanding ammo out to maybe 100 yards.

18. 308

308 ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ Platinum Supporter Silver Supporter

That is exactly right. Slide in and rivet a new rear trunion and my 7"bbl AK is no longer a range toy

19. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

if you are considering going the AK route I'd lean toward one in 5.45x39 - ammo is currently way more available and hasn't gone up in price nearly as much as 7.62 - also 5.45 is way more controllable. My favorite full auto (not belt fed) I ever got to play with was a Krink in 5.45. I didn't want to give the customer his toy back after testing it.

20. Reno911

Reno911 Hillsboro Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

A 10.5 inch barrel on an AR gets great accuracy out to about 300 yards with little to no key holing. I would say build an AR pistol with a standard buffer and submit for an SBR. Or if you feel weird about the standard buffer go with a Rock River buffer tube. They are longer and should a bit better than the others out there. You can even throw a cane bumper on it and get a little more shoulder bite. I like that the RR is also simply threaded in. So in case of SHTF. You can just throw on a regular buffer tube and your good to go. An SBR is so much more maneuverable over a carbine or longer IMO. I'm sure you can do the same with an AK. I just never found the AK pistols all that accurate, especially out at longer distances. They key hole past 80 yards I would say from my experiences.