JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey all,

Someone has an AR pistol for sale and I'm wondering if you need to have a stripped lower registered as a pistol prior to building a project AR pistol or can one simply be built using a 10 inch upper and a pistol buffer tube and call it a pistol? Is there an assumption that since it's a pistol buffer tube that it's a pistol?

Thanks!

So if it's totally stripped it isn't technically either right? If I were to buy or trade for a stripped lower that's never been anything (sadly, I'm well past 21! :D ) a pistol build should be a go. Sorry, it it seems like I'm asking the same question twice but cyclesarge kinda threw me off there. Which is good as clarification is always welcome (for me anyway!).

Thanks guys.

Rebel: can I buy one of the 10 inch AR uppers at a show without having to get a tax stamp for an AR build? They ones I saw at the last show had "ALL NFA RULES APPLY" tags on them. That's for SBR builds correct?

I think there's some gray area on what the lower was originally registered/transferred as from the manufacturer.

I know that for the pistol build that I did, I bought the lower and had my FFL transfer to me as a pistol. Some have done it as a stripped receiver.
If a receiver was previously assembled as a rifle, and you strip it to build a pistol, that doesn't count either. I know, how do the ATF know what it was assembled as before? I don't know.

You can buy shorty uppers from anywhere and have them shipped directly to you.
Just be sure you don't have an available complete lower with stock, because even if you don't have it assembled you're treading on thin ice as far as intent to build and SBR. I think if you had a rifle lower with stock already mated to a rifle length upper you would be ok.

A lot of this is discussed on the pistol build pages on ar15.com

Hey ORBrit (or should I say OI! :) ),

OK, so if I already have a complete AR (I do) then I should be OK if I decide to make an AR pistol project and first build a stripped lower out as a pistol config and only after I've completed it buy the short barrel upper, correct?

I think that's the best you can do - that's what I did too - made sure I had the lower complete so the instant the shorty upper arrives you can "assign" it to that pistol lower.

So if it's totally stripped it isn't technically either right? If I were to buy or trade for a stripped lower that's never been anything (sadly, I'm well past 21! :D ) a pistol build should be a go. Sorry, it it seems like I'm asking the same question twice but cyclesarge kinda threw me off there. Which is good as clarification is always welcome (for me anyway!).

Thanks guys.

Rebel: can I buy one of the 10 inch AR uppers at a show without having to get a tax stamp for an AR build? They ones I saw at the last show had "ALL NFA RULES APPLY" tags on them. That's for SBR builds correct?

Short answer not any. If the lower is transfered as a rifle, it's a rifle. All the lowers I have I've had transfered as receivers for just this reason!!!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top