JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm looking for a reputable company to Engrave a simple design on my AR Lower and Upper. Possibly my pistol as well. But I can only find 'Laser Etching' which is not gonna work for me. We all know how fast that stuff fades away...

Any help would be most appreciated. I did a search and came up with nothing...

Thanks in advance

**Salem preffered but I'm open to driving if need be**

I spoke with the people at BYE engineering and they said its roughly 20-30 per engraving. And its an additional 20-30 to have a custom pattern made. This is for real deep, rollmark type engraving...not laser etching. I called several other places and found nothing but laser etching services.

Here is the info for those interested:
Bye Engineering
Darla does the pattern work with you & Doug engraves the weapons
They are located in Portland, OR

**If anyone knows of a good online resource to find premade engraving patterns related to guns please do share**

They use a laser etching service done by a trophy shop down the road. I was going to go through one of them until I realized I could get actuall roll mark quality engraving for just a little bit more money and the same turn around time.

I would think that etching wears off pretty quick...can anyone vouge for laser etching? Ever beat up a gun with etching before?

Check with Jason at Blackwater Tactical (12th and cross st S salem) they have some nice work done.:s0155:

plus I went in there yesterday and the guy working the firearm counter mentioned he is all about 'looks' first and 'performance' second when choosing aftermarket parts... I was a bit embarassed for him. This was after he said "No I dont carry the BCM Gun Fighter CH but I have the Vltor CH" (which is the same thing) Then he mentioned how much cooler the 5.7x28 round is than an AR15 round because it penatrates body armor... I wanted to tell him how much more penatrating power a 5.56 has over 5.7x28 but I didn't want to argue. Then he mentioned the 5.7 round is as accurate out of a 6" bbl as it would be out of a 16". At that point I was speechless and left the shop not sure if I would go back again. It was a blonde hair, younger guy that was working counter yesterday. He didn't know anything about .450, .458 and 50AE uppers either. They also have their prices on ammo way too high for me. Palmetto state armory sells XM856 tracers for $9 per box and he wants $18. Same with the Israel M855. That's some serious markup... Who walks into a place like that and spends 2x going rate for ammo? They have some neat guns but most are rough looking and/or over priced as well.

Not trying to start a crap storm right now but I think its valid that I share my experience

Rallysoob:
I am sorry to hear that you had a bad experience at that store. I have been shopping with them sense before they moved and always had a pleasent experience. to my knowledge all three of the guys who work there are OEF or OIF vets and I have never heard any of them talk such BS. Are you sure he wasn't playing with you??that just doen't make sense. There ammo may or may not be Higher priced.I have purchased Packs .gear bags ,and parts kits for builds. I just purchased two lasers in the last month , I felt I was treated very well.. I myself like this store and plan on doing more with them in the future.........I will bust the young guys chops about this when I see him...
Keep shooting Keith

Yeah there was some play going on but he was being serious about the mentioned... I'm not the type to let a good joke fly over. He did say that he "isn't usually involved in the gun part of the business" w/e that means being it's a gunshop. Not sure if he is a new guy or what but from my impression of him I wouldn't think he is a vet. I guess you never know because just being a vet doesn't mean your a weapons expert. Most of my friends who served in Iraq don't care to talk about guns too much and aren't up on whats new etc etc. Call it what you want I guess but their prices are definately too high for me. I'll stick to online orders unless I go down to CNS firearms in Albany to buy their 20rnd packs of PMC M855 for $6 a box. I'm sure they can 'help out' whoever they want but the prices in general aren't for me.

so you know I'm not BS'n check price of XM856 here: <broken link removed>

& PMC M855: <broken link removed> (<apples to oranges I know, but a good deal eh) *I know the imi855 is no longer imported into the US but it still can be found for less than 18 a box**wideners has it instock for $420/1200 and I bet they can find it cheaper...thats $7/20rnds, thats one heck of a markup assuming they buy it in std bulk size)

Wideners IMI M855 1200rnd packs: http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=9019

They also mark up the price on their etched parts so high its laughable. I called the etching place they use and its cheap. Just little stabs at making a buck off some unwitty cutomer makes me want to take my business elsewhere. Some people like to spend too much $ though and thats fine. Walk into a place with all these pretty guns on the wall, get ethered up and pull out their wallets. I guess I'm jaded after seeing all the good deals at gun shows, online, classifieds and what not. It's hard for me to comprehend why people wouldn't do a little research first. I consider myself fair, I have no problem paying over the going rate to get it here and now but when that cost is about triple the going rate I just can't do it.

Sam,

The guy you were talking to was me, and I was totally joking with you about looks first, Performance second, “As long as it looks cool” lol…. I do joke around allot.
As far as the 5.7 Talk, Velocity out of shorter barrels is one great benefit you get from that round, among others of course. We could talk Ballistics all day long, but basically you can realistically dump the entire magazine out of a 5.7 Pistol into a paper plate at 100 Yards. And yes…The 5.7 Round was a major reason NIJ changed to 06 Standards as it will go through body armor (04/05 NIJ) of course that depends on the type of 5.7 but defiantly not a reason to choose the 5.7 over the 5.56/.223 as they are totally different rounds. I am a huge fan of the 5.56! as I spent most of my military carrier as a designated rifleman.
Now You got me on the Charging handle name, as I do all the LE/MIL Contracts I don’t focus much on that type of thing, sorry about that.... Yes, as you pointed out Vltor makes that charging handle.
Stop by the shop and we can show you some great new products as our inventory is updated with new items on a weekly basis. Again, it was good talking with you and we hope to see you again real soon. Also we do strive to be as close to internet prices as possible, of course there are other costs that we have vs. an internet only business, so costs will vary…
I am sure that most of our customers will say our customer service is next to none, and that is really where we pride ourselves.

I'm not going to waste alot of time on this. The "etched parts" that we sell are purchased that way. I am not taking dust covers and having them done. And even if I was, they would charge $15 per cover to do them. So I think $20 a cover installed is more than fair. If you don't like the price, that's fine, don't buy one. As far as ammo, we are not an online dealer. I don't buy 100's of cases at a time to get the price down. I buy from a dist. that takes their cut which inflates the price. You can go to Walmart and buy a 50 round box of Federal 9mm for $10.47. I pay more than that from my dist. plus I have freight again on top of that. Again, if you don't like the price, don't buy it. Nate does the L.E. supply of the business and is not well versed in the firearms side of the shop and he will be the first to tell you that. And as far as who's Veterans and who is not, I would advise you to watch what you say when it comes to that. I do not know who pissed in your Cheerios, but I do know that we have a great bunch of customers who we pride ourselves on taking care of them and in return they help keep us in business. I will never try to compete with the huge on-line companies for pricing because half the time they sell stuff cheaper than what I can buy it for myself and I will openly admit that. With that being said, I send people to Optics Planet all the time for Eotech products because they sell them cheaper that we can buy them for. How many shops will do that for their customers? You're right, NONE! Yet I continue to do so and go out of my way to try to help people out. Bottom line, you don't like our store, you don't like our service, you don't like our pricing, then stay the **** out of out store and do not ever question our service we gave to this country!

I for one love the store! I have never had anything but great service at Blackwater. Jason has always gone out of his way to get parts or find things I was looking for. Its not Walmart nad I dont expect walmart Prices.. but If you looking for equipment and firearms you can bet you life on , This is the place to shop.
These guys have grown the place alot in a short time, and I hope it continues...:s0155:

They will continue to get my $ . . .

Thank you sir! People do not seem to understand that when you have a business, you have alot of overhead to cover. You have $2500 just in rent. You have another $1000 for utilities and garbage service and stuff. Then you have the usual expendertures for customer service, shop supplies and tools, and other stuff. Then at the very end, it's always nice to maybe make a little money to put food on the table for your family. So when I make $3 on a dust cover, I have to sell alot of those in order to keep the doors open and the lights on. Maybe some people just do not think that far ahead. It's frustrating for me for sure!

And as far as who's Veterans and who is not, I would advise you to watch what you say when it comes to that.

Did you just threaten me??? Like...what are you going to do if I don't watch what I say? I'm just curious...because you made this statement like there will be repercussions if I do not "watch what I say." As a dealer you probably shouldn't threaten people willy nilly. I never said anything rude or distasteful about anyones military experience and I'm tempted to file complaint with PD because to be honest I don't feel as safe as I did before I read that. I never said anything to deserve a threat

I didn't mean to piss you guys off but if stating the facts about my experience makes you mad then maybe you should change things around there. Unfortunately I'm not fan boi that looks up to rude people because they have neat gun shop. I spend alot of money on toys and its important to me that I'm treated right when doing so.

You do not dispute the fact your prices are unreasonable which I commend you for. Your excuse about not being able to get bulk ammo as good as I can find it online is non-sense imo. Why wouldn't you just buy it from the same people I find online and bring your prices down? I understand there is more involved like store rent, employee salary etc but come on...every business deals with overhead and there are plenty of businesses in the gun market that sell ammo for a fair price. If you are the only dealer in town that is selling ammo way high then I would think you are paying too much for your supply and need to look elsewhere. Otherwise one can only thing you are not being truthfull about what your costs are... Hey nice new Charger you guys bought by the way...biz must be good?

There is no way you guys are smart enough to start a business but not smart enough to find the same good deals on ammo that other dealers in oregon are able to find. You carry the exact brand/ammo types as rest of them you know...and your price is higher...and they have overhead too. Truth is you guys get alot of LE business so your not really worried about selling high volume/smaller profit...you rahter sell less to the guys that are willing to pay more which is fine...its your business...but don't spout about like your victim of your own business costs and have to relay the pain to your customers. Personally, I would rather make more people happy and build larger customer base through word of mouth.

Just so you know...outside of this forum I do not know one person that has anything positive to say about blackwater. No offense its just the truth. All my friends, family, or fellow gun nuts buy elsewhere and for valid reasons. I've bought ammo from you guys in past and almost bought a can from you in November 11' before I went to class 3 for an ACR can.... but the 3 times I went in your store to try and decide which yhm can I wanted I was treated like I was wasting everyones time. All I wanted to do was decide if I wanted lighter Ti can vs heavier SS can but yall wouldn't take the time to let me feel difference on a 16" bbl. I was getting ready to spend grand on a can and you guys wouldnt even let me see how it felt on 16" which is what I have. It was just too much trouble I guess...well it cost you a customer. Not even sure why I went in there because that was like my 5th bad experience in row. Trust me...I dont plan to go back...especially after reading Sully's threat. Not cool man... you need watch how you talk before you get yourself in legal trouble. Just because you sell guns to LE doesn't make you above the law friend... We all know people...judges, cops, DA's, etc. Your not special

I am not even going to take the time to write a reply on this last message, however I will reply to the question about whether I threatened you.... No, it was not a threat, and that is why I used the word "Advise" ........ It's just good advice.

Enough Said.

Ya I wouldn't comment if I were in your shoes either... To be fair there is one shop that has simular customer service and its called B&S guns in Eugene. But aside from those guys I think you may have won the trophy for least desirable place to shop for me. Like you said... If the price is to high then don't buy it. lol...ya I'm not buying it.

by the way your "God have mercy on my enemy" comment is a bit disturbing as well. Sometimes I wonder if guns make people go crazy...in your case I think its safe to say it has had an effect on your persona. Unfortunately a negative one. Get a puppy, go to church, do sumn...

Wow, Oregon handled himself great, Sully I am a small buisness owner also and I get what you are saying but in my opinion you handled this way wrong. RallySoob I am not sure about you either, but this thread should be deleted cause everyone needs to go get a cup of coffee!

I have always been treated well in Blackwater and will continue to shop there. As for the dude asking about the " God have mercy on my enemies" WTF's wrong with that statement ?? I think it is a fine statement...
SULLY you have a great shop that sells quality stuff.

You know, if the OP had just said "I found this great place to get engraving" and left it at that this could have been a useful post. When the bubblegum and moan session started, however, it just went bad really quickly. I don't come here to read complaints.

Too bad. Could have been a good read.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads